U23 Development League 2020/2021

BOF

Will be interesting to see who replaces him on the right wing for the U23s, Charlie Farr has been on the bench for most games, but Ted Rowe has come from not even making every U18 squad to suddenly becoming first choice and then after a couple of starts making the U23 squad and a couple of appearances, so seems he's someone they must rate a lot to progress that quick.

• Like 1

A silver lining of the timing of our Covid outbreak meant that many of these young men performed live on TV to a huge audience of potential (loan) suitors. That and we're in the middle of a transfer window in the unfortunate event that any member of the first team suffers long-term effects.

Looks the Albion game will go ahead as planned, and more U23 players will be heading out on loan...

'Without taking our eye off the ball for our games, we’re trying to make sure the players’ career plans are thought about first and foremost. Our main focus is on loans and integrating the Under-18s into our squad and giving them a challenge for the rest of the season.'

Delaney: Young Lions must kick on

• Like 2

😬

Aston Villa face battle to keep England Under-17 international midfielder Aaron Ramsey with Celtic and Ajax ready to pounce when his contract expires at the end of the season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9148569/Aston-Villa-face-battle-England-17-international-midfielder-Aaron-Ramsey.html

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Been a few weeks now since the club told us they were improving the coverage for the U23's - having given the team alll that great exposure against Liverpool, it'll be interesting to see if we get more than three tweets tomorrow.

Any updates if the Olbion game is being shown live later? 

7 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Any updates if the Olbion game is being shown live later? 

Neither Youtube channel has a placeholder for it so I wouldn't be optimistic.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Revan has gone on loan, maybe Swinkels getting a start at the back?

I didn't make it clear, but my post was in response to the loan move.

I was impressed by Swinkels against plop. And of course being Dutch he's about 7'3 (not really, but he is quite bigly)

• Like 1

• Put together exciting youth team with big recruitment drive - check
  • Introduce that team to the public in a live TV cup tie - check
  • First team unable to play because of pandemic - check
  • Fans unable to attend because of pandemic - check
  • No other football in the country to speak of as competition - check
  • Potential superstar creating demand and getting attention - check
  • Local derby - check
  • Fans desperate to see some sort of Villa team play - check

• Coverage to match other teams in the division - erm......

I don't think it would have been possible to create a better set of circumstances in which to launch live coverage of the U23 team (brining us into line with most of the rest of the division). I genuinely think that tonight, with a little push a live broadcast on youtube could have generated 20,000 odd viewers.

In amongst the overwhelming amount of things the club is getting right, this one is almost mystifyingly rubbish.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sigh. We can't even be arsed to announce the line up. I'm sure they'll remember at some point before kick off.

tbh, considering all the investment, upgrading, talent and effort put in to u23s/youth, its bordering on incompetent how poor they are at reporting and showcasing our youth teams.

are they really that incompetent?!?!?!, hasnt anyone said anything to them?, at these fan meetings etc?!!?

Edited by MaVilla

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Hasnt anyone said anything to them?, at these fan meetings etc?!!?

I have. 

Several times. 

We were told at the last meeting early in December that the club were in the process of building the necessary infrastructure for TV cameras. I'm pretty sure that's been completed, because its the same camera points they use for the highlights when they do them.

We played Reading in the Youth Cup and their coverage was superb, the full match on youtube with commentary, Leeds had two commentators and full match video. Palace had a former player helping a commentator on full video for £3.

We'll get a couple of tweets on a night when there hasn't been this much interest in our U23's for years, maybe decades.

• Like 1