The AVFC FFP thread

So with this news from John Percy that we are now doing ok with regard to FFP,  I was hoping that someone who knows all about it can shed a little light. 

Villa were teetering on the edge of the stringent new rules on February when the deficit stood at £81.3million - with clubs allowed to post losses of £83million.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reports-summer-sales-help-aston-13572625

Thought  I would simplify this post from what it was - 

2014/15 - £26 mill loss

2015/16 - £81 mill loss

2016/2017 - approx £13 mill loss (after being given the summer window to comply)

We are specifically allowed to lose £83 million over the last three seasons total. We have lost £120 mill, even being conservative. 

I haven't the foggiest how Tony has clawed that back to £83 mill, even after player sales. Maybe there is some creative sponsorship afoot after all...

Edited by Jareth

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wolves are in more of a mess than us if they dont go uo this summer.  I think they will be ruined. 

At least xia and wyness are looki g at the clubs future thats the most important thing.

I also read that from now on, as accounts are put in for scrutiny in March, that penalties will be announced before the season ends, and penalties now include points or disqualification from promotion or play offs. In other words there's just no getting around the rules now. Would love to know how they have got down from £120 mill to £83 mill. 

21 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I also read that from now on, as accounts are put in for scrutiny in March, that penalties will be announced before the season ends, and penalties now include points or disqualification from promotion or play offs. In other words there's just no getting around the rules now. Would love to know how they have got down from £120 mill to £83 mill. 

Micah Richards has been fined £1.50 every day for every pound over weight since the summer IIRC.

So we are in profit if anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wolves are in more of a mess than us if they dont go uo this summer.  I think they will be ruined. 

Wolves have assets - they've bought players that are young enough to have a real sell on value. If they don't go up, they'll sell a couple of players for very good money - I think you can take the risk on spending if you can put in place a return.

For me, that's our biggest fault as a squad - there's not a lot of resale value in what we have - we've got a lot of guys on their last contracts and then a lot of youngster who aren't tested.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

At least xia and wyness are looki g at the clubs future thats the most important thing.

I'm pretty sure that on 5Live on deadline day, they said that Wolves are paying their players who they've brought in due to the Mendes connection significantly less than we are to the likes of Richards and McCormack. Plus, as OBE mentioned above they've got quite a few players who they could sell on for a decent profit if they needed to.

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Wolves have assets - they've bought players that are young enough to have a real sell on value. If they don't go up, they'll sell a couple of players for very good money - I think you can take the risk on spending if you can put in place a return.

For me, that's our biggest fault as a squad - there's not a lot of resale value in what we have - we've got a lot of guys on their last contracts and then a lot of youngster who aren't tested.

That's if they are a success here though. If they flop who will pay the big transfer fees for them? It's a gamble no doubt. I agree it's better than us paying stupid money fir 30 year old McCormack. That was stupid.

but if we became desperate we could still get big money on the likes of grealish and big Kodj. Let's hope it doesn't come to that though.

44 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That's if they are a success here though. If they flop who will pay the big transfer fees for them? It's a gamble no doubt. I agree it's better than us paying stupid money fir 30 year old McCormack. That was stupid.

but if we became desperate we could still get big money on the likes of grealish and big Kodj. Let's hope it doesn't come to that though.

Kodija yes. But I think a fee of around 8 million for grealish would be lucky.

If we don't go up we are in huge trouble. And that's without the possibility that xia will lost interest. I wouldn't blame him if he did, he's certainly supported us as much as I would have hoped. 

Just now, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Kodija yes. But I think a fee of around 8 million for grealish would be lucky.

If we don't go up we are in huge trouble. And that's without the possibility that xia will lost interest. I wouldn't blame him if he did, he's certainly supported us as much as I would have hoped. 

