Emiliano Martínez

hippo

I was disappointed he didn't save it but it was well stuck and in the corner and he saw it late. Think issue was his positioning as if he's in the middle of the goal he can tip it round the post but was too far to his left when Rice hit it.

No chance for the other three, indeed was a good save from Bowen for the third.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Did the Declan Rice one really not take a deflection!?!

It was dribbled in from thirty yards - he could have strolled over, taken his gloves off, wiped his hands on his shorts, put his gloves back on and still have got there in time to keep it out - I just assumed there had been a deflection that had put him off - if not, it's an absolute horror show from him and he should be made to go stand in the corner until he's sorry.

I think it was a combination of him seeing it relatively late, but it also being a grass-cutter that bobbled up a couple of times in front of him. He'd have coped with either of those individually, I think, but combined it was a tricky one.

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Hasn't been at his best for a while now. 12 goals in 4 games. Hoping he turns it around. 

Glad someone’s said it. Him being amazing for Argentina is great when he’s also being amazing for us but this season he’s been well below par for us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Did the Declan Rice one really not take a deflection!?!

It was dribbled in from thirty yards - he could have strolled over, taken his gloves off, wiped his hands on his shorts, put his gloves back on and still have got there in time to keep it out - I just assumed there had been a deflection that had put him off - if not, it's an absolute horror show from him and he should be made to go stand in the corner until he's sorry.

I thought to took a defection too! His positioning look to be OK but then it changed path slightly and he couldnt quite reach it. Very unfortunate! 

1 minute ago, birdman said:

I thought to took a defection too! His positioning look to be OK but then it changed path slightly and he couldnt quite reach it. Very unfortunate! 

Hopefully it did - I'd hate to think a shot like that could get past him, it was like a fat old corgi waddling through the box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Glad someone’s said it. Him being amazing for Argentina is great when he’s also being amazing for us but this season he’s been well below par for us.

Could be the fact our defence is shit

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Could be the fact our defence is shit

I think he’s also taken his eye off the ball recently, literally and figuratively. International duty + whatever’s happening with his father. Understandable that this would unsettle any player tbh, but a shame we’re not seeing the best of him atm.

• Like 4

He’s the best keeper we’ve had in many a long year and we need to look after him. He obviously has personal worries at the moment and jetting between UK and Argentina is not the best preparation for a football match. I thought in other matches he might have saved goals 1 and 2 from Sunday.

What a shame we don’t have a decent back up who Dean Smith can trust so that he could have a bit of a rest and get sorted out.

• Like 1

On 01/11/2021 at 00:39, OutByEaster? said:

Hopefully it did - I'd hate to think a shot like that could get past him, it was like a fat old corgi waddling through the box.

you could see him say "i didnt/couldnt see it" to some Villa players after it went in.

If you watch it back, there were 3 Villa players in or around Rice creating almost a wall between Rice and Martinez, granted Martinez should have probably saved it, but you can see him say "i didnt/could see it", the more worrying thing for me is we had 3 players in front of Rice and nobody went out to him or got a block/tackle in, i dont want to sound like a stuck record, but its a perfect example of teams walking through us, and us being passive/ineffective at stopping teams playing or just walking through us.

image.png.ede840d06f77762a06e25e567616fa69.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

you could see him say "i didnt/couldnt see it" to some Villa players after it went in.

If you watch it back, there were 3 Villa players in or around Rice creating almost a wall between Rice and Martinez, granted Martinez should have probably saved it, but you can see him say "i didnt/could see it", the more worrying thing for me is we had 3 players in front of Rice and nobody went out to him or got a block/tackle in, i dont want to sound like a stuck record, but its a perfect example of teams walking through us, and us being passive/ineffective at stopping teams playing or just walking through us.

Can definitely see why he couldn't see through the traffic.

But this also highlights a major concern for me thats been happening foe a while...look at that shape.

7 players in front of ball all out of position...Ive said before Target plays Centre Half and here the proof....bit off topic

Trying to see anything through this mess is always going to hard.

On 03/11/2021 at 09:50, MaVilla said:

Isn't that Nakamba standing next to Antonio, and Young running away from Rice?

The players who are really out of position here are Targett and Nakamba. Hard to say how it's happened without watching the buildup again - I'm really confused by Nakamba's positioning especially.

19 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The players who are really out of position here are Targett and Nakamba. Hard to say how it's happened without watching the buildup again - I'm really confused by Nakamba's positioning especially.

I just watched the highlights and yeah you're right, that's Young running away from Rice.

Except he isn't really running away from Rice, he's closing him down here. Young is moving in the direction Rice was moving towards just prior to Rice releases his shot. Picture is misleading.

Edit: Looking at it again, I think the largest fault lies with Nakamba here. For some reason he's positioned way too deep alongside the centrebacks when he should be up there with Young and Mcginn closing their players. Nakamba being out of position here directly leads to Rice being completely open. Young had been busy trying to close down the previous West Ham player who had the ball so he's forced to leave Rice in space.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I just watched the highlights and yeah you're right, that's Young running away from Rice.

Except he isn't really running away from Rice, he's closing him down here. Young is moving in the direction Rice was moving towards just prior to Rice releases his shot. Picture is misleading.

maybe I was wrong but I think they had a set piece before, maybe a throw in

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

yes you are right, i noticed that after i posted.

Even worse then, Young running away from Rice, and Nakamba standing with the CB!

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

58 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Edit: Looking at it again, I think the largest fault lies with Nakamba here. For some reason he's positioned way too deep alongside the centrebacks when he should be up there with Young and Mcginn closing their players. Nakamba being out of position here directly leads to Rice being completely open. Young had been busy trying to close down the previous West Ham player who had the ball so he's forced to leave Rice in space.

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

yes you are right, i noticed that after i posted.

Even worse then, Young running away from Rice, and Nakamba standing with the CB!

If you watch the build up, Pablo Fornals moves in between McGinn and Nakamba, with Nakamba tracking his run into the box as the ball is played out to West Ham's left.  Instead of crossing or passing to Cresswell making an overlapping run, Benrahma cuts inside and across the edge of the penalty area which "allows" Nakamba to move out of the box with Fornals (crossing danger gone) and heading back towards a traditional DCM position.  Young moves to close down Benrahma (who is being tracked by McGinn) which leaves space for Rice, who is found by a pass.  Young is then trying to cover the space Rice has to move into whilst Nakamba is basically on the edge of the box.

It could be argued that Nakamba shouldn't be tracking a midfield runner into the box as the 'other' centre back can deal with it but... I don't know, I think that's harsh.  He's probably slow getting back out if there's to be any criticism.

Edited by bobzy

Truth is, he actually saved us from alot of losses/draws last season, by being absolutely outstanding.

Him being slightly under the level he was last season, is simply exposing the shite elsewhere on the pitch.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Perhaps we should stop trying to shoehorn Tuanzebe into the team. He really is not that great, I was never impressed by him.

That back four we had last season were playing together and were very good.

Al the players, not just the defence, look as if they are not sure about their roles. It is terribly disjointed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Truth is, he actually saved us from alot of losses/draws last season, by being absolutely outstanding.

Him being slightly under the level he was last season, simply exposing the shite elsewhere on the pitch.

I think we misremember this because he's such a good keeper. I'm pretty sure if you looked back you'd struggle to find more than 2/3 game changing saves. I also remember a couple of occasions when I don't think he did well enough and we conceded.

Â