Josh King

JPAngel

15 minutes ago, Enda said:

Look fair enough post but come on. Mo Salah turns 29 next week. Cavani is 34. Since when is 29 too old? I really don’t think I need to tell you the advantages of hypothetically signing 29 year old instead of relying on Louie Barry! Barry will have a great career but the lad can’t even vote. Zero experience in the division or even the Championship. Has even been in a match day squad? Completely unproven. Completely.

I don’t rate Josh King but I think some posters here are getting well ahead of themselves. If the club are looking for a front man but are happy with Ollie being first choice, realistically I think we are looking in the realm of Josh Kings. So, again, outside of Football Manager land, what sort of player do midtable clubs actually sign?

Saido Mane , Hojiberg , VVD, Bertrand Traore, Douglas Luiz , players that can improve and gain value 

13 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Saido Mane , Hojiberg , VVD, Bertrand Traore, Douglas Luiz , players that can improve and gain value 

Are you saying we could sign Saido Mane, who’s on at least £100k a week,  to leave Liverpool so he could be backup at a midtable side?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Enda said:

Are you saying we could sign Saido Mane, who’s on at least £100k a week,  to leave Liverpool so he could be backup at a midtable side?

No Im saying Southampton initially signed him and the other 2 ,  the scouted him and bought him 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

No Im saying Southampton initially signed him and the other 2 ,  the scouted him and bought him 

Okay, that’s fair enough 👍

I agree that’s the alternative. Someone in the 10 million pound range who’s not fully proved himself. Problem with the young and foreign approach is sometimes you get Saido Mane, and sometimes you get Libor Kozak.

6 minutes ago, Enda said:

I agree that’s the alternative. Someone in the 10 million pound range who’s not fully proved himself. Problem with the young and foreign approach is sometimes you get Saido Mane, and sometimes you get Libor Kozak.

Sometimes with the proven English sorts you get Jolen Lescott and Stan Collymore 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Enda said:

Nowadays, we're probably not gonna get a talent with a good level of potential to come to us for that kind of money. I mean, look at the Sarr thread. He's literally played 22 games and just broken out and we're still looking at something like 30 million for him. Not that its impossible, but we probably need to aim higher.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Not all signings can be to improve the team. Some are also done to improve the squad. And on a free I don’t think this is a bad deal. We have three strikers. But behind our main striker we have one just back from a long injury. And one that can’t score and has a long injury record as well.

Remember how the team suffered from losing players in key positions in 19/20 and also our drop in performance with Jack out injuried this season. Strength in depth is vital. 

1 hour ago, Enda said:

I'd say 9 times out of 10 you get Libor Kozak. This is the big risk.

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Were well past this kind of signing, let Newcastle or one of the newly promoted sides take him.

That maybe so, but are we at that stage of keeping 40 mill players on the bench, waiting to get the call.....I'm not sure we are, albeit we'ed like to be.

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Were well past this kind of signing, let Newcastle or one of the newly promoted sides take him.

We heard this last year when people were calling Callum Wilson “trash” and “garbage” and everything else under the sun. Now I didn’t want him personally but I remember the response here was borderline abusive.

Wilson went and scored 12 goals in a poor side. A poor side managed by Steve Bruce. Wasn’t just penalties either, he supplemented the goals with five or six assists as well. Ended up with a better goals per minute statistic than Ollie. (Same with Chris Wood, incidentally, who also got more goals per minute than Ollie.) Fair play to them, they proved themselves as decent players. Not world beaters but very respectable Premier League players.

I’m very happy with Watkins but I’d imagine some posters here won’t be happy unless Mbappe is on our bench.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Enda said:

Look fair enough post but come on. Mo Salah turns 29 next week. Cavani is 34. Since when is 29 too old? I really don’t think I need to tell you the advantages of hypothetically signing 29 year old instead of relying on Louie Barry! Barry will have a great career but the lad can’t even vote. Zero experience in the division or even the Championship. Has even been in a match day squad? Completely unproven. Completely.

I don’t rate Josh King but I think some posters here are getting well ahead of themselves. If the club are looking for a front man but are happy with Ollie being first choice, realistically I think we are looking in the realm of Josh Kings. So, again, outside of Football Manager land, what sort of player do midtable clubs actually sign?

Yeah but Salah and Cavani are starters, top class players.

My point is if you’re signing someone as a *squad* player, and you *know* he isn’t as good as your first choice striker (he clearly isn’t) then why would you go with a 29 year old who isn’t that good, and whose resale value will be tumbling? I just don’t really see the logic.

The youth are coming through now, and while they may not be quite ready, it’s only really next season before players like Barry, Chukwuemeka, etc are going to be pushing for starts. I know we’re all stung by the Moores and the Delfounesos, but this is a much higher calibre of youth prospect coming through at Villa atm.

Anyway the youth point is a bit of a distraction. I’ve no issue with us signing another striker, just not convinced it makes any sense for that signing to be Josh King. I’d rather look at a loan deal or someone who can battle Watkins for first choice.

6 hours ago, skarroki said:

This guy had double figure goal involvements 4 years running in the Prem and was tearing up the championship. He would have walked into our side if we didn't sign Watkins.

I can't understand the negativity around bringing someone like this in to improve our bench and increase competition? He's a versatile lad and still has a few years left in him. 

He's not replacing Watkins and we're not wasting any budget on him. We can't just break our transfer record and sign our new best player every time we make a signing, our squad depth is pretty poor right now and a couple of shrewd signings would benefit the squad. 

Solanke scored twice the number of goals that king did in the period before he was sold. 

Correction josh King didn't score a single goal or get a single assist in the championship. 

Edited by MotoMkali

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah but Salah and Cavani are starters, top class players.

My point is if you’re signing someone as a *squad* player, and you *know* he isn’t as good as your first choice striker (he clearly isn’t) then why would you go with a 29 year old who isn’t that good, and whose resale value will be tumbling? I just don’t really see the logic.

The youth are coming through now, and while they may not be quite ready, it’s only really next season before players like Barry, Chukwuemeka, etc are going to be pushing for starts. I know we’re all stung by the Moores and the Delfounesos, but this is a much higher calibre of youth prospect coming through at Villa atm.

Anyway the youth point is a bit of a distraction. I’ve no issue with us signing another striker, just not convinced it makes any sense for that signing to be Josh King. I’d rather look at a loan deal or someone who can battle Watkins for first choice.

Exactly! Great post. I'm sure there's cheap options with potential in the championship. Josh King is no better than what we have. I'd rather Barry or Brad Jones cover Watkins than Josh King. He's injury prone too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enda said:

Kozak had a good goalscoring record before being crocked. Also it isn't his fault he could get in the team ahead of Benteke who was a monster. 

And for the guy who said 9/10 times you get Kozak, do you? Most of our English league signings were shit but the foreigners were pretty great. Besides we will be aiming for a slightly higher class of player than Kozak anyway. 

Edited by MotoMkali

45 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Kozak had a good goalscoring record before being crocked. Also it isn't his fault he could get in the team ahead of Benteke who was a monster. 

And for the guy who said 9/10 times you get Kozak, do you? Most of our English league signings were shit but the foreigners were pretty great. Besides we will be aiming for a slightly higher class of player than Kozak anyway. 

I remember Kozak.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â