Yep indeed. Espically now with the whole chinese government announcement. To be honest i think xia will sell up within the next couple years now after this announcement 

As for the squad also hourihane will be worth a bit now with the goals. I think we have a number of assets we can make money. Id also include chester and if davis continues to exceed like he has wont be long until a premier league club will come in for him.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep indeed. Espically now with the whole chinese government announcement. To be honest i think xia will sell up within the next couple years now after this announcement 

As for the squad also hourihane will be worth a bit now with the goals. I think we have a number of assets we can make money. Id also include chester and if davis continues to exceed like he has wont be long until a premier league club will come in for him.

Sell Hourihane for more than we paid for him? Chester aswell? Maybe make a few million, but certainly not what we would need. And Davis has played a handful of games for us, yes he looks promising but no way is a premier league side coming in for him. Thats madness. I doubt a championship side would. 

Not directly aimed at you but as a collective fanbase we are so quick to jumping on our youth players being the next big thing. A couple of games for O'Hare and people were up in arms at him not being in the squad when a matter of weeks ago most wouldnt have had a clue what position he played. Even Andre Green was class last season and people are already jumping on him and wanting him dropped. We cant rush them, they have to be rotated and used wisely. We certainly cant be relying on fees for them making up our deficit. 

You also have to remember that clubs will know we are desperate to sell and we wont be able to play hard ball. We really are going to be screwed from all ways if we dont go up. 

9 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

It seems to be designed to allow the big and rich clubs get bigger and richer, and for no other club ever be able to compete on equal terms.

It also seem to punish clubs that over spend to make sure they are well and trully screwed and languish in lower leagues for years to come. 

22 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

It seems to be designed to allow the big and rich clubs get bigger and richer, and for no other club ever be able to compete on equal terms.

Exactly it. I also find it funny how Barcelona are only now kicking up a fuss about FFP once they've been stung by losing Neymar. It's funny how FFP is 100% fair when it's benefiting these teams, but it's no longer fair when PSG buy their player for £200 million.

29 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Sell Hourihane for more than we paid for him? Chester aswell? Maybe make a few million, but certainly not what we would need. And Davis has played a handful of games for us, yes he looks promising but no way is a premier league side coming in for him. Thats madness. I doubt a championship side would. 

Not directly aimed at you but as a collective fanbase we are so quick to jumping on our youth players being the next big thing. A couple of games for O'Hare and people were up in arms at him not being in the squad when a matter of weeks ago most wouldnt have had a clue what position he played. Even Andre Green was class last season and people are already jumping on him and wanting him dropped. We cant rush them, they have to be rotated and used wisely. We certainly cant be relying on fees for them making up our deficit. 

You also have to remember that clubs will know we are desperate to sell and we wont be able to play hard ball. We really are going to be screwed from all ways if we dont go up. 

I think that scenerio is a possibility but its possible it can gi the other direction.

Not many midfielders in the championship score hat tricks like hourihane did and even score goals like he does. We paid 1.5m for him i think he is worth significantly more than that now. If bree does well too that could be some profit. With davis yes its early days but like i said above thats if he continues to progress like he has done. 

50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I hate FFP. Can someone remind me what the purpose of it is again? 

Absolutely. It's to protect the status quo of the elite clubs and pull the draw Bridge up behind Man City who upset the big European clubs with their new found wealth.

Domestically it has been applied by the FA and PL in some misguided attempt to supposedly stop dodgy owners ruining clubs ala Pompey.

The reality though is that it once again protects the status quo.

We really should have benefited it, had we not been run quite so appallingly for 10 years on and off the pitch. The problem is, for big clubs who find themselves where we are FFP makes recovery all the more tricky.

FFP is the wrong solution to a problem that needed addressing and one that is in my view deeply damaging to the competitive nature of football.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Why would Hourihane be worth any more now than when we bought him? He was the top goal scoring midfielder and had the most assists in the league when he came to us. 

38 minutes ago, jim said:

Why would Hourihane be worth any more now than when we bought him? He was the top goal scoring midfielder and had the most assists in the league when he came to us. 

Because he has proven he can play at a big club. Also he is consistent. We dont need to sell him so if someone was interested in wanting him they would have to pay mor than what we paid for him to prize him away 

Â