Tony Hawk pro skater 1&2 remaster

Dodgyknees

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

I've never played the originals.  What's the point of the game? Just do as many tricks as you can? 

You get 2 minutes per each level/map to complete a set of objectives; these objectives comprise a mix of points-based (achieve various high scores, hit a high-scoring combo move), exploration/platforming (finding items scattered throughout the level, some of which may be hidden or in hard-to-reach areas) or performing certain moves in specific parts of the map.  Completing enough objectives unlocks new maps, which are occasionally then interspersed with "competition" maps (more akin to traditional skate parks) where you'll run 3 shorter-timed heats of the same map and attempt to rack up the highest possible score through tricks and combos to win a medal which will be needed to unlock the next regular map.  Each map also contains a number of attribute points that you physically skate through to collect to improve your stats, which can be spent and re-spent indefinitely (so say you max out your speed but aren't getting enough air to reach a specific tall ledge, you can redistribute those speed points into air), even mid-game which really helps smooths out the replay factor (generally you'll play the same map repeatedly before you manage to clear all the objectives, very rare you'd clear them all in a singular run).

The video @Chindie posted above is great if you want a deep-dive, it's a really, really terrific game.  GOTY territory for me, personally (beholden as I am to my own nostalgia, of course).

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Thanks 1

On 04/09/2020 at 17:46, Stevo985 said:

I'll probably pick these up as well.

I never actually played 1&2 much. I was a latecomer and it was Tony Hawks 3 on the PS2 that I sank hours and hours into.

You are in for a treat, 3 is rubbish in comparison 

• Like 1

Picked this up after trading in TLOU2.  Fairly enjoyable so far but struggling to build up combos to get the pro score challenges done.  The tutorial doesn't seem to give a huge amount of help!  Any tips?

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

Practice, unfortunately. The series is one of those where you have to get your eye in with it. It'll click.

Ok thanks @Chindie.  Watched a few tips videos and there certainly are some things I can do to improve on combos.

Halfpipes (especially any that you can transition into from either a gap or nearby grind rail) are your friend for big scores, start with a lip trick then pull into the pipe when the balance meter starts going (from halfpipes, you won't wipe out when the balance meter tips as long as you're pointing it into the pipe), try and land flush so you can hit a revert each time you land and keep the combo going which is more important than going for big rotations from the off (you might want to avoid rotating at all if you're starting out so you can get a feel of how to land to go into a revert).  From the revert go into a manual to keep the combo on until you hit the other side of the halfpipe, and rinse and repeat until you run out of forward motion; manuals slow you down gradually so after a few jumps you likely won't have enough momentum to reach the lip of the halfpipe and at that point you should just let the combo finish (if you're feeling ballsy and there's a nearby grind rail you can always try and keep the manual going long enough to exit the halfpipe and reach it but if you've already got a decent score on you'll want to consider risk vs. reward if you bail on what you've already accumulated).

There's a really good spot for practicing this on the first competition park on THPS1; from the start there's a grind rail right in front of you with a box beyond it that you can gap into the adjacent halfpipe on the left from, if you can work on chaining all of those together successfully (and squeezing as many little tricks in between as possible) then you'll start to get your eye in on chaining huge combos.

Also re-assign your specials and keep adding more as you unlock them, preferably one of each type (i.e. at least one special grind, one special lip grab, one special flip, one special grab, one special manual).  I always switch the button mapping to keep it as simple and consistent as possible, say up+down+triangle for the grind, lip and manual specials once unlocked and then left+right+square/circle for the flip/grab so you only ever need to remember the fewest possible button combinations.

You might want to skip some objectives so you can clear up all available attribute points from later/unlocked levels, then revisit previously skipped objectives to make them easier.

• Thanks 1

Â