EFL Trophy 2020-21

OutByEaster?

I’m pretty sure they won’t lose 8-1 next time, it’s the first time a lot of these have played together and they will get better. The result doesn’t really matter too much, it’s the development they take from the experience that counts. 

Johann Cruyff's mantra when developing youth is imo the best. How did they play? When we beat the Liverpool kids they actually played really well. Nyland was the man of the match. So it'll be interesting to see if we dominated any spells in the game even it's 15-20 minutes that's awesome for these kids. 

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Sturridge on the bench, is he part of the Sturridge football family?

I believe he is. Don't nail me to the cross on that but I remember reading it somewhere.

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I’m pretty sure they won’t lose 8-1 next time, it’s the first time a lot of these have played together and they will get better. The result doesn’t really matter too much, it’s the development they take from the experience that counts. 

A lot of the goals were late too weren't they? Probably as a result of the heads dropping/adults being physically fitter than children.

16 hours ago, useless said:

Most of our most highly rated youngsters like Sebastian Revan, Kesler, Aaron Ramsey, and Louie Barry have only just turned 17, Chukwuemeka, Chrisene, Sinkels, O'Reilly and Shakpoke are all still sixteen, all too young to go on loan, not even sure if they're allowd to go out on loan by law at that age.

Jacob Ramsey, Wright, Philogene-Bidace, Mungo Bridge and Archer are all 18 so those could well be loaned out, but the others barely have any experience at U23 level at the moment, they need at least a season at that level, and maybe give some of them a few minutes here and there with the senior team in the cups.

Any idea what's happened to the other Revan?

I remember when he was on the bench as back up CB in the championship 18 months back. Since then no real word on his progress and no loan move to get some senior games under his belt. Unless he's had injuries he's the classic example of young player stagnating, 20 next week.

Edit: I see he played last night....

Him, the keeper, Vassilev and Kesler given how stocked we are at RB now are the ones I'd look to loan out by start of October.

Edited by VillaChris

5 hours ago, holtend4life said:

I thought Jacob Ramsey looked like he was at the level required against league one opposition last night. He plays a diagonal pass very well, and physically up to it compared to the others (which is to be expected). 

No surprise as he was excellent from the start at Doncaster who are pretty much par with Sunderland these days.

The kid has gone something. Would keep him around first team squad up to January and then look to loan him out to a championship team.

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Southampton, a professional team who finished near the top half, with players worth millions, lost 8-0 to leicester last season.

It. happens. To use it as a stick to beat our prominently very young lads, on what was most of their first competitive game, is **** pathetic.  

You seem some what confused. I even said it happens. I also said they will learn from it and it's not important. 

But it's just beyond laughable to down play a 8-1 loss then pretending they are a bunch of 17 year olds, when they aren't. A horrible result and you don't do anyone any favours pretending it's okay. At 18-19 years old you should be in contention for first team football and this result indicates most of them are not, which is disappointing. 

And giving them stick? For real? Pointing out that a 8-1 loss when you're a professional footballer is bad, does not even remotely equate to giving stick. 

According to Sunderland they played a bunch of reserves, so you're probably talking league two quality on a lot of them. 

If you’re having a problem with people pointing out this was poor and a bad day, for a supposedly top academy, then you need a reality check. It's not about giving stick. It's about calling a spade a spade. 

My fascination with the match was more than anything our ineptness at set pieces. Really didn't look like we've ever defended one before. 

The real pathetic stuff is when you can't say it as it is and rather retort to lies. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

21 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You seem some what confused. I even said it happens. I also said they will learn from it and it's not important. 

But it's just beyond laughable to down play a 8-1 loss then pretending they are a bunch of 17 year olds, when they aren't. A horrible result and you don't do anyone any favours pretending it's okay. At 18-19 years old you should be in contention for first team football and this result indicates most of them are not, which is disappointing. 

And giving them stick? For real? Pointing out that a 8-1 loss when you're a professional footballer is bad, does not even remotely equate to giving stick. 

According to Sunderland they played a bunch of reserves, so you're probably talking league two quality on a lot of them. 

If you’re having a problem with people pointing out this was poor and a bad day, for a supposedly top academy, then you need a reality check. It's not about giving stick. It's about calling a spade a spade. 

My fascination with the match was more than anything our ineptness at set pieces. Really didn't look like we've ever defended one before. 

The real pathetic stuff is when you can't say it as it is and rather retort to lies. 

As others have said, it was not a reserve Sunderland side, it was a strong side. This has been conveniently ignored.

There were a handful of 17 (even 16 in Carney's case) year olds in the team, some playing their first ever game. This is not a lie. 

I just don't put enough stock in a single result, with a bunch of lads who may have played for the first time together, against a highly experienced, solid outfit regardless of the severity of the scoreline. Also as @bobzy pointed out, it was a 'normal# scoreline until the final 15 minutes, where young heads likely dropped, and/or the fitness of the highly experienced opposition came through.

Anyway, you seem hell bent on dragging this thread into negativity and slagging off the young lads off the back of one bad result, so I'll let you crack on.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

As others have said, it was not a reserve Sunderland side, it was a strong side. This has been conveniently ignored.

There were a handful of 17 (even 16 in Carney's case) year olds in the team, some playing their first ever game. This is not a lie. 

I just don't put enough stock in a single result, with a bunch of lads who may have played for the first time together, against a highly experienced, solid outfit regardless of the severity of the scoreline. Also as @bobzy pointed out, it was a 'normal# scoreline until the final 15 minutes, where young heads likely dropped, and/or the fitness of the highly experienced opposition came through.

Anyway, you seem hell bent on dragging this thread into negativity and slagging off the young lads off the back of one bad result, so I'll let you crack on.

Nobody is slagging them off. I'm not sure you grasp what that word means. 

You also said 'They were mostly 16/17 playing their first competitive game.' which is and was a straight up lie. 

Then you you pull some better fan crap and try to insinuate the youngsters are being slagged off. Which they aren't. It's fully possible to comment 8-1 is unacceptable and that's not slagging anyone off. If anyone thinks that you must live a sheltered life. 

If you think that was a strong Sunderland, you also know better yhan Sunderland fans. I'll let you figure out which of you that's likely to know that the best. I personally know very little about safc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

At 18-19 years old you should be in contention for first team football and this result indicates most of them are not, which is disappointing. 

I think there's more truth in that individually than collectively - if you're a really top quality 19 year old, you should be looking at starting to make an impact at first team level somewhere - but I think when you have a whole team of players at that age, it's a different thing entirely to expect that whole team to collectively play at a level that is approaching a first team.

The scoreline is horrible and it'll be a valuable lesson for them, the collapse at the end is something they can learn from mentally if nothing else, but I don't think it's cause for panic - we've got a talented group here.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Play Fleetwood tomorrow, was surprsed to see that they're fourth from bottom, they were in sixth place and only two points from the automatic places when last season was cancelled, so will be another tough game for our youngsters, not sure who's going to be available either with some of them on international duty this week.

Overall it's probably a weaker team than the one that lost to Sunderland, as there's no Kesler, Vassilev, Philogene-Bidace or Archer, although Barry comes in, and Walker in place of Kesler at least gives them a bit more experience, haven't heard a great deal about Sturridge, so will be interesting to hear how he does.

I think the midfield three shows that we're not bothered about the result and it's more about giving our best prospects game time, otherwise I think Brunt would be in there to add a bit of steel, as it is that midfield three is very attack minded.

• Thanks 1

Â