The AVFC FFP thread

Further to my other post, both Chelsea and City wernt relegation candidates when took over either. Chelsea were a top 6 club and City had already spent loads with Sven in charge and were a top 10 club. 

The Saudi job won’t be easy.  Back on topic, I kind of hate FFP but if it did not exist, It probably would just be City v Newcastle in around 5 years time. 

Im happy with how Villa have been handling it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The Saudi job won’t be easy.  Back on topic, I kind of hate FFP but if it did not exist, It probably would just be City v Newcastle in around 5 years time. 

I am not so sure it would only be a couple of clubs. Regardless of how much money they spend or outspend the rest of the league they can still only have 25 players in their squad. Yes, they can have a few others hanging around on the payroll but they can't contribute and would not be elite players. I don't see why Villa or any other club with serious wealth cannot compete with City or Toon if there was no FFP. There a lots of exceptionally good footballers out there, it would be down to good scouting, coaching and management for which teams (of the serious wealthy teams) succeed if FFP was dropped.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am not so sure it would only be a couple of clubs. Regardless of how much money they spend or outspend the rest of the league they can still only have 25 players in their squad. Yes, they can have a few others hanging around on the payroll but they can't contribute and would not be elite players. I don't see why Villa or any other club with serious wealth cannot compete with City or Toon if there was no FFP. There a lots of exceptionally good footballers out there, it would be down to good scouting, coaching and management for which teams (of the serious wealthy teams) succeed if FFP was dropped.

Fair point. I saw a top 10 of wealthiest owners the other day and we wernt even in it. I don’t think it was accurate though as had Wolves as 10th.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair point. I saw a top 10 of wealthiest owners the other day and we wernt even in it. I don’t think it was accurate though as had Wolves as 10th.

Yeah I saw that, I think we have owners worth about 13Bn and should have been up there in 4th or 5th. If NSWE wanted to invest the money they have the funds to outspend any club in the world. The is a threshold as to the how much you could actually spend and that threshold is within NSWE's wealth. It is irrelevant whether they have 13 Billion or 130 Billion or 1,300 Billion. It is still enough money to do whatever the **** they want to do

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

so, how are we looking for FFP?, does anyone have any idea what we can realistically spend in Jan, or next summer even?

I cant imagine Gerrard would have joined, if he wasnt promised a fairly sizeable budget to try and push the team on?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

so, how are we looking for FFP?, does anyone have any idea what we can realistically spend in Jan, or next summer even?

I cant imagine Gerrard would have joined, if he wasnt promised a fairly sizeable budget to try and push the team on?

Completely randomly of the top of my head. we must be around £50m ahead of FFP due it the Grealish sale and buying Ings/Bailey….

so that means we can spend £100 in the summer/January if we wanted to go to the limit (assuming 4 year contracts and taking into account large salaries).

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ender4 said:

Completely randomly of the top of my head. we must be around £50m ahead of FFP due it the Grealish sale and buying Ings/Bailey….

so that means we can spend £100 in the summer/January if we wanted to go to the limit (assuming 4 year contracts and taking into account large salaries).

We will surely finally be able to sell some fringe players in the Summer as well. Should generate more funds and give some headroom on wages. 

53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We will surely finally be able to sell some fringe players in the Summer as well. Should generate more funds and give some headroom on wages. 

its amazing how we always seem to struggle to move on fringe players for any reasonably money (or any money at all).

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

its amazing how we always seem to struggle to move on fringe players for any reasonably money (or any money at all).

I think those days are over now. I can't think of anyone currently on our books we couldn't get some kind of fee for. 

Maybe Trezeguet depending on how he comes back. I've already written off Wesley in this thinking mind. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 13/11/2021 at 22:11, ender4 said:

Yes we could sign Barry Smith from the Dog & Goose for £100. Not sure he will improve us much though. 

• Haha 2

On 13/11/2021 at 22:07, MaVilla said:

We've a large headroom to spend. The issue will be when this season rolls off the FFP calc as it's a high positive in terms of p/l 

• Thanks 1

The thing is if we don't spend it this season, that massive profit we've made this year so far will count for nothing in 3 years time.

For example, If we choose to, say, spend it next season, we have a profit this season  a massive loss next season and whatever in season 3. The following season (year 4) our 3 year calculation counts the massive loss, the "whatever" in the middle season and means we have to make a profit in year 4 to meet ffp expectations.  We can't assume we'll find another £100m homegrown player to sell to balance that calculation. So we either spend it this season, or accept we've reached the point where our owners aren't investing in a big spending spree again.

I imagine our owners had reasonably hoped that is where we'd be this year, but due to a mixture of bad luck and bad form I feel we're not.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

The thing is if we don't spend it this season, that massive profit we've made this year so far will count for nothing in 3 years time.

For example, If we choose to, say, spend it next season, we have a profit this season  a massive loss next season and whatever in season 3. The following season (year 4) our 3 year calculation counts the massive loss, the "whatever" in the middle season and means we have to make a profit in year 4 to meet ffp expectations.  We can't assume we'll find another £100m homegrown player to sell to balance that calculation. So we either spend it this season, or accept we've reached the point where our owners aren't investing in a big spending spree again.

I imagine our owners had reasonably hoped that is where we'd be this year, but due to a mixture of bad luck and bad form I feel we're not.

It gets even more complicated. Salary cap is almost certain to replace the existing FFP rules within next few years. We need to watch our wages closely. We already running over 70% wages to revenue ratio. 

It puts us in difficult situation unless we manage to substantially increase our revenue, which is gonna be difficult without getting to Europe.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

So it really needs to be:

image.jpeg.8a99f5538978d4d80dcdf83727725037.jpeg Should hot the January transfer window topic up, no end!;)

• Like 1

Just now, Czarnikjak said:

It gets even more complicated. Salary cap is almost certain to replace the existing FFP rules within next few years. We need to watch our wages closely. We already running over 70% wages to revenue ratio. 

It puts us in difficult situation unless we manage to substantially increase our revenue, which is gonna be difficult without getting to Europe.

Good point. Odds are things will change so speculating about 4 years time under current nules was probably not helpful.

With that in mind, I would expect some investment in January, and an expectation that we can balance the wage side of things in due course. A new manager, clear gaps in the squad (left wing and CDM...in my opinion), and a surplus in current ffp rules means we should be looking to strengthen 

But long term I think they're expecting the youth setup to fill the gaps in future years. For example, JPB is a capable replacement for AEG and doesn't particularly weaken that backup position and costs virtually nothing. The challenge is doing this across the board. 

We will need to increase our revenue whatever happens really so hopefully our league form improves to the point that becomes easy!

The damage FFP has done to football is already sickening and yet it continues. What a cancer on the game FFP is. 

Derby and Reading the latest victims this week. My heart goes out to the clubs and fans. 

I am glad Purslow and the board are committed to using any dodge or loophole to getting around FFP,. They treat it with the contempt it deserves. Thats what successful clubs have to do. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

On 14/11/2021 at 23:20, Made In Aston said:

Yes we could sign Barry Smith from the Dog & Goose for £100. Not sure he will improve us much though. 

Barry hasn’t been the same since his ACL injury. He’s also 54 this year and there’s been rumours floating around about him and Doreen the new barmaid. You know the one with the big colourful jumpers. Hard not to be impressed but Barry’s mind just isn’t on the game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Barry hasn’t been the same since his ACL injury. He’s also 54 this year and there’s been rumours floating around about him and Doreen the new barmaid. You know the one with the big colourful jumpers. Hard not to be impressed but Barry’s mind just isn’t on the game. 

Can't find anything about this on Google, is this legit?

• Haha 2

Â