Emiliano Martínez

hippo

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I have to say that’s harsh on @DCJonah

i’m very conflicted on this.  

One side of me totally agrees with DC, with everything gone on pandemic and everything that players not only go to red listed countries but also suffer impacting missing a game with us, it just feels wrong them doing this for a variety of reasons and I understand peoples points over the last few days but I still think them going is wrong!

The other side of me understands they are new to the international scene, don’t want to risk their places in the Argentina squad, love playing for their country and should be in a fairly secure bubble.  Also they have comprised only doing two games and not the full three so only miss one of our games.

So I get what DC is saying and having a go at his views is wrong.  I think the two Emi’s are wrong for going, I really do, but I understand their reasoning.

I personally favour club over country in all things and do not understand anyone who feels the opposite, but to each their own and I would defend the right of anyone who feels otherwise. I will say that Argentinians are fiercely proud of their country, their nation, their heritage, and they are certainly entitled to that. Good luck to them.

As for it being wrong to have a go at DCJonah's views, I don't see you defending the dozens of people he's had a go at on here (repeatedly and ad nauseum, time and again) for holding a different view/belief to him. So I don't think I agree with you there, with respect Nick.

We are talking about a player just getting a start in his national team and one who only just bagged the no. 1 jersey for himself on the back of some awesome performances. I fully support them going out there - to not do so would have put them back down the pecking order they have worked hard to rise up. Not joining up with this squad could have impacted on their international career going forward.

Unlike England where players show little joy in playing for their international team, some players from other countries actually enjoy it

• Like 4

That club statement in full, since done don’t seem to have read and understood it.

Aston Villa can confirm Emi Martínez and Emi Buendía have travelled to join up with the Argentina squad with the permission of the club in accordance with FIFA’s international match call-up rules. 

Both players have agreed to make themselves available for Argentina’s vital first two World Cup qualifying matches against Venezuela and Brazil but will not take part in the third international match against Bolivia. 

These arrangements mean that Martínez and Buendía will only miss our Premier League match with Chelsea before being available for the visit of Everton to Villa Park on 18th September in order to comply with the UK’s Covid quarantine regulations. 

There are no easy solutions as the Covid-19 pandemic continues to adversely impact professional sport. After careful consideration we think this plan respects the long established call-up rules and balances the importance which top players place on representing their countries in important matches with the best interests of Aston Villa. 

We wish all of our players who are joining up with their national teams the best of luck in their upcoming matches.

The matter is closed, there is nothing to debate. A sensible compromise has been reached and the club are wishing the players well in their international matches, just as I would have expected VT-ers to do.

I am a bit confused that one or two posters who normally appear try hard to shut down any criticism of the club and the manager are now criticising the very sensible and pragmatic agreement that has been reached.

Surely the club and manager can’t have got this wrong?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I have to say that’s harsh on @DCJonah

i’m very conflicted on this.  

One side of me totally agrees with DC, with everything gone on pandemic and everything that players not only go to red listed countries but also suffer impacting missing a game with us, it just feels wrong them doing this for a variety of reasons and I understand peoples points over the last few days but I still think them going is wrong!

The other side of me understands they are new to the international scene, don’t want to risk their places in the Argentina squad, love playing for their country and should be in a fairly secure bubble.  Also they have comprised only doing two games and not the full three so only miss one of our games.

So I get what DC is saying and having a go at his views is wrong.  I think the two Emi’s are wrong for going, I really do, but I understand their reasoning.

Let's flip it the other way - the Argentine league is the richest and all the English/British players play there and Britain is on the red list. Now the English players are not allowed to travel how would the English fans feel /respond then? 

It's this hypocritical government which allows 40-50k to sit next to each other yet elite sportspeople (cricket, F1, Football etc) who have been living and playing in bubbles for over a year now with regular testing and screening that have to quarantine from a red list country. Ridiculous.

This government is a joke.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Let's flip it the other way - the Argentine league is the richest and all the English/British players play there and Britain is on the red list. Now the English players are not allowed to travel how would the English fans feel /respond then? 

It's this hypocritical government which allows 40-50k to sit next to each other yet elite sportspeople (cricket, F1, Football etc) who have been living and playing in bubbles for over a year now with regular testing and screening that have to quarantine from a red list country. Ridiculous.

This government is a joke.

I agree the government is a joke but it does sound like they are only missing the last qualifier to be available for Everton. So if there was no quarantine rules they probably would have played the game against Boliva too which makes them unavailable for any games that weekend anyway. 

