U23 Development League 2020/2021

BOF

Farr replaced by Burton after twenty-nine minutes, and now Burton has got himself sent off, not great for either of them, especially as today could be their last appearances for the club. At least Barry has put us 2-0 up, I think he might be the top scorer in the division now.

• Like 2

Front page stats updated and the season finishes with an air of respectability as a stronger starting 11 puts pay to Newcastle. A little disappointed that we only fell short by 4pts in the end.  It will definitely be interesting to see what the summer and next season has in store for the undoubtedly extremely talented first 11 of the U23s. You would think with the hiring of Jedinak and the failure to get promoted, that a lot of them will go out to fairly decent level sides to continue their development.

• Like 1

Stoke are in a funny position going into the Sunderland game.

They can win the game and face Middlesbrough in the playoffs as things currently stand.
But if they'd rather face Sunderland in the playoffs they can draw the game.
Or if they'd rather face Wolves then they can lose the game.

41 minutes ago, Awol said:

Read we’re releasing 11 players from the under 23s this summer? 

Caveat: source tribal football.

Brum Mail reported 'as many as' 9 but I could easily see it being 11.

Here's the 9.

EXPIRING NEXT MONTH
Brad Burton(19) -> Burnley
Harrison Sohna(18) -> Sunderland
Jack Clarke(22)
Ben Guy(20)
Callum Rowe(21)

EXPECTED TO GO
Lewis Brunt(20)
Michael Tait(20)
Charlie Farr(18)
Jake Walker(20)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

Brum Mail reported 'as many as' 9 but I could easily see it being 11.

Here's the 9.

EXPIRING NEXT MONTH
Brad Burton(19) -> Burnley
Harrison Sohna(18) -> Sunderland
Jack Clarke(22)
Ben Guy(20)
Callum Rowe(21)

EXPECTED TO GO
Lewis Brunt(20)
Michael Tait(20)
Charlie Farr(18)
Jake Walker(20)

Wow. So if we’re essentially gutting the level between u18 and the senior squad, will they even be able to put a team together next season? Surely not 11 players ready to step up from u18 to u23 this summer (total guess, maybe there are)?! 

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

Wow. So if we’re essentially gutting the level between u18 and the senior squad, will they even be able to put a team together next season? Surely not 11 players ready to step up from u18 to u23 this summer (total guess, maybe there are)?! 

The players listed are already fringe though. They've effectively already been sidelined or loaned out.

Burton played for Burnley, Sohna played for Sunderland, Clarke is out at Chesterfield, Guy is at Portadown, Rowe is at Hereford, Brunt started 3 games this season, Tait started 6, Farr started 10 and Walker started the most with 11 but we have Kesler-Hayden in that position and we're stacked in midfield and up front regarding Farr & Tait. As cruel as it always is, they're just getting rid of the players they see no future at Villa for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/05/2021 at 15:09, BOF said:

Monday
13:00 Wolves(3) 2-2 Reading(8)
13:00 Sunderland(5) 1-1 Stoke City(2)
14:00 West Brom(13) 3-2 Norwich City(11)

Sunderland sneaked into the final playoff spot with a draw against Stoke. West Brom's win against Norwich was enough to move them above Newcastle meaning the barcodes finish bottom.

Barry finished as joint top scorer in our division alongside Josh Hawkes of Sunderland. Hawkes did play three more games than Barry though, and as tweny-two year old is a lot more experienced.

• Like 2

After promotion via the playoffs back in 18/19, Southampton will be coming back down to PL2 divison 2 after finishing comfortably bottom of PL2-1, and assuming there are no similar playoff shenanigans up there for the final relegation place , rather surprisingly, Leicester City will be dropping with them after finishing 11th by 2pts from last season's promoted champions West Ham.

apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I'v just watched BBC's Road to Wembley FACup programme.

For the third round they mentioned Covid, a Villa team of youngsters ,then showed three goals with the commentary saying

"liverpool score after 3 minutes 40 seconds....three goals in 4 minutes for a Liverpool team let off the leash'

I could have sworn that something else happened in the game...

• Thanks 2

Can I ask here (as I can think you'll be best places to answer) but which of these kids are ready to step up next season? A lot of talk about Chuk, Barry, Kesler but what are the thoughts on Raikhy or Brad Young? 

On 12/05/2021 at 16:18, BOF said:

Monday 17/05
19:00 Stoke City(2) 0-2 Sunderland(5)
19:00 Crystal Palace(3) 3-2 Wolves(4)

Crystal Palace v Sunderland final.