Emiliano Martínez

hippo

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not if Heaton is worse off than we thought, you have to pay to get good quality GK who could be No.1 for almost the next 10 years if it works out.  Somebody who your defence can rely on.

When have we ever had a number 1 for 10 years? Infact very few clubs have.

Very good signing if he comes. Arsenal fans rate him highly and don't want him to go, say he's also very good with his feet. At 28 he's at a good age for a GK and looked outstanding for Arsenal at the back end of last season after Leno got injured.

I am concerned that we're spending a lot of the budget on a GK though. We still need and are in for a winger and CM to go into the first team, but maybe we'll spend more than the rumoured £100m. 

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

When have we ever had a number 1 for 10 years? Infact very few clubs have.

Cech

De Gea

Lloris

Pickford

K. schmeichel

You know they have brought Alisson and Ederson to be 10 year type length keepers.

Successful clubs have solid foundations that are there for years like the goalkeepers.  I imagine there are more clubs with keepers approaching 10 years....like Ter Stegen of Barca or for the potential of 10 years Courtios was brought for that by RealMadrid.

Seems more or less just formalities and a medical left to do (Express)

Emiliano Martinez agrees Aston Villa personal terms as Arsenal set to let £20m star leave

Arsenal goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez has agreed terms with Aston Villa ahead of a prospective move to Villa Park this summer.
Arsenal will begrudgingly allow Emiliano Martinez to join Aston Villa if their Premier League rivals improve their offer for the goalkeeper. The Argentine is claimed to have agreed personal terms with Villa, who this week had a £15million bid rejected for the player.

Martinez has been excellent for the Gunners since stepping into the team for the injured Bernd Leno but his form presents Mikel Arteta with a problem.

Because Leno was so good pre-injury and Martinez has been peerless in his absence, Arteta faces a tough call over who to make his long-term first choice between the sticks.

South American shot-stopper Martinez has just two years left on his deal at the Emirates and has made it clear that to commit his future to the club, he wants to be No 1 over Leno.

• Thanks 1

I’m surprised by this one if he signs. The reaction on here seems positive. Seems like a big price for a 28 year old keeper. He’s been at Arsenal his whole career it seems and I hadn’t heard of him before last season. Is he that good? And what about Heaton? Surely he can’t be that far off a comeback if he was out training on the pitch three weeks ago. Has he had a setback? I thought we’d find a safe pair of hands for a few million or a loan until Heaton is 100%. We’ve spent a lot on keepers in the past 12 months and have let some good ones go in recent years. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think from the limited action that I’ve seen of him, he seems to be a very capable goalkeeper. Sadly, it makes me think that Heaton’s injury is worse than first feared :(

I'm not sure it's that, it's probably more to with the fact he's had two massive injuries in a couple of years and Steer hasn't exactly been fighting fit either. The problem is if Heaton is injured again its a massive drop off in quality that we can't afford.

This is a lot of money for a keeper that's only played a handful of top flight games for Arsenal in 8 years but I highly doubt he's leaving to be a backup for us so I assume it's going to be his to lose if he does join.

Â