Emiliano Martínez

hippo

44 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I read in an article on our playstyle that we're generally happy to let the opposition have the ball around the edges of the box and keep our shape instead, so it's be interesting to know how many of the shots he's saved are genuinely threatening.

It might be that his save stats are so high because the opposition are taking shots from range that are very unlikely to get past him and we shouldn't necessarily change our style to try and cut them out.

Agree.  It does cause some concern seeing the ball in those dangerous places so much,  but I think that's more due to the history we have.

For a long time, when opposition players have got into those positions, our defence has gifted them a through ball or left a man unmarked on a cross, and we've had a below average keeper between the sticks. The end result we're used to seeing has become the exception, rather than the norm.

I'm still not fully comfortable with the approach, but it cannot be argued that it isn't working.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I read in an article on our playstyle that we're generally happy to let the opposition have the ball around the edges of the box and keep our shape instead, so it's be interesting to know how many of the shots he's saved are genuinely threatening.

It might be that his save stats are so high because the opposition are taking shots from range that are very unlikely to get past him and we shouldn't necessarily change our style to try and cut them out.

Was just about to post something similar!  With our defenders having pretty high "blocked" stats and our goalkeeper making a lot of saves, it points more to the opposition having shots from distance to try and score against us.  I can't see anything concrete on this, but I checked WhoScored and looked for something relevant.

If you check "team" data and head into the detailed analysis, Villa show as 4th on the overall Save rankings (92 saves).  At the same time, we're 1st for most saves from outside the box (43), 9th for most saves within the penalty area (45) and 14th for most saves from within the 6 yard box (4).  This suggests that we're making a concerted effort not to allow the opposition near our goal and are actively blocking routes through the centre of the pitch, forcing players out wide - which is backed up by our position as 4th overall blocked shots (99), and 20th overall (worst in the league!) for 'attempted tackles' with 513.  We don't press to win the ball back, we soak up play and counter.

Interestingly while looking at these stats - and possibly more an indication of having Grealish in the team more than anything - we're 18th in the league for number of passes made (9,378).  Only West Brom and Newcastle have made fewer.  Yet, when you look at 'key passes', we're 6th with 262 - only Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd and Leeds are above us.  Effective use of the ball, for sure.

(I love Emi)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Was just about to post something similar!  With our defenders having pretty high "blocked" stats and our goalkeeper making a lot of saves, it points more to the opposition having shots from distance to try and score against us.  I can't see anything concrete on this, but I checked WhoScored and looked for something relevant.

If you check "team" data and head into the detailed analysis, Villa show as 4th on the overall Save rankings (92 saves).  At the same time, we're 1st for most saves from outside the box (43), 9th for most saves within the penalty area (45) and 14th for most saves from within the 6 yard box (4).  This suggests that we're making a concerted effort not to allow the opposition near our goal and are actively blocking routes through the centre of the pitch, forcing players out wide - which is backed up by our position as 4th overall blocked shots (99), and 20th overall (worst in the league!) for 'attempted tackles' with 513.  We don't press to win the ball back, we soak up play and counter.

Interestingly while looking at these stats - and possibly more an indication of having Grealish in the team more than anything - we're 18th in the league for number of passes made (9,378).  Only West Brom and Newcastle have made fewer.  Yet, when you look at 'key passes', we're 6th with 262 - only Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd and Leeds are above us.  Effective use of the ball, for sure.

(I love Emi)

This is an important point and one of the things that Douglas Luiz brings so well to the table - good defensive positioning and pressure forces errors and gets us the ball back

12 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Burnley have similar tactic in how they defend, crowd out middle of the box and make teams shoot from wider of the penalty box which reduces angle to score from.

Not sure how many he had to save on Saturday but the one from Roberts was top class just after we scored and he made some amazing ones late on at Southampton.

11 hours ago, bobzy said:

(I love Emi)

I don't quite get the bit....."we don't press to win the ball back, we soak up play and counter......how do we get the ball to counter?.....whats your take on how we get the ball?

Just now, TRO said:

I don't quite get the bit....."we don't press to win the ball back, we soak up play and counter......how do we get the ball to counter?.....whats your take on how we get the ball?

Generally by intercepting/blocking the ball and getting the second ball.  Happens a lot around our area.

11 hours ago, lexicon said:

This is an important point and one of the things that Douglas Luiz brings so well to the table - good defensive positioning and pressure forces errors and gets us the ball back

I don't see that of late....fascinating how we see things differently.

I thought Nakamba showed a different level of winning the ball back against Leeds.

Dougie is a better passer of the ball, but too passive in the CDM role for me....lacks the aggression of Nakamba, when he is on form.

but we better get back on topic.....Emi is to us, what Shilton was to Nottingham Forest, under Clough.

Edited by TRO

20 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Generally by intercepting/blocking the ball and getting the second ball.  Happens a lot around our area.

What i see in the main, is the defenders winning the ball and passing to Dougie, to take the ball out.....i thought prior to the leeds game, we have struggled with second balls...Dean too has endorsed this in his after match interviews...winning second balls has generally been an issue for us.

but back on topic.....Emi has been amazing for us and transformed us, to a slightly higher level.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Didnt look fit tonight, missed probably his 1st cross of the season and his kicking when needed wasnt crisp

Yeah, he never looked like he was going to make that catch,  but that was a poor decision rather than an injury in my view. Can't say I noticed his kicking being particularly bad, he barely touched the ball. 

The goal he could do nothing about though. Definitely didn't cost us anything tonight. 

Â