Emiliano Martínez

hippo

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

We also have international breaks in October and November. We can't have this happen twice more.

If the countries don't make it off the red list or the rules don't change,  we could be in for a problematic season. 

Got to hope one of those things changes as you know the Argentinian FA won't budge. 

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

If the countries don't make it off the red list or the rules don't change,  we could be in for a problematic season. 

Got to hope one of those things changes as you know the Argentinian FA won't budge. 

Just friggin' typical that we are the club most affected by this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I see we still have no idea about what’s actually happening and the irrational opinions are still flowing freely. Ya gotta love message boards.

The Argentina FA have said that the players have to play all three games. How is that “no idea” exactly? They’ll then have to isolate, whether in a hotel room in the UK or on a Croatian island, but either way they won’t be playing for us. Seems fairly straightforward to me.

18 minutes ago, Risso said:

The Argentina FA have said that the players have to play all three games. How is that “no idea” exactly? They’ll then have to isolate, whether in a hotel room in the UK or on a Croatian island, but either way they won’t be playing for us. Seems fairly straightforward to me.

Or in Buendia's case, sit on the bench for 3 games and then miss three games for us as a result.

I'd like to think if Argentina do decide not to release them early that we will think twice about letting them go for the other meetings.

Its not as if we haven't been fair with both parties!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Just friggin' typical that we are the club most affected by this.

Especially when up until last year we hadn’t had an Argentinian player for donkeys years!!

I still think they’ll come back after second game. Argentina manager just being a prick. 

We didn't have to send them. I expect we won't be sending them again so long as that option remains. The Argies have burned a bridge if all the reports are true. They think they're being clever. They're being tinpot. It's weird when you're faced with actual tinpot behaviour.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I mean sure, the club isn’t going to go bust, but it’s not exactly happy days? 

This season is quickly turning into a farce. 

I mean, the only additional game they'll miss is Everton isn't it? So it's not the end of the world. Though, I could be misinformed on that. 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We don’t have to drop them, they won’t be able to play! They’ll miss the United game too. That’s a self imposed 3 match ban. 

Oh seems I am misinformed judging by your post here. 

45 minutes ago, BOF said:

We didn't have to send them. I expect we won't be sending them again so long as that option remains. The Argies have burned a bridge if all the reports are true. They think they're being clever. They're being tinpot. It's weird when you're faced with actual tinpot behaviour.

The thing that I find really frustrating is the Argentinan FA’s behaviour in all this. We have been more than fair, and gone against our own wishes as well as our leagues wishes to offer a fair compromise. What if we’d taken the same approach as United with Cavani? It does feel like they think they can do as they wish, unfortunately FIFA are going to back them 100% on this as it’s for their tournament.

Edited by Woody1000

Just now, Woody1000 said:

The thing that I find really frustrating is the Argentinan FA’s behaviour in all this. We have been more than fair, and gone against our own wishes as well as out leagues wishes to offer a fair compromise. What if we’d taken the same approach as United with Cavani? It does feel like they think they can do as they wish, unfortunately FIFA are going to back them 100% on this as it’s for their tournament.

Yep, they've taken advantage of it and they've burned themselves for short term gain. They will never again get a favour from the club if we have any sense and the players can have no complaints going forward.  My only concern out of it is we know how players are, and this might end up damaging the relationship between the club and the players when we inevitably tell them they're not travelling next time. Even though we're in the right to do so. Players probably have a short memory and can be quite entitled. I hope we don't end up with 2 sulkers looking for the next exit door.

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yep, they've taken advantage of it and they've burned themselves for short term gain. They will never again get a favour from the club if we have any sense and the players can have no complaints going forward.  My only concern out of it is we know how players are, and this might end up damaging the relationship between the club and the players when we inevitably tell them they're not travelling next time. Even though we're in the right to do so. Players probably have a short memory and can be quite entitled. I hope we don't end up with 2 sulkers looking for the next exit door.

This is my big concern longer term. The ‘right’ thing to do is tell the Argentinian FA where to go come the next international break, but as you rightly point out that could turn pretty nasty very quickly if we do indeed try and block them from playing. It’s moments like this that are a bit deflating as a fan because it’s a reminder that we’re just little old Aston Villa, and we’ve just got to put up with it.

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They will be available for Spurs then its another international break 🙄😂

doubt that we'll sacrifice them for that many games if we feel that we're being shafted by the Argentinian FA and I'm sure our players will understand this if push comes to shove.

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They’ll be back as planned. Trust me. Argentina manager will then come out with how he let them leave but he’s not happy about it etc.

This is my view. It would be pretty shocking actually if the players went against their word and returned late, particularly Buendia who has just joined us - not a good way to endear yourself to your new employer and team mates. They could likely expect fines similar to Harry Kane missing the start of pre-season if they return late and I would also expect Buendia may lose his place in the starting 11 (Martinez is harder to drop however). Regardless of what is 'right' in this situation, the players know the terms that they agreed with the club before they left for duty. 

The Argentinian manager is just looking out for his own best interests by applying pressure, but it doesn't mean anything if the players are true to their word.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

That's not really how I see it - I mean "send" - we don't send them, they are free men and perfectly at liberty to go.

The FIFA rules of the thing say the club has to release them if they are called up and they have to go if called up or (in either event) they can be banned from playing for the club for a period of time.

The issue at the core of it is the Gov't red list and the requirement for 10 days isolation. That's what's causing the problems.

• Thanks 1

So,how is Martinez ? I watched the Columbia Vs Argentina game today and play was held up for5/6 minutes while Martinez got treatment,then he was carried off on a stretcher with those block things, one on each side of his head. 

• Shocked 1

Â