EFL Trophy 2020-21

OutByEaster?

It's obviously piss poor. Might be men against boys, but they are adult pro footballers. Whether they are eleven 18-19 year olds is completely irrelevant. At that age you should be ready for senior football. At 8-1 it's pretty clear you're not. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would rather send most of them on loan so they can get used ot playing against senior pros and not get overawed like they did tonight.

Arsenal under 21s won 2-1 away at Ipswich and most of their better ones are away with various national teams so suggests ours need a little bit of improvement and exposure to lower league football is usually the way to do it.

If it means a few more stuffings in this competition so be it.

Agree but I think some of these might be too young for that. There is nothing to be gained from going to a strange club and not playing regularly they would still be better off learning in familiar surroundings.

8 minutes ago, smg said:

Agree but I think some of these might be too young for that. There is nothing to be gained from going to a strange club and not playing regularly they would still be better off learning in familiar surroundings.

I'd say at 19 you're ready. Spurs send loads out when they're 18, some don' work but Kane was scoring goals for Orient in league 1 when he was just 17. Didn't work out for him the next two seasons at Millwall and Norwich but he was going up a league each season when more was demanded of him.

We have a nasty habit of holding onto young players in the cosy youth set up until they're past 20. O'Hare only got his first loan to Carlisle when he was a month or two off 21 and Green went to Preston last season when he was 21 although of course played more for our first team and had injuries unlike O'Hare.

Surely Vassilev is one certainty given he actually featured in a few premier league games for us?

Jacob Ramsey was doing really well at Doncaster last season and he was only 18 although that suggest he's probably the pick of this crop of young players currently and can see him on the first team bench a few times.

12 minutes ago, smg said:

I agree with you smg. This bunch are so young due to our new system of allowing older players to leave and U23 is already a very high level for these players, whom are mostly 17-18-19. I think maybe Jacob Ramsey and Philomen are 2 players that could benefit from a loan but it’s best for the others to learn the Villa way. We also didn’t play any of the new signings tonight.

• Like 1

Such a load of twaddle they need familiar surroundings at 18 years old. If they are good enough they will benefit from a loan. Jesus, at 18 I was in the military. Are you telling me they are so soft these days they can't go on a loan under a pro contract? Have a word. 

Most of our most highly rated youngsters like Sebastian Revan, Kesler, Aaron Ramsey, and Louie Barry have only just turned 17, Chukwuemeka, Chrisene, Sinkels, O'Reilly and Shakpoke are all still sixteen, all too young to go on loan, not even sure if they're allowd to go out on loan by law at that age.

Jacob Ramsey, Wright, Philogene-Bidace, Mungo Bridge and Archer are all 18 so those could well be loaned out, but the others barely have any experience at U23 level at the moment, they need at least a season at that level, and maybe give some of them a few minutes here and there with the senior team in the cups.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Most of our most highly rated youngsters like Sebastian Revan, Kesler, Aaron Ramsey, and Louie Barry have only just turned 17, Chukwuemeka, Chrisene, Sinkels, O'Reilly and Shakpoke are all still sixteen, all too young to go on loan, not even sure if they're allowd to go out on loan by law at that age.

Jacob Ramsey, Wright, Philogene-Bidace, Mungo Bridge and Archer are all 18 so those could well be loaned out, but the others barely have any experience at U23 level at the moment, they need at least a season at that level, and maybe give some of them a few minutes here and there with the senior team in the cups.

I think Bridge is 19 now, edit- he is and Jacob Ramsey is 19 too

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

Yes I meant to write 18 or over, he turns 20 this Saturday, a loan would probably do him good if we can find him a decent side, today might not help with that though.

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 1

Barry not playing today is nothing to do with him not being ready to play for the U21 team, he'll be the main striker for the U23s this season once he's fit.

Edited by useless

38 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Such a load of twaddle they need familiar surroundings at 18 years old. If they are good enough they will benefit from a loan. Jesus, at 18 I was in the military. Are you telling me they are so soft these days they can't go on a loan under a pro contract? Have a word. 

Not twaddle just something your background will mean you see things differently, there is no point continuing this discussion, we will differ, the point of a forum 

To put it into perspective we beat a Liverpool team, who you could argue, have the best academy in the country, 5-1. And a couple of their players like Elliot and Jones had exposure to first team squads. The reality is with any group of academy players , you'd be doing well to get 1 or 2 into the 1st team squad each year. A Sunderland team/manager/owner who are under the microscope big time with a fan base who definetely won't accept a 4th year in league one. Pretty much have to have their finger on the pulse from minute one this year and they were on it tonight against 11 kids, let's call a spade a spade. Looks bad but i wouldn't catastrophise it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mazrim said:

You really are a bollix.

Not really. Leicester U21s best sunderland in this cup last year and topped the group.

I've seen a lot of U21s get results against league 1 sides. If we lost then fair enough but 8-1 against a league 1 side is not acceptable. I dont care if they are a young side.

We talk about not producing any players from our academy in a decade and we lose 8-1 to a pub team and it's almost acceptable.

• Like 1

It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but the notion that losing 8-1 is acceptable cause it's a young team is just a weird take on it. Losing per say is to be expected, but losing 8-1 obviously not. 

Either way, hopefully they'll learn from it. 

• Like 1

It was probably their first game together and some of them were 16. When me and my mates entered a new league we got hammered (wahey) every week. Once we got used to the bigger stronger faster men playing against us we started to hand out the beatings. 

As Cruyff used to say don't tell me what the result is ,how did they actually play? Did they pass the ball well, was the movement good, did they express themselves etc etc etc. 

Â