FIFA are also a joke and go against their own rules of setting games on dates which cause players to miss club duty. 

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

That club statement in full, since done don’t seem to have read and understood it.

The matter is closed, there is nothing to debate. A sensible compromise has been reached and the club are wishing the players well in their international matches, just as I would have expected VT-ers to do.

I am a bit confused that one or two posters who normally appear try hard to shut down any criticism of the club and the manager are now criticising the very sensible and pragmatic agreement that has been reached.

I'm not really sure who isn't understanding it? Not sure the need for such a patronising post aimed at those only offering their opinions. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

The club and manager have done nothing wrong. I think they've handled it the best they possibly could. I think the players have put them in a difficult position.

• Like 1

I just hate it when there are international breaks during the season… if there was some way to shorten the span/duration of the season and for internationals to be played after it completed that would be ideal. Players could stay with their countries for longer or a continuous period and get through games that way. 

Never going to happen, would be great though.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I personally favour club over country in all things and do not understand anyone who feels the opposite, but to each their own and I would defend the right of anyone who feels otherwise. I will say that Argentinians are fiercely proud of their country, their nation, their heritage, and they are certainly entitled to that. Good luck to them.

As for it being wrong to have a go at DCJonah's views, I don't see you defending the dozens of people he's had a go at on here (repeatedly and ad nauseum, time and again) for holding a different view/belief to him. So I don't think I agree with you there, with respect Nick.

I don't have a go at them. I respond to their criticism. Usually because it follows an agenda. 

People are more than free to differ with my opinion on this. I'm not crying about it. 

38 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

This is a football fan’s forum and someone who has been following football as long as you must know that being a fan is at times a very emotional and reactive experience.

You are never going to be able to stamp out the sort of reactions you are citing here and impose the type of discussion you are advocating - my advice would be to accept them for what they are and shrug and move on if you find some comments too negative.

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Honestly, I’d agree with it.  We are in a pandemic with countries at different places in the cycle. I have no issue with it.  Yes the rules are a bit all over the place but red listed countries are red for a reason and people shouldn’t be travelling to them whether that was Argentina or England.

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

I agree with your sentiment generally of the crowds vs the player bubbles.  We also have to realise players have mixed with regular people outside of the clubs as we see on the social media platforms daily so the bubbles aren’t really secure bubbles . We also know a lot of footballers aren’t taking the vaccine.  We also know that a player going to a red list country is a lot more at risk of exposure to COVID than normal by its very definition of being a red listed country.

I agree the government rules are mixed up but they should be more tight than less tight imo.  As for players, their health is one of their key attributes to play football and they are exposing that to more risk, I can’t say that is a good thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Just because two parties agree to something doesn’t mean a third party can’t disagree to it.  Just because you don’t have an issue with it doesn’t mean we can’t.  It is what it is but as a forum we can debate the merits of it, in fact that’s what this forum is, to debate things happening and a lot of what has happened already.

If one of the Emi’s gets back and suddenly has a positive test he then has to isolate for another ten days. Yes he could get it here but the exposure is greater in a red listed country than here.  So more risk.  Doesn’t matter if he has symptoms or not it’s about the positive test.

Edited by nick76

Conflicted on them missing games for Villa to represent their country so I won't get into that, but I somehow find it hard to believe that they'll come back and be locked in a quarantine hotel with all the shitmunchers. What's to stop the club or the league opening their own quarantine hotel where players can train or at least exercise to some sort of normal extent while isolating? We're talking about million of pounds worth of assets here, billions if players of other nationalities were going too.

• Like 2

Should be interesting then. If the players have agreed to a deal with us then they should follow through with that. They've already gone against our original wishes, to do it twice after the club compromised would be even worse. 

I hope this isn't true.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Conflicted on them missing games for Villa to represent their country so I won't get into that, but I somehow find it hard to believe that they'll come back and be locked in a quarantine hotel with all the shitmunchers. What's to stop the club or the league opening their own quarantine hotel where players can train or at least exercise to some sort of normal extent while isolating? We're talking about million of pounds worth of assets here, billions if players of other nationalities were going too.

Shitmunchers! 😂 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Not so good news

This third game is really winding me up. I think there’s grounds for a legal case against it due to FIFA’s own rules around qualifiers. (Was posted several pages back).  

Such a bullshit corruption organisation. 

If a compromise has been agreed between the players and club then I don’t see what the Argentinian FA can do about it, it’s not national service and they aren’t playing for us instead so surely they are powerless? If the players go back on the agreement then we have a massive problem….

• Like 2

Â