Emiliano Martínez

hippo

41 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The first goal yesterday isn't on Martinez. The ball takes a slight deflection off Bailey's foot which in turn pushes it just wide of Targett's head as he tries to block it, and by that point Martinez is having to dive for a ball he's seeing at the very last second that's crept right inside the post. It's just an unlucky one from the keepers perspective. Really we should have done better blocking it in the first place - Bailey's pretty feeble attempt actually makes it a goal rather than preventing it, which is unlucky in itself but he should have been hurling himself at it.

He's done those half hearted blocks a few times now, Bailey.

• Like 1

I have just watched a YouTube video of his best Villa saves. What a keeper. He’s the best I have seen in a villa shirt and he’s certainly earned his corn over the past 18 months! He just seems to get us as well. He loves us and we love him! He’s worthy of a new contract in my view.

That save. Gets their so early he is able to just calmly palm it over the bar. Completely under control.  Soon he is going to pull a one handed save where he pulls out it out the air Michael Jordan style. 

Unfair to be that tall and that quick.  Unreal keeper. 

That save is up there with Guzan vs QPR for one of the best I've ever seen in real time. Phenomenal.

Regarding his kicking, it's been off for a while now, but I can't help feeling part of the issue is he's been told to kick towards the flanks to prevent the ball coming back at us centrally where we lack height... but we also lack height in wider areas and the ball is never going to stick like it did to Joe Gresford. He also looks to throw it out quickly to start a counter several times per match when he claims, but we never seem to have anyone showing for it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

He also looks to throw it out quickly to start a counter several times per match when he claims, but we never seem to have anyone showing for it.

This happens a lot, Emi is always looking to start the quick counter and more often than not looks disappointed when nobody shows. On some occasions it’s wise to slow things down and not go hell for leather, but sometimes I’d love to see an Emi long bowl out to the flank resulting in a quick goal. 

• Like 1

Â