The AVFC FFP thread

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

One of our biggest problems is the value of the Kappa deal - no slight on Kappa here, but the deal was made with a Championship club and I think the value of it reflects that.

Would have been strange for our board not to include a clause in case of promotion though. I'm no expert but I'd assume that would have been possible. No?

I have a degree of confidence that these owners will land the best sponsorship deal they possibly can.

I really think the key to our success is knowing when to cash in on our players. Leicester appear to have that knack - we need to get it. Bit of a throwback to the Saunders era - who would appear to sell his better players for high prices - yet still rustle up a decent team on the pitch.

At the moment we look very fragile should Grealish and heaven forbid Martinez leave.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I have a degree of confidence that these owners will land the best sponsorship deal they possibly can.

I really think the key to our success is knowing when to cash in on our players. Leicester appear to have that knack - we need to get it. Bit of a throwback to the Saunders era - who would appear to sell his better players for high prices - yet still rustle up a decent team on the pitch.

At the moment we look very fragile should Grealish and heaven forbid Martinez leave.

Indeed it’s knowing who you can and can’t replace 

5 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

That's what you get for buying players with no sell on value and holding on to the few who could have potentially been sold for a profit until their contract was up or until we got relegated.

I think Benteke is the only one where we got his market value in the last 10 years. Delph went for a pittance because his contract was let run to nothing that he had the club over a barrel during the negotiations. I think that these players we have now will, in general, bring in a profit when they are inevitably moved on.

How much of that loss can be attributed to the money ball relegation season where the idea was to buy rough diamonds polish them and flog for a fortune

The only player we sold after that disaster was gueye, for less than what we paid.... Money ball 😂

37 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

I think Jack is key to bringing in the dollar.

Brands will want him to be their face so we should be going up a notch with sponsorships.

100%

Which is why fans of other clubs would never be able to fathom our valuation of him, he's pretty much our entire marketing strategy and has been since the year we went down, crazy how much the club put on him but he's the face of Aston Villa, Wikipedia scouts pulling out goal stats... Forget it, that's not what it's all about anymore 

• Like 4

The accounts are a reality check that there is a massive gap between us and the seditious six and that we are no closer to them than any of the other 14 clubs in the division. My lingering worry is that our owners will one day come to the conclusion, similar to Lerner, that the PL is just a bottomless money sucking pit. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

The accounts are a reality check that there is a massive gap between us and the seditious six and that we are no closer to them than any of the other 14 clubs in the division. My lingering worry is that our owners will one day come to the conclusion, similar to Lerner, that the PL is just a bottomless money sucking pit. 

And how much we'd like to keep hold of our best players we'll have to sell unless we are fine with losing £70m-£100 million every year

• Like 2

21 hours ago, villarule123 said:

£455m loss over 10 years. Yikes

Yes that stuck out to me.

A real sliding doors moment when the City owners came in and talked about spending 1/2 a billion to a billion on players - and Lerner just shit his pants.

Imagine if we'd spent wisely instead of the Habib Beye, Shorey type of signings followed by the Kozaks and that bloke who I can only remember for the wheelchair gif (although he did have one good game for us I think against Hull right at he end of a season which helped us stay up.)

Those figures are worrying but no suprising.

We have spent big on players and had very little in profit sales.  That will change when we have more success in the pitch.

Unfortunately the players we do aant to sell like engels trez etc they havent really set the world alight so i cant see us making profit on them

On 24/04/2021 at 14:11, Sam-AVFC said:

The level of effort some random Bristol fan is going to in order to scrutinise our accounts years after we left the league is a bit sad. It's a shame he can't channel his efforts into something that's more likely to cheer him up.

The Wurzels?

4 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Lerner had FFP shoved under his nose during his tenure and saw it for what it is

That was my main concern the ESL but hopefully unless something dramatic like that happens they should know what they've bought in to 

14 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

How much of that loss can be attributed to the money ball relegation season where the idea was to buy rough diamonds polish them and flog for a fortune

The only player we sold after that disaster was gueye, for less than what we paid.... Money ball 😂

That was a cherry on top of a massive cake so not too much of it I'd imagine.

On 23/04/2021 at 21:55, OutByEaster? said:

Christian Purslow earns £1,536,255 a year - which as it goes, I reckon in relative terms is reasonable.

Levy and Woodward were both at around £3m last time they were reported on.

30k a week probably less than 3/4 of the first team squad to be fair! But in reality much more accountable?

Just to add though Levy and Woodward are dealing with HUGE turnovers and budgets compared to AVFC they are years ahead in that stakes!

Edited by zab6359
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Yes that stuck out to me.

A real sliding doors moment when the City owners came in and talked about spending 1/2 a billion to a billion on players - and Lerner just shit his pants.

Imagine if we'd spent wisely instead of the Habib Beye, Shorey type of signings followed by the Kozaks and that bloke who I can only remember for the wheelchair gif (although he did have one good game for us I think against Hull right at he end of a season which helped us stay up.)

The signings post MON were cheap at least. Although they did eventually relegate us. 

The issue was the lack of long term planning during the MON years. We did have some good young players but way too many over paid average ones that wernt going to give us many years.  The demise of the club since appointing Mcleish is staggering.

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

McGinn is never worth 30m! The rest are spot on!

Bloomin are not.

I'd be very upset if we sold Emi for £40m or Konsa for £50m. It's £75m to even get me to answer the phone.

Â