Emiliano Martínez

hippo

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But we need to see progression every season in order to keep them.

This is why we lost the likes of Milner and Barry in the past. We just couldn't get over the line and match their ambitions.

And the Oil Sheiks took over at Man City and Lerner shit his pants because he couldn't compete financially...

6 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

And the Oil Sheiks took over at Man City and Lerner shit his pants because he couldn't compete financially...

Barry said the reason he left was because he couldn't see it realistic winning trophies at Villa.

I don't want that happening again. We need to see constant progression and as fans never settle for mediocrity.

20 hours ago, villalad21 said:

This is why we lost the likes of Milner and Barry in the past. We just couldn't get over the line and match their ambitions.

Not quite. There isn’t a club in the country that could  prevent their players from moving to City. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

17 hours ago, villalad21 said:

OK so we are finishing 17th again this season? 

18 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think that tells the whole story. Back then we needed coinage and if they were here now with our current Owners or I'll put it in better words if we had our Owners back then I doubt Barry or Milner would of been sold. Big clubs did what big clubs did back then and they would take advantage of everyone elsees misfortune. The crap those clubs were going through couldn't stop such moves because clubs just needed the money. Nowa days there are so many rich Owners in this league it's much easier to tell big clubs to do one and they have not the power to bully there way into deals as they did a decade and more ago.

Put it simply our Owners coming in gave us F off power or Grealish would of gone faster than lightning for peanuts.

Much easier to be a big boy when you have the money to back up your big boy words against the big boys and I do not believe any club could back NSWE into a corner and bully them into selling anyone they don't want to sell. Our Owners don't need the money, I'd go as far as to say they are bored and want ways to spend it, they have that much of it.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

Slightly off topic but I sent Emi a tweet on Saturday to congratulate him on another clean sheet and a fantastic performance. He actually tweeted me back to say thanks! Just when you thought you couldn’t love the man any more!

He is the second most important player at the club in my view. We must do everything to keep him for as long as we can. He is a superstar.

Edited by M_Afro
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Slightly off topic but I sent Emi a tweet on Saturday to congratulate him on another clean sheet and a fantastic performance. He actually tweeted me back to say thanks! Just when you thought you couldn’t love the man any more!

He is the second most important player at the club in my view. We must do everything to keep him for as long as we can. He is a superstar.

If Jack wasn't Jack, EMI would 100 percent probably be my Captain pick.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Tyrone?

Not a fan of GK captains myself, no matter how fabulous they may be. Potentially too far from the action.

Yeah thought of him as well after I typed it to be fair.

Between him and Tyrone, or Captain/Vice Captain combo.

As you say, Tyrone will have more influence all over the pitch as he is vocal and involved all over.

It's just Emis attitude and leadership qualities I'm extremely impressed by.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

On 09/03/2021 at 18:46, villalad21 said:

I agree but people are worried about him leaving this summer and i just can't see it. If next season there's no progression, then that's a worry for the following summer  

The think that annoyed me most about Friday is the fact that Emi was denied another clean sheet. Are there any stats around how many points a goalkeeper has earned his team? I know it would have to be very subjective but it would be interesting to see how much difference he has made to us.

9 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

The think that annoyed me most about Friday is the fact that Emi was denied another clean sheet. Are there any stats around how many points a goalkeeper has earned his team? I know it would have to be very subjective but it would be interesting to see how much difference he has made to us.

Yeah I'd say he's earned us a crazy amount of points this season, I'd love to see more stats being recorded but all people look at really are goals and assists.

I'd go as far to say Martinez is our version of Schmeichel from UTD in the 90s.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Yeah I'd say he's earned us a crazy amount of points this season, I'd love to see more stats being recorded but all people look at really are goals and assists.

I'd go as far to say Martinez is our version of Schmeichel from UTD in the 90s.

Good analogy. He was immense for them. I’ve always found it strange the way that the role of gk is so often diminished. “We’d have won easy if it wasn’t for your gk!”. It’s almost as though some people do not consider the gk as being an integral part of the team. You never hear “We’d have beaten you easily if your striker hadn’t scored a hat trick!”

• Thanks 1

Off the top of my mind he won us at least two points in first match by saving the penalty as the other week showed no certainty we'd have won even v 10 if we'd gone behind from the penalty.

0-0 at Brighton is another obvious one as is the 1-0 at Southampton when he made two incredible saves last minutes.

Wolves away last he made that brilliant stop b Dendoncker with 10 minutes left so arguably 3 points there.

8-10 points I think but then I don't think Heaton or Steer would've let all the shots in that Emi has faced as they're decent keepers aswell.

Â