Emiliano Martínez

hippo

I can't understand why this wasn't picked up earlier. 

Brazil don't call up English based players because they have to isolate for up to 14 days after their departure from the uk on arrival in country. 

Argentina playing Brazil, in Brazil,  with 4 players that will have arrived from the UK less than 14 days ago. 

How did the club, players, and press not pick up that this was going to happen? I can understand the Argentinian FA thinking they can grease some palms to get away with it,  but it's a very bizarre situation. Proper comedy of errors.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No way players sit there filling out forms at the airport like most people have to.

AFA will have done all their forms.

That's irrelevant, those forms are legal documents, it's 100% their responsibility to make sure they're filled in correctly 

If they're stuck in quarantine because they lied (or allowed someone else to lie on their behalf) on their forms then they deserve just as much flak as anyone else for it. 

Edit just to add, it's not like these are hugely complicated forms, they are the same forms that literally everyone has to fill in. They take 5 minutes maximum, there's absolutely no excuse for not doing them yourself, pampered millionaire footballer or not

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Brazil don't call up English based players because they have to isolate for up to 14 days after their departure from the uk on arrival in country. 

Argentina playing Brazil, in Brazil,  with 4 players that will have arrived from the UK less than 14 days ago. 

How did the club, players, and press not pick up that this was going to happen? I can understand the Argentinian FA thinking they can grease some palms to get away with it,  but it's a very bizarre situation. Proper comedy of errors.

This, surely when this deal was being worked out that they would play 2 games then come home somebody would have noticed that the 2nd one was in Brazil?!

Edited by weedman

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Kind of feels like some are looking for an excuse to have a dig at the club for some reason. Seems unfair to me. 

Can't blame the club. The players put them in an impossible position. Completely unfair for them to do so. 

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Can't blame the club. The players put them in an impossible position. Completely unfair for them to do so. 

Well let's be honest here. The club could opt to sell Villa Park naming rights to The Weinstein Company and some people still wouldn't blame them. A few here will always find a reason to justify a poor decision by the club because they think an uncritical stance towards the current regime/manager equates to supporting Aston Villa.

Edited by est1874
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It’s a complete shambles and I think FIFA have to take a lot of blame for not setting out clearer guidelines about the implications of COVID for overseas players. The other implication is that the Argentinian FA seem to have tried to break the rules. 

It’s shocking it was left to the clubs to try to sort this out. I thought Villa came up with a sensible compromise with the players, although it is now clear it wasn’t informed by any information about the need to quarantine after entering Brazil.

Who knows what this means for the timing of the South American matches now and when we might get our players back and fit to play.

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Well let's be honest here. The club could vote to sell Villa Park naming rights to The Weinstein Company and some people still wouldn't blame them. A few here will always find a reason to justify a poor decision by the club because they think an uncritical stance towards the current regime/manager equates to supporting Aston Villa.

Impossible…. The Weinstein Company doesn’t exist anymore.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Well let's be honest here. The club could vote to sell Villa Park naming rights to The Weinstein Company and some people still wouldn't blame them. A few here will always find a reason to justify a poor decision by the club because they think an uncritical stance towards the current regime/manager equates to supporting Aston Villa.

What does this mean? Villa have control over the AFA??? We are an English football club. This farce is entirely down to the Argentina football setup. Not Emi M,  Emi B or anyone at Villa. Of course they are going to go where they are asked to play for their national team, these are ambitious players, that's why they joined us and that's why we hired them.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He won't say anything inflammatory, never does. He's professional and has a brain.

Sometimes it's annoying when we've been robbed by a ref or something and he's really chilled about it, but it's the right way to be largely.

True if even with injuries or the team out with covid he never hides behind it, it’s a massive credit to him, Bruce , Klopp and co moan endlessly about schedule’s and injuries 

29 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Brazil wanted their players in the prem to make the trip. It was a big outrage in Brazil that they weren’t allowed to go. No doubt there would have been an exemption for the 14 day isolation rule if the Brazil players had travelled, but since they didn’t and the Argentinian players did, they are now getting punished.
It’s not clear how much of this was foreseeable but it sounds like assurances were given by the gov that they would be permitted and the health dept has since overruled them. Apparently that is a thing that can happen in brazillian politics 🤷‍♂️. A mess for sure but sounds like the rug has been pulled a bit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

What does this mean? Villa have control over the AFA??? We are an English football club. This farce is entirely down to the Argentina football setup. Not Emi M,  Emi B or anyone at Villa. Of course they are going to go where they are asked to play for their national team, these are ambitious players, that's why they joined us and that's why we hired them.

It was irresponsible of the AFA to expect them to come, irresponsible of the players to agree, and irresponsible of the club to allow them.

Villa could have stopped it. Bottom line is we had the final say and we even had Premier League support and precedence set by all other clubs in the league (bar Spurs I suppose, but as noted they were releasing two players who haven't started a single league game between them this season).

They're employed and paid by Aston Villa, not by the AFA. I don't want to hear any of this "We couldn't say no" bullshit. It's nonsense. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Apologies if this has been posted already but this Twitter post (all multiple parts of it) is a v interesting read. I can only wonder what the powers that be at AV are making of it all 

So for all the moaning on here about the Argentinian FA (which is fair on the 2 game vs 3 game thing), it seems they acted here as they should have done according to negotiations with the Brazilian FA and government. The issue here is all in the Brazilian system. APART FROM the not minor bit of them lying at the airport about not being in the UK.

What a mess, haha. So very CONMEBOL.

Â