The AVFC FFP thread

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Has it been confirmed why it was over-turned?

CAS will announce in the next few days, seems City were only guilty of not informing UEFA lawyers on time 

CAS is the weakest most pathetic institution there is. Anyone with enough lawyers, time and financial backing will always get the result they want.

The number of (mostly American) athletes that has taken their case to CAS and had their fully justified doping ban reversed is too many to counts. CAS is a joke.

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Its a joke. They can't shaft us afyer xuty got away with this. 

The whole thing stinks

Anything that continues to show-up FFP for the paper tiger/hidden drawbridge that is has always been can't be altogether bad.  As much as I would lament the respective trajectories of Villa and City pre-nouveau riche-era, viewed dispassionately the ongoing presence of legitimate competition to those few previously established/entrenched clubs at the very top end of football does have its merits; keeping the likes of Man Utd permanently mired in bang-average mediocrity being chief amongst them, for me.

Unbelievable, but predictable at the same time. One rule for them and another one for everyone else. Get rid of FFP now!

It was always been about protecting the big clubs, the clubs with money. They didn't want any new boys gate crashing their party. 

In England, Liverpool, the Manchester United, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal,  can do as they want. It's about clubs like us trying to join them. Manchester City did it, but they used FFP to close the door to anyone else.

They will hit clubs like Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Small Heath and us, claiming they are doing it to stop them going bust. Yet, clubs like Bolton, Macclesfield and Wigan, are on the brink of going bust and Bury did. Where was FFP then?   

• 1 month later...

General thread for Aston Villa finances & FFP related info for the 2020/21 season.

Does anyone have any detail / insight or information of our current finances?, as well as how FFP might specifically impact us for this season in terms of stability and transfers etc?

Any other financial or FFP info related to Villa also welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think, from an initial look:

- From the PL rules, it looks like we aren't allowed to lose more than £105m over a rolling three-year period.

- For this coming season, that will therefore cover the last year in the Championship, and 2 x years in the PL.

- In that last year in the Championship, we had a loss of -£69m...but I'm pretty sure from that you can exclude the £30m we paid off the Doc with, and £9m of youth development expenditure. So maybe a £30m loss for the test.

- That leaves £75m of losses allowed for the two years in the PL...and here it's just really hard (impossible) to know.  Clearly revenue's gone up massively (although this is maybe partly repayable I think, due to Covid disruption)....unconfirmed rumours of a reduced wage bill....and a lot of transfer fees paid without (so far) many meaningful ones in.

I suspect we're okay as the club seem to know what they're doing on this, but there's not really enough public information to conclude.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mrjc said:

I think, from an initial look:

- From the PL rules, it looks like we aren't allowed to lose more than £105m over a rolling three-year period.

With the CV adjustment, last season and the coming season are grouped together to a single reporting period. I'm not sure exactly how that will work, but the timeframes are adjusted so that it'll be looked at over a four year period to allow teams to counter CV losses.

Does the Championship figure include the stadium sale?

I suspect our incomes for last season were around the £160m mark as opposed to about £60m in the Championship - plus the owners are allowed a level of investment above and beyond the money the club generates - I think so long as we don't get relegated we're fine and dandy.

It's very difficult to figure out though - the rules are complicated to start with and we pay a whole lot of accountants to make them even more cloudy.

12 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Manchester City and PSG. They beat FFP and now they can focus on football. Hopefully the rest of the top clubs including us can do the same.

Man City didn't beat FFP.    They muddied the waters on 1 particular point and had their penalty reduced on final appeal over a technicality after a 2 year fight.

They've followed all other FFP rules prior and since to make sure they don't end up in the same place again. 

(Of course, they are probably doing other shady accounting in extreme secrecy to make sure they don't fall foul of FFP again).

I don't know anything about PSG to comment on them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

With the CV adjustment, last season and the coming season are grouped together to a single reporting period. I'm not sure exactly how that will work, but the timeframes are adjusted so that it'll be looked at over a four year period to allow teams to counter CV losses.

Does the Championship figure include the stadium sale?

I suspect our incomes for last season were around the £160m mark as opposed to about £60m in the Championship - plus the owners are allowed a level of investment above and beyond the money the club generates - I think so long as we don't get relegated we're fine and dandy.

It's very difficult to figure out though - the rules are complicated to start with and we pay a whole lot of accountants to make them even more cloudy.

Yes, the Championship figure includes the stadium sale.  Basically our exceptionals virtually netted out that year for accounting purposes (+£36m stadium, +£14m from land (BMH?), -£30m Xia payment, -£16m promotion bonuses), but I am presuming that all were included in the FFP calc apart from the Xia payment.  Don't know for sure though.

Totally agree on the cloudiness (although it's definitely helped us!).   

PL income - sounds about right, although I'm not sure on our share of the repayments to Sky et al for disruption, which I think are spread over 2 / 3 years.

• Like 1

Â