Jump to content

Emiliano Martínez


hippo
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 09/10/2021 at 17:08, Vive_La_Villa said:

What the Grealish sale taught me was if we’re going to lose a top player we are getting a lot of money for him. Hence the 100m clause. 

Players leave clubs, it happens. Stop making out we’re some sort of feeder club at any opportunity.

This is it. We have done it on a youth level and did it this summer with Buendia. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So this morning the quotes from the most popular footballer on the planet Mr Messi  are that Martinez is fundamental to Argentina and is without a doubt one of the greatest goalkeepers in the world. 

That just stuck another £50k a week on his future salary. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

 

 

 

 

He's just fantastic.   Obviously he's going to be attracting interest from clubs who regularly feature in the Champions League but goalkeepers don't tend to move as much as outfield players and who would be able to get him at the moment?   Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City all have goalkeepers they like who are of a similar age.  Moves to clubs like Everton & Spurs are steps sideways, he lived in London for ten years so there's always the possibility he'd want to go back there but it's a minor thing.   He might go abroad but again it's only going to be to a club who can guarantee the knockout stages of the Champions League and the pool of clubs that includes who can pay Premier League wages and don't already have a goalkeeper is pretty small.   I'd totally offer him improved terms if I were Villa, but I'm not freaking out he's gonna be pushing for a move just yet.  It's entirely different to the Grealish thing.

After years of being told he wasn’t good enough and his club constantly thinking they could find better than him, he came to us, became a fan favourite, became Argentina’s number one and won the Copa America…

I think he holds us in high enough regard to want to stay a few more years

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter
16 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Martinez at this moment is an elite player at a trying to be elite club. Just because we gave him the opportunity to become this means something but not everything to a footballer. They are driven by nature in the professional game. His ambition to be number 1 at Argentina has now been achieved. Now he will have further ambitions. 

There are 3 plusses to our situation . Firstly his relationship with Cuts. Do not understimate how good he is as a coach.

Secondly his family being settled. 

Thirdly he did say when he came back from winning the Copa that he was happy and didnt want to leave. 

These will be a big plus. But if a big bid comes in from somewhere his loyalty will be tested for Champions League football. 

We are fans so we cannot understand why anyone would ever want to leave the club we are fanatical about. 

But if he does then i know that 1. We will get big money. 2. We track keepers all over the world and will be able to find a replacement. 

I love the bloke but one thing i have learned from NewJackCiteh is that i will never get too close again emotionally to a player 

If he signs a contract brilliant. If he doesnt and runs it down then we will get good money and replace him. Exact same as Dougie.

Fans from teams like Brentford, are battle hardened to it......

From the days of Gerry Hitchens leaving, then Andy Gray and David Platt, its happened.

The trick is being ready for it and having adequate replacements.

I think the path we are treading, gives me more confidence that, that  is exactly what's happening.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

After years of being told he wasn’t good enough and his club constantly thinking they could find better than him, he came to us, became a fan favourite, became Argentina’s number one and won the Copa America…

I think he holds us in high enough regard to want to stay a few more years

He seems like a guy who values loyalty highly - and it looks like he has a great relationship with the club, staff and fans. It's also not like playing for us hampers his chances of being an international regular, as I think that was also a factor in Grealish going (thanks mouthgate, you prick). 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Top Goalkeeper.

I will be amazed if we are able to keep him next summer.

Dunno who'd buy him who hasn't already got a solid #1 GK. Juventus maybe, Valencia, Inter (Handanovic nearing 38), Dortmund? Can't see any English clubs coming in for him, and the likes of Barca/Madrid/Paris etc.. are all sorted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He seems like a guy who values loyalty highly - and it looks like he has a great relationship with the club, staff and fans. It's also not like playing for us hampers his chances of being an international regular, as I think that was also a factor in Grealish going (thanks mouthgate, you prick). 

 

 

He is a good guy but we can't expect to keep him long term unless we miraculously get Champions League football next couple of years! I would imagine he has a taste for trophies now. Hopefully he'll sign an extension and we get alot of money for him when the time comes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He seems like a guy who values loyalty highly - and it looks like he has a great relationship with the club, staff and fans. It's also not like playing for us hampers his chances of being an international regular, as I think that was also a factor in Grealish going (thanks mouthgate, you prick). 

 

 

Mate… I’m happy with us signing non-English players to be honest…

The less exposure to the English Super League wanking circle and their weaselling ways, the better…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Dunno who'd buy him who hasn't already got a solid #1 GK. Juventus maybe, Valencia, Inter (Handanovic nearing 38), Dortmund? Can't see any English clubs coming in for him, and the likes of Barca/Madrid/Paris etc.. are all sorted.

I'm the same, the market for keepers isn't great

Dortmund bought a new one this year

Juve aside everyone is sorted, he may be better than de gea but utd would have to shift de gea to buy him and there's no one to buy de gea 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Fans from teams like Brentford, are battle hardened to it......

From the days of Gerry Hitchens leaving, then Andy Gray and David Platt, its happened.

The trick is being ready for it and having adequate replacements.

I think the path we are treading, gives me more confidence that, that  is exactly what's happening.

Slightly off tangent for a second i think i would be more disapointed if some of the Youngsters were to leave and go to the usual suspects than Martinez..They are part of a plan and set up that is aiming to bring through a fair few players together and give them the chance to shine that isnt prevalent at many other clubs. Thats what really excites me 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Dunno who'd buy him who hasn't already got a solid #1 GK. Juventus maybe, Valencia, Inter (Handanovic nearing 38), Dortmund? Can't see any English clubs coming in for him, and the likes of Barca/Madrid/Paris etc.. are all sorted.

Newcastle...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's played second fiddle to other goalkeepers for too long to want to push for a move to a CL club right now IMO.  I mean, maybe in another couple of seasons if we're not really progressing*, but I genuinely think he values what we've given him (and obviously we value him too!).

 

 

 

* - Full disclosure though, I thought this about Grealish...

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter

I'd be delighted if we get a few more years of him, but I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the season and not get my hopes up. It's absolutely outrageous we signed a player of this quality for twenty something million. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

He's played second fiddle to other goalkeepers for too long to want to push for a move to a CL club right now IMO.  I mean, maybe in another couple of seasons if we're not really progressing*, but I genuinely think he values what we've given him (and obviously we value him too!).

 

 

 

* - Full disclosure though, I thought this about Grealish...

I thought Grealish would stay with us because he's a life long fan and we were clearly on a continuing upwards trend.  I didn't think he was loyal or a genuine guy (drink driving is a crime and he totally mugged the legal system off to get away with it).

Emi strikes me as a nice bloke who regularly speaks about loyalty and appreciating what we did for him. Totally different characters for sure,   whether it results in any different outcome remains to be seen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...
Â