Josh King

JPAngel

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

This would be more disappointing than the time we were all expecting a world class signing for the new kit launch in the Lerner/MON days and ended up signing Marlon Harewood!

I agree but in fairness Marlon was class 2nd half sub in 4-1 win over Newcastle after 1-0 at HT. My first trip to VP. Also that 4-4 away to Spurs from memory that we somehow blew a big lead

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

I agree but in fairness Marlon was class 2nd half sub in 4-1 win over Newcastle after 1-0 at HT. My first trip to VP. Also that 4-4 away to Spurs from memory that we somehow blew a big lead

the office no GIF

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

He did go on to prove useful for us in small doses to be fair. I just remember the massive disappointment of the signing at the time, especially when we were laughing at sha when they were looking like signing Harewood the week earlier. 😂

• Like 1

I have fond memories

Cool

but MON was a disaster in terms of signing players and Lerner was beyond foolish in giving him so much power & responsibility…

The amount wasted, especially on wages (Sidwell, Beye just two examples).

We could have signed some great players if not for MONs short sightedness…

Heavily paid the price later…

Again, sick & tired of this tired old “PL experience” schtick and only signing British players - we could have been better if we were more ambitious. That philosophy heavily held us back imo.

12 minutes ago, NeilS said:

This would be more disappointing than the time we were all expecting a world class signing for the new kit launch in the Lerner/MON days and ended up signing Marlon Harewood!

Yep. I remember the day well as i had been nearly a year quitting cigarettes and the disapointment / stress of it being Harewood made me immediately buy a pack .

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Free transfer.

Signing on fee and wages wouldn’t be cheap…

Would go against our strategy and positive image of being an exciting & ambitious club…

If we want to be a big club, we need to keep acting like one…

Players on the way up, not down or past it please. No overpaid, overrated has beens… we’ve been burned before.

Just now, Jas10 said:

but MON was a disaster in terms of signing players and Lerner was beyond foolish in giving him so much power & responsibility…

MON to me is basically he who should not be mentioned. Robertson was the brains or that they just played Forest funnel and no one had seen it for decades and confused them for a few seasons. 

Just now, Jas10 said:

Signing on fee and wages wouldn’t be cheap…

Would go against our strategy and positive image of being an exciting & ambitious club…

If we want to be a big club, we need to keep acting like one…

Players on the way up, not down or past it please. No overpaid, overrated has beens… we’ve been burned before.

No, no--I totally agree, I think he would be an awful signing.

Was just pointing out that it would be on a free.

MON to me is basically he who should not be mentioned. Robertson was the brains or that they just played Forest funnel and no one had seen it for decades and confused them for a few seasons. 

The very definition of a stubborn, bitter old man… hold no fondness for him even though I enjoyed those times…

I’ll always be fond of John Gregory though…

• Like 2

Someone who would be happy to sit on the bench and get the odd few minutes, I guess. Would want big wages though, to compensate for there being no fee. If it was in the old Evening Mail or Sports Argus, I would have been more inclined to have thought that it might have legs, but its from Birmingham Live.... 

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

No, no--I totally agree, I think he would be an awful signing.

Was just pointing out that it would be on a free.

No worries mate, just pointing out that it would still be (a) costly (mistake imo)…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John said:

Someone who would be happy to sit on the bench and get the odd few minutes, I guess. Would want big wages though, to compensate for there being no fee. If it was in the old Evening Mail or Sports Argus, I would have been more inclined to have thought that it might have legs, but its from Birmingham Live.... 

Yeah, it’s not the kind of signing befitting of a club of our sort, with our strategy and on our kind of trajectory atm is it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

The very definition of a stubborn, bitter old man… hold no fondness for him even though I enjoyed those times…

I’ll always be fond of John Gregory though…

Gregory is my favourite Villa manager (since I've been a Villa fan). Have you listened to 2 and half hour Claret and Blue podcast interviewing John Gregory? It's amazing

• Like 1

Â