Callum Wilson

Delphinho123

Just now, Keyblade said:

Well we did see the drawbacks to a lack of Prem experience last season. It'll be good to have players that can hit the ground running.

Our current players have a season's more experience. Callum Wilson is hardly the most experienced of strikers. I believe there's better for cheaper in Europe.

Big wages too. A signing that imo isn't one that inspires confidence.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

£20m+ on a 28yr old who's done both ACLs and scored double figures once in his top flight career, and is almost certainly on big money wages... Yeah, no.

At less money alongside a better striker, ok, fine. But as things stand that's £20m gambled on a player that isn't going to bring a return financially and is by no means a safe bet to knock a lot in. 

If we spend the figures spoken about on Wilson, someone at Villa Park clearly has a drinking problem.

Yep 100% this.

It just doesn't fit the model we are going for here. 

Apparently Spurs want him as well, so hopefully he ends up there.

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Wilson had a worse record than Wesley last season, why do people want him so much when Wesley got so much stick?

Because football is about more than who scored how many goals.

Wesley is nowhere near as good as Wilson.

• Like 1

I think if we had Wilson last season, he would have finished with more goals than he had with Bournemouth. 

I'm not blown away with him but he's a better finisher than people are giving him credit for imo. 

Just now, Spray said:

Have we officially bid for him ❌

Have we had an offer accepted ❌

Have we signed him ❌

Better start a new thread for no reason again...

Thank goodness you're here, fun police

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Because football is about more than who scored how many goals.

Wesley is nowhere near as good as Wilson.

I disagree, I watched nearly every game in lockdown. Wilson's touch was woeful movement non existent and passing was poor. Stanislas was much more lively. Imo of course.

Wesley was getting better and starting to settle down. His passing against Burnley was sumptuous. Grealish finally had a new play mate until Mee assaulted him.

• Like 1

This whole only scored double figures once in his top flight career doesn't tell the whole story and people are just being dumb, or negative for the sake of it if they can't see past it.

in his first season he scored five goals in thirteen games, in his second season he scored eight in twenty-eight games in terms of minutes on the pitch it was closer to twenty games, and his third season he scored fourteen in thirty games, he wasn't as good last season but if he was we wouldn't have a chance of signing him.

Before joining Wolves Jiminez had never scored more than double figures in a season, Ings hadn't score double figures in a season before last season, but like Wilson they had a very good goals to minutes ratio.

It's probably also worth pointing out that £20m isn't even a lot of money these days, if Wilson was our player I'd be wanting more than that for him.

• Like 3

I can also see Wilson covering right wing at times if it's a problem area, so he sounds like an alternative to Watkins. 

But to be perfectly honest I agree with Chindie and I suspect the club does too. This might just be a move to inform Brentford we're done fecking about this deal. 

2 minutes ago, useless said:

This whole only scored double figures once in his top flight career doesn't tell the whole story and people are just being dumb, or negative for the sake of it if they can't see past it.

in his first season he scored five goals in thirteen games, in his second season he scored eight in twenty-eight games in terms of minutes on the pitch it was closer to twenty games, and his third season he scored fourteen in thirty games, he wasn't as good last season but if he was we wouldn't have a chance of signing him.

Before joining Wolves Jiminez had never scored more than double figures in a season, Ings hadn't score double figures in a season before last season, but like Wilson they had a very good goals to minutes ratio.

It's probably also worth pointing out that £20m isn't even a lot of money these days, if Wilson was our player I'd be wanting more than that for him.

For me it's more to do with the style of play. I don't think he's good in a high press style. He's more of a back to goal type. Has he got the pace he had when he was younger.? I'm not confident that he will do the business for us.

However if he signs he will get my support during the 90 minutes of games. And I will gladly enjoy it if he proves me wrong and gets 12-14 goals in the league.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

For 50% more?

I wasn’t particularly thinking about rumoured transfer fees, I hadn’t read the latest on Watkins. For the same price of say £22m I’d prefer Watkins for his work rate, age, energy, durability and recent goal scoring confidence. I can’t really comment on the fees as I’m not privy to what they actually are. 

We apparently want both Watkins and Wilson, if it was a choice between the two I'd prefer Watkins. Doesn't really make much sense for it to be one or the other as they're quite different players, Watkins can do a lot of the stuff Wilson can do but he has additonal qualities like holding the ball up and bringing others into play, albeit not proven at an higher leve than the championship.