Emiliano Martínez

hippo

57 minutes ago, blandy said:

The Argentina FA could ask for them to be barred from playing for their clubs if they failed to report for duty. It's happened in the past with players who refused call ups for countries - any player refusing is liable to the Fifa rule that they can't play for their club during the international window plus five days after, so the Argie FA could ask for that to happen and they'd be even worse off - annoying their nation and their club. The compromise is a good way out.

Is that really very likely though? There's dozens of players affected by this, and the Football Associations of the South American countries (and elsewhere) surely aren't going to want a falling out with the big European clubs.

Also I keep seeing that they're going to only miss one match. I'd have to say it's very unlikely that they'll be in any condition to play in the Everton match as well. They've got 10 days in self isolation in a government-chosen hotel room to deal with, then in the best case scenario they'll be allowed out sometime on the Friday before the Everton game, having been sat in a hotel room for the best part of two weeks with little or no exercise and certainly no training. If they're not away sharpish from Brazil on the Monday, they actually won't be getting out until the day of the Everton match itself. Either way you would have to say that's not ideal preparation for an important game.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Risso said:

Is that really very likely though? There's dozens of players affected by this, and the Football Associations of the South American countries (and elsewhere) surely aren't going to want a falling out with the big European clubs.

Also I keep seeing that they're going to only miss one match. I'd have to say it's very unlikely that they'll be in any condition to play in the Everton match as well. They've got 10 days in self isolation in a government-chosen hotel room to deal with, then in the best case scenario they'll be allowed out sometime on the Friday before the Everton game, having been sat in a hotel room for the best part of two weeks with little or no exercise and certainly no training. If they're not away sharpish from Brazil on the Monday, they actually won't be getting out until the day of the Everton match itself. Either way you would have to say that's not ideal preparation for an important game.

I'd also be very surprised if the Argentinian FA severely punished their Copa America winning star keeper because he followed rules given to him by the league he plays in and the club he plays for. 

‘Romero, Lo Celso, Martinez and Buendia will go to an island in Croatia after the Argentina matches to train for 10 days. Once that period is over, they will return to their respective clubs and be able to join straight away.’

Pulled from Facebook.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 hour ago, Risso said:

It's happened before, definitely, but it's not that common. I mean mostly players want to play and mostly there's not a pandemic :)

How likely it would be is open to conjecture. I think it's 50:50, other views are available. I think Argentina would want to set a precedent, and I'm not sure they have the same concern about upsetting the English clubs, as say Wales had when Ryan Giggs kept missing games when he was at Man U. Equally, if the players (Emi + Emi) were being seriously pressured by their club, maybe the Argie FA wouldn't want to compound their (the players) problems?

Reading that Cavani has chose to stay with United. 

Liked what Ole said. 

“It’s an impossible situation for the clubs, it’s an impossible situation for the players. We understand that there are rules and broader issues here, that’s why we have to follow the rules and get on with it. I don’t want to be the one moaning but if there was a choice for me, playing for Norway or playing for Man United, I know who my employer is.”

I fully agree. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

As I said, it was hard to imagine them being locked away in a quarantine hotel. I’ve been to Croatian islands and it wasn’t for training, but I’m sure our guys will come back fit and ready for the Everton match. And if it wasn’t for the quarantine rules they would’ve stayed to play Bolivia (if they do this now then the situation is different) and missed Chelsea anyway, plus still be jet lagged for our next game.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

They've gone against the clubs wishes by going, surely if they break the compromise that was agreed they will face consequences. It doesn't send a great message. 

So much against the club’s wishes that when they went the club said on its website, “Emi Martínez and Emi Buendía have travelled to join up with the Argentina squad with the permission of the club in accordance with FIFA’s international match call-up rules. 

Stop making stuff up.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

So much against the club’s wishes that when they went the club said on its website, “Emi Martínez and Emi Buendía have travelled to join up with the Argentina squad with the permission of the club in accordance with FIFA’s international match call-up rules. 

Stop making stuff up.

Dean Smith said the club didn't want them to go.

32 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

They didn't. But the narrative being pushed by some is that the two Emis were refused permission but have traveled anyway. This isn't the case; we know a compromise was reached that suits everyone.

We know Smith is a good man manager. He'll know that allowing them to go will build trust and keep their morale up, which is only a good thing in the long run.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greenfly said:

They didn't. But the narrative being pushed by some is that the two Emis were refused permission but have traveled anyway. This isn't the case; we know a compromise was reached that suits everyone.

We know Smith is a good man manager. He'll know that allowing them to go will build trust and keep their morale up, which is only a good thing in the long run.

I don't think the club said no you can't go and they've just decided to go. However I do feel the club were probably forced into this compromise. It was clear from Smith's original quote that the club didn't want them to go.

And the worry now is that they won't follow that compromise and will play all of the international games because of the attitude from Argentina. 

It's a messy situation. I really agree with what Ole said in my previous post. 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

But that’s old news and overtaken by the agreement mentioned in the official statement from the club that I keep posting.

I think what the club really didn’t want was for them to risk a period of isolation. I’m sure they didn’t mind them going on international duty.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

But that’s old news and overtaken by the agreement mentioned in the official statement from the club that I keep posting.

I think what the club really didn’t want was for them to risk a period of isolation. I’m sure they didn’t mind them going on international duty.

I completely agree with the 2nd part. I think it's all down to that. 

And I know the compromise was made but my post said the clubs original wishes. And from what Smith said, it's clear that they didn't want them to go at first. 

I get a compromise was made, which personally I feel the club have been pushed into making because both players were so keen to go. I just hope they stick to that agreed deal and don't play the extra game. 

I think it will reflect badly if that happens. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Risso said:

The Argentina FA don't seem too keen on releasing Emi and Emi from the third match, meaning they'll miss Everton and the Chelsea League Cup games.

Technically if we pull them back without permission then Argentina can get them banned by FIFA. I think its up to 3 games now

Â