The AVFC FFP thread

Incidentally, to give you an idea of how far we have to go, our combined sponsorship and commercial revenues were £23.7m.

Leicester made £29.9m Tottenham's revenues were £151.9m and Man Utd's were £345.1m. 

Those last two clubs must be dripping in cash, I bet they're absolutely delighted with things being exactly as they are right now.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Incidentally, to give you an idea of how far we have to go, our combined sponsorship and commercial revenues were £23.7m.

Leicester made £29.9m Tottenham's revenues were £151.9m and Man Utd's were £345.1m. 

Those last two clubs must be dripping in cash, I bet they're absolutely delighted with things being exactly as they are right now.

Yep that is why Tottingham was picked instead of Leicester for the failed 12. Not on reasons of success, but of dosh and location.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Took 15 years of sustained success (i.e. consistent top 6 finishes) for Spurs to get where they are. We still have a long way to go.

• Like 1

That’s why realistically we have to understand where we are on the pitch.  We have to understand where we are on and off the pitch.  We have a lot of catching up to do but we’ll get there but it won’t be overnight like some are thinking.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That’s why realistically we have to understand where we are on the pitch.  We have to understand where we are on and off the pitch.  We have a lot of catching up to do but we’ll get there but it won’t be overnight like some are thinking.

Yep. The near miss in the early Lerner years of CL football was a massive opportunity miss. We regressed and only now starting to try and catch up after giving rival clubs a 10 year head start.

• Like 3

Just had a look on the Bristol City forum out of interest, because there's a guy on there who seems to be obssessed with our accounts, and lo and behold he's already written a long and detailed post about the figures that have come out today.

'Had a bit of a look at the accounts earlier. Talking Consolidated- NSWE UK.'.. And then it goes on.

Edited by useless
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Just had a look on the Bristol City forum out of interest, because there's a guy on there who seems to be obssessed with our accounts, and lo and behold he's already written a long and detailed post about the figures that have come out today.

'Had a bit of a look at the accounts earlier. Talking Consolidated- NSWE UK.'.. And then it goes on.

Why on earth is there a 17 page thread on our finances on their forum??? That's extremely bizarre

• Like 1

I don't know, but every 'Mr Popodopolous' post in the thread seems to be an whole essay on our accounts, I've no idea if what he's saying is right or wrong as I don't understand accounts, but he seems desperate to put a negative slant on things.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't know, but every 'Mr Popodopolous' post in the thread seems to be an whole essay on our accounts, I've no idea if what he's saying is right or wrong as I don't understand accounts, but he seems desperate to put a negative slant on things.

He's amazing. He's ended up with a seventeen page thread on our accounts that are based almost entirely around how upset he is that we were never punished by the Football League for breaches of FFP in the Championship. That's incredible dedication. Judging by the last couple of pages it sounds like he's a qualified accountant, but judging on his dedication to his task, I wouldn't be surprised if he became a qualified accountant purely in the hope of catching us out.

It's unhealthy, it's insane and it's pointless, but I can't help but have a sneaking admiration for how fantastically driven he is over something that should mean nothing to him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I can't help but have a sneaking admiration for how fantastically driven he is over something that should mean nothing to him.

This for me.

I'm not stupid (at least I don't think I am) but the accounts and his explanation of the accounts are largely flying over my head. I inferred something wildly different from the message they were delivering.

All I can think on the matter is that in the scheme of clubs bending the rules, we are way behind the (scummy) big 6, and only doing what has already gone before us, but to a lesser degree (or the same degree but 8+ years behind the curve). And also that our owners are smart enough to know the bendable rules that the Premier League allow, and are complying with them.

The obsession is, presumably, related to the fact we've signed 2 of their best ever players, for relatively low amounts, and have owners that have big enough pockets to not have to worry about making a loss in the interim.

Can't argue with right or wrong, as I don't know any better, but fingers should definitely be pointed further up the Premier League table.

12 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

This for me.

I'm not stupid (at least I don't think I am) but the accounts and his explanation of the accounts are largely flying over my head. I inferred something wildly different from the message they were delivering.

All I can think on the matter is that in the scheme of clubs bending the rules, we are way behind the (scummy) big 6, and only doing what has already gone before us, but to a lesser degree (or the same degree but 8+ years behind the curve). And also that our owners are smart enough to know the bendable rules that the Premier League allow, and are complying with them.

The obsession is, presumably, related to the fact we've signed 2 of their best ever players, for relatively low amounts, and have owners that have big enough pockets to not have to worry about making a loss in the interim.

Can't argue with right or wrong, as I don't know any better, but fingers should definitely be pointed further up the Premier League table.

The issue with the gentleman is that he believes the financials are black and white, there not. There are normal accounting principles, but the rules within those principles can be treated in different ways. In some circumstances it may ‘not look good’, but not illegal. We have a very good CEO with great financial acumen who knows where the grey areas are. It’s not giving us an advantage over all other clubs, just putting us at the same level as the clubs at the top who have been treating their financials this way for a long time.

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Wow, but as already stated this was before Cazoo and I think we've signed one or 2 other deals already too. So there is a good chance we've already overtaken Leicester which would be some going with where they've been compared to us the last few years. 

I am amazed Spurs are only half of United though, their global reach is much bigger than I thought but doesn't really seem much reason why in my mind. 

We've got some very clever people on board and I'm certain our commercial revenues will increase quickly. 

52 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Bremen fans probably think it's a tad odd that we have a 300 page thread on one of their players mainly full of fish puns with a side helping of pervert discussions to be fair. 

We all think that's odd. But beautiful.

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's amazing. He's ended up with a seventeen page thread on our accounts that are based almost entirely around how upset he is that we were never punished by the Football League for breaches of FFP in the Championship. That's incredible dedication. Judging by the last couple of pages it sounds like he's a qualified accountant, but judging on his dedication to his task, I wouldn't be surprised if he became a qualified accountant purely in the hope of catching us out.

It's unhealthy, it's insane and it's pointless, but I can't help but have a sneaking admiration for how fantastically driven he is over something that should mean nothing to him.

Tbf if I was a fan of any other championship club, I'd be livid with us. We totally flouted the rules for years under Xia and should have been punished. Our saving grace was Purslow, his knowledge of the rules enabled him to expertly circumvent them (helped enormously by getting promoted). The other clubs who did a ground sale have all fallen into hit water for the way it was done.

No idea how we did it (or whether just lucky no longer in EFL) but hopefully it's a bullet dodged

• Like 1

We haven't got into trouble for selling our ground because in doing so we did nothing wrong, plenty of other championship clubs have also sold their ground and not got into trouble for it because they haven't done anything against the rules either.

Even Sheffield Wednesday who had a points deduction relating to their ground sale, weren't punished because of the fact that they sold Hillsborough, they were punished because they recorded the sale in the wrong set of accounts, it was sold in 2019, but they included it in the 2018 accounts to make them look better.

Derby were also investigated, again not because selling your ground is against the rules, but  because there was a suspicion that they'd overvalued it, but that charge was eventually dimissed.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

Tbf if I was a fan of any other championship club, I'd be livid with us. We totally flouted the rules for years under Xia and should have been punished. Our saving grace was Purslow, his knowledge of the rules enabled him to expertly circumvent them (helped enormously by getting promoted). The other clubs who did a ground sale have all fallen into hit water for the way it was done.

No idea how we did it (or whether just lucky no longer in EFL) but hopefully it's a bullet dodged

Fair point actually. I’d be annoyed too. I think the last bit is spot on, we got promoted just in time really.

Â