Emiliano Martínez

hippo

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Technically if we pull them back without permission then Argentina can get them banned by FIFA. I think its up to 3 games now

Really? I thought it was the date of the international fixture + 5 days?

I can understand Emi wanting to go as he has just established himself as the Argentina no1 and doesn't want to jeopardise that.

But if the agreement with Villa is to only play 2 matches so he is back for Everton then he has to abide by that - we pay his wages FFS. 

I'm worried by Steer in goal against Chelsea but at least it's just one game - if they miss Everton as well (a more winnable game) I'll be livid. 

And with Buendia going I assume he is going to get some minutes on the pitch this time and make his debut otherwise he'd have been better off staying and training with us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I don’t see that we have any power in the situation. 

Fine the players and block them from the next intl break if they stay for the 3rd game? Up to them if they want to risk that, they knew what they signed up for regardless of what Argentina manager says.

Edited by mikeyjavfc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Fine the players and block them from the next intl break if they stay for the 3rd game? Up to them if they want to risk that, they knew what they signed up for regardless of what Argentina manager says.

Don’t think we can do either of those things tho if the players are determined to go.

3 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

The club has no power to block them from joining international squads. We don't own them, just employ. If they have agreed to be back for Everton and don't. Drop them, regardless of the effect on the team. If they give a shit about their club careers then they will adhere to the agreement. If one was made. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Are any of us shocked by this news?

I’m shocked that Villa have released a statement that in retrospect is going to make them look like complete mugs if the players don’t come back. At least Spurs stayed quiet on the issue.

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

I’m shocked that Villa have released a statement that in retrospect is going to make them look like complete mugs if the players don’t come back. At least Spurs stayed quiet on the issue.

It seems to be something happening quite a bit recently!

• Like 1

Disappointed with Argentina here. I understand why they wanted the players for at least a couple of these games but the Bolivia game is likely to be a pointless fixture, they have good backup for Martinez, and Buendia doesn’t even start. Makes no sense for them to posture towards Villa like this, when we’ve shown willingness to compromise.

• Like 1

The Villa statement said it was agreed with the players. You would assume the players had spoken to the Argentinian manager?

I don't think for one minute the Emi's have deceived anyone. More like the Argentinian authorities have changed their minds and are being awkward. 

Both players have agreed to make themselves available for Argentina’s vital first two World Cup qualifying matches against Venezuela and Brazil but will not take part in the third international match against Bolivia. 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/august/Mart-nez-and-Buend-a-join-up-with-Argentina/

Â