Sergio Romero

ender4

31 minutes ago, Rodders said:

and when Heaton is back to match fitness? two 30+ keepers both deserving first team football. It's one thing to be a number 2 at United, he won't want no.2 here. Odd link for me

If Romero does well Heaton doesn't get back into the team.

No room for sentimentality in football.

If he flops we always have Heaton coming back.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

If Romero does well Heaton doesn't get back into the team.

No room for sentimentality in football.

If he flops we always have Heaton coming back.

And a 100k per week player sitting on the bench yet at the moment we aren’t spending that level elsewhere in the team with Cash and links to the likes of Watkins.  Doesn’t add up!

Just now, blunther said:

I really really rate Romero. This would be a huge upgrade on any of our fifteen keepers, even Heaton. 

Disagree big time.

Heaton is absolutely outstanding aside from with the ball at his feet.

Give me a keeper than catches and holds every tricky ball into the box over anyone one that makes flashy saves.

I like Romero but if Heaton gets fit we can't be paying £60k+ to a guy who isn't going to play.

A loan makes so much more sense for this role this summer IMO.

• Like 1

The current regime seem to be a lot more sensible about the business. Famous last words, but I trust them to get a good deal and wages we can afford. Wouldnt surprise me if he came over as a loan to buy at trhe end of his contract with a recall clause and ManU picking up some of his wages. They keep access to an emergency keeper and save up some wages this year.  We get someone to help manage our keeper issues.

Also Romero is very good. I was surprised at the link. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

25 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

United probably put him on 100k a week. Add Heaton wages and I can’t see how the situation can be sustainable unless it’s a loan to see how Heaton does when he comes back. I’m all for paying big wages but it has to be the right player. 

Nobody really knows what he's on, I've googled it and seen various figures between £50k-£100k.  I think it's inevitable that the wage bill will have to go up from what it was last season.  I'm not sure what we were paying Reina.

Edited by sharkyvilla

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Nobody really knows what he's on, I've googled it and seen various figures between £50k-£100k.  I think it's inevitable that the wage bill will have to go up from what it was last season.  I'm not sure what we were paying Reina.

I have no issues with the wage bill going up. I don’t think he is the answer though personally.. United are known to give crazy contracts so him being on near enough £100k sounds plausible to me. 

• Like 1

Looks like this may be true. Shocking signing tbh if the £8mill fee is true. Has 9 months left on his contract and has been a bit part player the last 5 years or so. Same age as Heaton (33) and for me no where near as good. The players it's looking like we're signing are very, very worrying. Considering we have been linked with Martinez, Edouard, Rashica, Aarons and we'll end up with Watkins, Cash, Romero. These may be bullshit rumours and we may sign better, but for me this is no better, if not worse, than the signings made by Suso last year.

1 minute ago, SeanVilla said:

Looks like this may be true. Shocking signing tbh if the £8mill fee is true. Has 9 months left on his contract and has been a bit part player the last 5 years or so. Same age as Heaton (33) and for me no where near as good. The players it's looking like we're signing are very, very worrying. Considering we have been linked with Martinez, Edouard, Rashica, Aarons and we'll end up with Watkins, Cash, Romero. These may be bullshit rumours and we may sign better, but for me this is no better, if not worse, than the signings made by Suso last year.

But we absolutely need an experienced keeper for the first third of the season at the very least - subject to a full recovery from Heaton - we cannot afford the gaffs of our other stand ins. £8 mill to achieve this? I can't see the issue myself. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wezbid said:

It's funny people stating we shouldn't be spending x amount on a keeper. The keeper is one of the most vital parts of the team, get that right and he can win you points by himself. It's the one place I think a team should be spending top dollar, along with a top notch striker. 

Good point. Unlike the Championship where howlers are common for all keepers so it evens out, in the PL you just lose points.