Emiliano Martínez

hippo

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Have we ever had anyone in the running for any category at the ballon d’or awards?

Paul McGrath was joint 26th in 1993 according to Wikipedia at a time when there was just the Ballon D'Or.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Webhave the 6th best goalkeeper in the world apparently. Thank you Arteta !!

It’s absolutely wild that we have a player in the running for that award… and even more wild to think Arsenal just gave him to us for less than £20m. Nuts.

He’s brilliant.

6 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

even more wild to think Arsenal just gave him to us for less than £20m. Nuts.

He’s brilliant.

Who's judging goalkeepers at Arsenal. Wenger hadn't a clue how to do it and it looks like neither does Arteta. Martinez was at the club for  8 (eight) years! Insane. Even the fans were clamouring for him to be in the team.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Paul McGrath was joint 26th in 1993 according to Wikipedia at a time when there was just the Ballon D'Or.

25 lads should hold their heads in shame knowing they placed above the real winner 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, May-Z said:

He's a great goalkeeper, but that's two against West Ham and one against City where a longer ranger has slipped in. 

Is this a potential weakness?

I thought about this during the game. It could be, he should've caught the first, no matter it may have slightly deflected from Targett. It was a slow strike, you could watch the ball go in.

No chance he should have saved it in my eyes.  He cannot see the ball because Targett is in the way, Targett misses the header about 8 yards out, which doesn't give Emi enough time to get across to it.

Yes he should have saved the Rice one, but I don't think that means there is a weakness there.

1 hour ago, bcarpet said:

No chance he should have saved it in my eyes.  He cannot see the ball because Targett is in the way, Targett misses the header about 8 yards out, which doesn't give Emi enough time to get across to it.

I think he could see it, but it 1) took a wicked bend or a slight nick off Bailey's foot, and 2) he expects Targett to head it away so he can't dive immediately since the expected clearance could go anywhere and the goal left gaping open (KW.gif)

14 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I thought about this during the game. It could be, he should've caught the first, no matter it may have slightly deflected from Targett. It was a slow strike, you could watch the ball go in.

Disagree completely, I thought the same until I saw the behind goal camera which then showed he was unsighted by Targett(’s head). I’m more disappointed Targett didn’t get himself in the way of it… I was actually impressed Emi got as close as he did when he would have been going by instinct.

I am not blind to his faults, eg against West Ham last year he was poor, but I don’t think that goal was his fault at all.

The first goal yesterday isn't on Martinez. The ball takes a slight deflection off Bailey's foot which in turn pushes it just wide of Targett's head as he tries to block it, and by that point Martinez is having to dive for a ball he's seeing at the very last second that's crept right inside the post. It's just an unlucky one from the keepers perspective. Really we should have done better blocking it in the first place - Bailey's pretty feeble attempt actually makes it a goal rather than preventing it, which is unlucky in itself but he should have been hurling himself at it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The first goal yesterday isn't on Martinez. The ball takes a slight deflection off Bailey's foot which in turn pushes it just wide of Targett's head as he tries to block it, and by that point Martinez is having to dive for a ball he's seeing at the very last second that's crept right inside the post. It's just an unlucky one from the keepers perspective. Really we should have done better blocking it in the first place - Bailey's pretty feeble attempt actually makes it a goal rather than preventing it, which is unlucky in itself but he should have been hurling himself at it.

I think he could see it, but was waiting to see where it went off Targett's head before diving.

This was the right call for me anyway, as Targett should have got something on that. Given this expectation, Martinez throwing himself to the floor would mean he has no chance at responding to the deflection he was expecting to get from Targett's head.

A bit of an unfortunate one, but not one to be beating Martinez up about I don't feel.

Edit For balance: Targett probably saw the ball get deflected and had a choice between getting a slight touch on the ball that could have gone anywhere or leaving it in the hope that it wouldn't move and catch Emi out... in my view at least.

Edited by MrBlack

Â