U23 Development League 2020/2021

BOF

Hard to believe we've not got anything out of that in fairness. We were the better side by a distance, we just have a massive achilles heel in our defending of set pieces.

If we'd taken our chances we'd have scored another three or four.

Some good individual performances, particularly Kesler who was my man of the match, Chrisene who was brilliant at left back and from Raikhi for the first half hour and Ramsey in the second half. 

Unlucky I think, although I don't think it was luck that was responsible for the Stoke goals.

Great coverage again and you can't say you don't get entertainment!

• Like 1

Looked much better with Appiah in defence, doesn't dally about with it and at the same time doesn't just hoof it and give it away, and looks good defensively, always surprises a me little  that he doesn't start when we've got other central defenders out, he's captain of the U18s so must be well regarded at that level. Bogarde in his turn looks much better in midfield, looks our best player at this level in that position after Chukwuemeka and Ramsey.

Also thought that Kesler looked as good as anyone has looked for us this season on our right-wing.

• Like 2

Stoke stats updated. As some have mentioned, a new name on the bench in 17 year old Englisy right winger Chisom Afoka. A return for Sylla after 3 games absent, a first league appearance for Paul Appiah and a place on the bench for Sil Swinkels who hasn't been seen since coming on against West Brom in the middle of January. Hayden Lindley's first league start and appearance of the season too after only being on the bench once before against Sunderland 2 games ago. So yeah, quite a lot of change on the fringes of the team this time out and so close to getting something from it, apart from the whole 'conceding 3 goals in the last 3 minutes of the first half' thing. A nice break now before yet another home encounter on the 2nd, this time against Wolves.

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

....who've drawn 1-1 with Middlesbrough this afternoon.

Leeds have done their usual too.  Koch, Berardi & Poveda start (and 2 of them finish...) in a 5-0 win away to the Baggies.

Boro 1-1 Wolves
Palace 1-2 Sunderland
Baggies 0-5 Leeds

• Like 1

Fulham 2-2 Newcastle. They stay 10th and 12th respectively.

Next up on Monday is

13:00 Sunderland(11) v Burnley(3)
14:00 Baggies(13) v C Palace(6)

On 26/03/2021 at 15:00, BOF said:

Fulham 2-2 Newcastle. They stay 10th and 12th respectively.

Next up on Monday is

13:00 Sunderland(11) 3-0 Burnley(3)
14:00 Baggies(13) 1-2 C Palace(6)

A shock 3-0 win for Sunderland over 3rd placed Burnley moves them level with Villa and into 9th place, 2 goals behind us. Palace win at the Baggies as expected which puts them 4th.

With most of the sides outside the playoff spots still having 6 games left this season, every team bar maybe West Brom have a very realistic chance of making the playoffs if they can put a run together. I don't think I can ever remember such a close reserve season.

Next up are 2 games on Friday. One of which involves us. Yay!

13:00 Reading(6) v Sunderland(9)
19:00 Aston Villa(8) v Wolves(5)

Is it worth 'doing a Leeds' for the remainder of the season, and playing eg Hause, Wesley, Taylor, Trez or whoever? I guess you sacrifice 6 games of development for (some) youngsters this season, for the possibility of developing against much better youngsters next season?

I can't see them doing it. Whether it's worth it is arguable. It depends on the value they place on reserve development versus sending players out on loan. I think they prefer the loan route given that the players closest to making the jump (or being pushed) have gone out on loan.  Next season will be very interesting for players like Barry I think. I'm not sure it'll do him much good spending another season in reserve football whether it's the 1st or 2nd division of PL2.

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

I can't see them doing it. Whether it's worth it is arguable. It depends on the value they place on reserve development versus sending players out on loan. I think they prefer the loan route given that the players closest to making the jump (or being pushed) have gone out on loan.  Next season will be very interesting for players like Barry I think. I'm not sure it'll do him much good spending another season in reserve football whether it's the 1st or 2nd division of PL2.

Yeah, I don't think they'll do it either, they would probably have done it once or twice before now if they were tempted. And I think that's completely defensible, but I can also see an argument for going all out to get up. I think the gulf in quality is pretty big, though I'm no expert.

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just a heads up on tomorrow's game against Wolves - it's a 15:00 kick off, not the usual 19:00.

Quick question,

I am out this afternoon whilst the game is live on Villa TV Am I right in thinking that they play IT on a loop for a few days or do they Replay at set times for a couple of days so I can catch it later👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Quick question,

I am out this afternoon whilst the game is live on Villa TV Am I right in thinking that they play IT on a loop for a few days or do they Replay at set times for a couple of days so I can catch it later👍

I have a feeling that it stays there for a few days (until the subscription expires) so you can replay it. I haven't tried that though!

• Thanks 1