EFL Trophy 2020-21

OutByEaster?

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Looking at the Fleetword team a lot of the players were 20 years of age or under.  Did our youngsters just get comfortably beaten but theirs? 

Possibly, but aren't most of ours 18years of age or under?  I know it's a cliché but 2 years, even a years, development at that age bracket can make a big difference. Its 10% of their life,  even more as a ratio of the time they've been playing football for. 

If I'm mistaken on the age thing,  it sounds like we got off to a crap start before realising we had to actually play. Maybe a psychological learning curve for them, thinking they had it in the bag before they kicked a ball.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Possibly, but aren't most of ours 18years of age or under?  I know it's a cliché but 2 years, even a years, development at that age bracket can make a big difference. Its 10% of their life,  even more as a ratio of the time they've been playing football for. 

Very true also it has to be noted that this team has just been thrown together. 

Lovely to see such a radical overhaul but this will be the obvious consequence till they settle.

From the descriptions I've read of the game it sounds like the 3-0 scoreline wasn't wholly reflective of how the game went, we just got caught out early because of a few individual mistakes and it was always going to be difficult to come back from that, can and has happened to the senior team, but sounds like for the rest of the game we put up a good fight, and losing by two or three goals is what I would have expected, although disappointing that we couldn't get on the score sheet ourselves.

Also as I said it was obvious before kick-looking at the line-up that we were more concerned  with giving as many of our promising youngsters experience against senior side than we were of getting a result, that's reflected in the midfield we put out, normally Chukwuemeka, A Ramsey and J Ramsey wouldn't all play as a midfield three, as they're all attack minded, usually you'd have one of Brunt, Guy or Harrison Sohna as the holding midfielder.

I think the main thing we have to remember is just because they've been involved in these heavy defeats, doesn't really reflect how well some of them will do as individuals if called upon by the senior team, Jacob Ramsey has played both games for example but has also done very well for the first team, and there will be a few others like that.

Â