U23 Development League 2020/2021

BOF

My guess would be that we planned for this game thinking it was going to be played on Sunday, which would have been just two days before the FA Youth Cup game, and hence why none of the normal U23 players are involved and why they played on Tuesday for the U18s instead.

According to the official site the trialists are wearing numbers four and eight, so presumably a centre-back and midfielder.

9 minutes ago, useless said:

According to Soccerway the two trialists are Tom Sharpe and Zak Brown. Seems that both are from the Albion academy.

We are shameless. :)

We've had that Albion academy bent over a table for about eighteen months now! 

Bullies.

Aaanyway.

On to the talking points.

Turns out the O/S now has dates of birth for the players, so that's a good thing.

Republic of Ireland duo Tommi & Aaron O'Reilly make their matchday debuts. 17 year old midfielder Tommi starting and 16 year old defender Aaron on the bench.  Northern Ireland's 17 year old mid Caolan McBride is on the bench alongside him. England duo Kahrel Reddin (17, midfielder) and Tristan Abldeen-Goodridge (18 striker), join Tommi in the starting 11.  There are also places for 2 West Brom trialists in 20 year old England centre back Tom Sharpe and 20 year old England midfielder Zak Brown. 17 year old England midfielders Dewain Sewell and Taylor-Jay Hart complete the debutant line-up on the bench.

Just now, lexicon said:

20 year-old trialists? That's an odd one for us, isn't it? 

No Wesley,  I note. 

Is Kesler out or is he in contention for tomorrow?

I'd say with Cash out, Kesler will be on the bench.

Both the trialists are already in their twenties, so I suspect they're playing because it suits us for this game, and allows them to put themselves in the shop window, rather than them being players that will join us permanently. U18 line up should be interesting to tomorrow, given that most of them are playing today and the U23s won't be playing for them this time, might be a few U16s making their debut.

• Like 1

It's a real pity this one isn't being broadcast. It would have been very interesting to get a preview of the next lot of U23s. I've heard Abldeen-Goodridge's name come up a few times so it'd be nice to get a look at him.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

It's a real pity this one isn't being broadcast. It would have been very interesting to get a preview of the next lot of U23s. I've heard Abldeen-Goodridge's name come up a few times so it'd be nice to get a look at him.

It would perhaps have been a little unfair on them though to get their first public outing in a scratch team.

The kid who scored Boro's first 2 goals (Calum Kavanagh) was also making his debut for their U23s today, up from their U18 side. He has 18 goals (now 20) in all competitions this season, and he's Irish (fingers crossed one for our future at least :P

Just noticed the guy who scored their 3rd is called Jospeh Gibson. Not Joseph, but Jospeh. And that spelling is all over t'net. I note the OS went with 'Joe' presumably because they were incredulous. Now either it's a typo that has been replicated far and wide by plagiarism or it's the most annoying alternative spelling since his namesake Darron Gibson.

• Like 1