Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

I believe we'll grow together. The belief is hopefully filtering through into the players now. Going into matches against the Sky Scum 6 there's going to be an air of the "big game" vibes. 

Another season or two and we're going to be seen as a major scalp for a lot of teams.

I agree, we are building something very special.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sne said:

Has Fernandes stopped doing his trademark staggered run-up to the penalties or did Martinez get into his head so much that he just melted and felt he had to do something different?

I don't think he rattled Fernandes in the sense that he was bricking himself, but that he hurt his pride and wound him up to the extent that he wanted to just blast the ball past Emi. Went well for us thankfully.

3 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Our keeper seems a tad insane, from the Les Sealey school of lunacy.

It's great.

He's pretty batshit but Sealey was on a complete different level of insanity. Surprised he was let out in the general population in all honesty. 

Love him giving it to Brucey boy at the start of this video. 

3 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

The interesting thing is that you can see that had Bruno not skied his shot, Emi would probably have saved it anyway.

Well Durrrr.  Of course he would. 

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

He wanted Ronaldo to take it, basically saying Bruno wasn’t good enough to take one over Ronaldo 

I strongly suspect Bruno was suitably insulted and that was behind him hammering his penalty kick so hard as an ‘up yours’ to Martinez. Favouring power over placement is ultimately why Bruno missed so Martinez’s chat worked.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

Don't worry about Emi leaving guys, he'll eventually leave one day anyway (hopefully with some silverware) but just enjoy him playing well for us. 

We are in a good position. We don't need to sell and the clubs that could afford Emi don't need a GK. City, Liverpool, PSG and Man Utd are good in that department and there is no way he would go as a number 2. 

The problem, albeit a high class problem, we have is that so many of our players need / deserve new contracts. A new contract for Emi will command a hefty pay rise and there is a long queue of senior and youth players deserving new contracts that will also impact our payroll 

10 hours ago, brommy said:

I strongly suspect Bruno was suitably insulted and that was behind him hammering his penalty kick so hard as an ‘up yours’ to Martinez. Favouring power over placement is ultimately why Bruno missed so Martinez’s chat worked.

That is how I think it went as well. The anger had decended in Bruno's mind and he forgot his usual routine that has served him well, opting to break the net instead.

• Like 1

I know it’s Garth Crooks, but such recognition is great to see 

When Arsenal let this goalkeeper slip through their fingers and go to Aston Villa I thought they had made a terrible mistake. I thought it then and I still think it now. 

Villa on the other hand have benefited tremendously from his outstanding performances. Against Manchester United the Argentine was at his best.

I watched in amazement when United were awarded a penalty to see Martinez challenge Cristiano Ronaldo to a duel, daring him, almost taunting him to take the penalty. Fernandes is United's official penalty taker and missed the spot-kick but the sheer audacity, not to mention the confidence, of Martinez impressed the hell out of me.

• Like 1

Â