Emiliano Martínez

hippo

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

There was an interview where Martinez talks about approaching Arteta to talk to him 'as a friend'/'as a teammate', rather than manager-player, to ask him to either make him first choice or let him leave. I don't think the decision was made without quite a lot of sentiment, and Arsenal doubtless weren't expecting to be competing with us for league position all season, making the decision look worse.

The kicker is that we would have struggled to be competing with Arsenal this season if it wasn’t for Emi.

He has won points for us almost on his own which has put us in such an amazing position

• Like 1

Yeah, and unlike many of our signings who took a little time to find their feet (sometimes an entire season) he was on it from the first minute of the first game. It's not like we improved him, he was already this good when he joined.

• Like 2

There was a moment on Saturday where a Leeds player whose name escapes me had a shot from outside the box that was floating towards the top corner albeit without the pace or conviction on the ball to realistically beat most keepers and Emi plucked it out of the air with complete ease. Hinchcliffe on commentary described it as "for the cameras" despite the fact Martinez caught it, which usually doesn't go hand-in-hand (forgive the pun) with that phrase. Not saying it to get on his back but Hinchcliffe making that error just put in perspective how much Martinez is the antithesis of that label full stop, the top keepers make the difficult look simple and there's few in the world - if any - doing that as well as this guy at the moment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

The kicker is that we would have struggled to be competing with Arsenal this season if it wasn’t for Emi.

He has won points for us almost on his own which has put us in such an amazing position

If I remember correctly he massively contributed to Arsenal winning an FA cup.

Emiliano Martinez is a great keeper and I think we are very fortunate as if we in theory we had any other PL keeper in goal for us we might not be doing so well.

I noticed today that Martinez has just crept into fifth place of the PL keepers to have saved the most shots. It made me think yes that's good but again we should be cutting some of these shots out and helping him.

Again I blame the midfield as many times this season we have been played right through the middle far too easily. We seem to have addressed that against Dirty leeds so there is improvement.

Basically I was shocked how many shots he's faced as the top six keepers who are on the list are current bottom four teams, Dirty Leeds and us. It's not company we really want to keep (no pun intended).

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Emiliano Martinez is a great keeper and I think we are very fortunate as if we in theory we had any other PL keeper in goal for us we might not be doing so well.

I noticed today that Martinez has just crept into fifth place of the PL keepers to have saved the most shots. It made me think yes that's good but again we should be cutting some of these shots out and helping him.

Again I blame the midfield as many times this season we have been played right through the middle far too easily. We seem to have addressed that against Dirty leeds so there is improvement.

Basically I was shocked how many shots he's faced as the top six keepers who are on the list are current bottom four teams, Dirty Leeds and us. It's not company we really want to keep (no pun intended).

I wish we could see this stat with and without Barkley in the team. Especially post covid.

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wish we could see this stat with and without Barkley in the team. Especially post covid.

Ask and you shall receive.

If its just saves per game you're concerned about he's made 4.4 saves per game since the covid break. 3.3 saves per game before the covid break.(not including the first 2 matches where Barkley wasn't at the club yet).

Remarkably similar ratio when you're comparing between games Barkley played and Barkley didn't play. Counting the first Brighton game as a game he did not play in considering he hobbled off after 5 minutes.

4.4 saves per game in games Barkley played. 3.2 saves per game in games Barkley didn't play.(including both pre and post covid and matches where Barkley was not at the club yet).

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Ask and you shall receive.

If its just saves per game you're concerned about he's made 4.4 saves per game since the covid break. 3.3 saves per game before the covid break.

Remarkably similar ratio when you're comparing between games Barkley played and Barkley didn't play. Counting the first Brighton game as a game he did not play in considering he hobbled off after 5 minutes.

4.4 saves per game in games Barkley played. 3.2 saves per game in games Barkley didn't play.(including both pre and post covid).

Thanks for that. 

Where does 3.2 put him in the table when comparing with other keepers if you don’t mind?

I’m sure there’s other issues but this is another example of how much Barkley impacts our midfield in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Thanks for that. 

Where does 3.2 put him in the table when comparing with other keepers if you don’t mind?

I’m sure there’s other issues but this is another example of how much Barkley impacts our midfield in my opinion. 

Excluding keepers who've played less than 1000 minutes, he's about 7th or 8th place out of a total of 21 keepers.

If you took that 4.4 saves per 90 minutes figure however, he'd be number 1 in the table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Excluding keepers who've played less than 1000 minutes, he's about 7th or 8th place out of a total of 21 keepers.

If you took that 4.4 saves per 90 minutes figure however, he'd be number 1 in the table.

A damning indictment on what Barkley brings to the team

More shots on target against.

Yes, it is not his job to defend, but the team is worse with him in it.

3 hours ago, Indigo said:

There was a moment on Saturday where a Leeds player whose name escapes me had a shot from outside the box that was floating towards the top corner albeit without the pace or conviction on the ball to realistically beat most keepers and Emi plucked it out of the air with complete ease. Hinchcliffe on commentary described it as "for the cameras" despite the fact Martinez caught it, which usually doesn't go hand-in-hand (forgive the pun) with that phrase. Not saying it to get on his back but Hinchcliffe making that error just put in perspective how much Martinez is the antithesis of that label full stop, the top keepers make the difficult look simple and there's few in the world - if any - doing that as well as this guy at the moment.

Hinchcliffe is fast moving up my list of numpty football pundits.  He couldn't stop talking about Targett getting a second yellow yet Klich takes out McGinn after he had beaten him and that shouldn't be a yellow according to him.

I stumbled upon this analysis of Martinez.

Game after game, week after week, Emiliano Martínez continues to prove he’s no one-season wonder.

On Feb. 27, the Aston Villa goalkeeper picked up his third clean sheet in his last four Premier League games as his club defeated Leeds United by a 1-0 score. 

Though it was one of the Argentine’s more relaxing performances, he still made three saves and successfully claimed two crosses. This includes a significant claim towards the end of the game that prevented opposing goalkeeper Illan Meslier from potentially heading home the equalizer.

Martínez has now kept 13 clean sheets this season, which puts him second among Premier League goalkeepers and just two behind Manchester City’s Ederson Moraes for the league lead.

Long read, but some really good points on why he is world class.

Great technique and speed. He rarely gives a rebound, and catches shots others would just deflect.

On top of that his calmness and leadership stabilizes the back four, making others improve their game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

a lot of games the shots are from long range though, he made 14 saves in 2 games vs Brighton and Southampton and maybe one or two actually troubled him and nothing that really cut through our defence. Mainly edge of the box stuff

I would say a good portion of the goals we have conceded have been worldies. 3 vs Southampton, March for Brighton, Bamford got 2 I think as well plus the 1st City goal

1 hour ago, Yorke81 said:

I stumbled upon this analysis of Martinez. Long read, but some really good points on why he is world class.

Great technique and speed. He rarely gives a rebound, and catches shots others would just deflect.

On top of that his calmness and leadership stabilizes the back four, making others improve their game.

Wow, that is some in-depth analysis!

• Like 1

I read in an article on our playstyle that we're generally happy to let the opposition have the ball around the edges of the box and keep our shape instead, so it's be interesting to know how many of the shots he's saved are genuinely threatening.

It might be that his save stats are so high because the opposition are taking shots from range that are very unlikely to get past him and we shouldn't necessarily change our style to try and cut them out.

• Like 2

Â