EFL Trophy 2020-21

OutByEaster?

They'll learn more from this than playing their own age group. Nothing at all wrong with a humbling experience. When you are at a big club even though you aren't part of the first team squad, the sense of entitlement can creep it. This should be a timely reminder to them that they have a way to go yet .

They won't get beat this bad every week, they're playing near enough Sunderland's full strength team, this kind of result isn't uncommon for academy teams in this competition, three of our starting eleven only turned seventeen this year and another is still only sixteen, more than half our team still qualify for U18 football.

If a few of them get a chance alongside some of the more senior players against Burton then that will give us a better idea of how good they can beat.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stegzy said:

I think it’s fine as gives them a taste of proper  agricultural football. They can get there wins in the league.

Yeah I like the idea of these games. They are like a mini loan for the players as they are playing against tougher opposition than own age group, without having to leave the club. 

Edited by mikeyp102

8-1 FT. Goalkeeper and defenders had a very poor day at the office. Nothing really came off for Aaron Ramsey/Tyreik Wright/Vassilev (bar a well-taken pen). Jacob Ramsey was good - I think he's good enough for a loan to the Championship, with a view to being integrated to the first team the following season. JPB had flashes of quality. Chukwuemeka didn't do much first half, but second half improved a lot, winning the pen and dribbling/passing well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Such a shame in the end. Really held there own in the first half and then started 2nd well. Sad to see them give up the fight after the 3rd goal though. Jacob Ramsey easily motm for us. Bidace also had a good game but our defence and goalie were awful. Really young team though and certainly held their own for large parts so shouldn’t be too disheartened. I agree a championship loan would be great for Ramsey.

27 minutes ago, stegzy said:

I think it’s fine as gives them a taste of proper  agricultural football. They can get there wins in the league.

I dont think at any level losing 8-1 is any positives whatsoever. Just crushes their confidence 

Edited by Demitri_C

44 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's piss poor whatever way they choose to look at it. At 18-19 years of age you are supposed to hold your own. 

Either way, doesn't mean much. 

Men against boys, it was virtually their first team Squad playing for places in the first league game of the season, disappointing but not piss poor. Put a good 18 year old into our first team you would hope he could hold his own surrounded by seasoned pros but eleven youngsters against eleven experienced pros it ain’t going to happen. Disappointing but not piss poor 

Edited by smg
Forgot to say
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, smg said:

Men against boys, it was virtually their first team Squad playing for places in the first league game of the season, disappointing but not piss poor. Put a good 18 year old into our first team you would hope he could hold his own surrounded by seasoned pros but eleven youngsters against eleven experienced pros it ain’t going to happen. Disappointing but not piss poor 

Would rather send most of them on loan so they can get used ot playing against senior pros and not get overawed like they did tonight.

Arsenal under 21s won 2-1 away at Ipswich and most of their better ones are away with various national teams so suggests ours need a little bit of improvement and exposure to lower league football is usually the way to do it.

If it means a few more stuffings in this competition so be it.

Â