EFL Trophy 2020-21

OutByEaster?

Our first game in this is a week today.

We're in a group with Carlisle, Fleetwood Town and Sunderland and it should be a really good test for our youngsters.

I note that it's Under 21's rather than U23's, but I don't think that actually affects many of our group.

Does anyone know the rules in terms of over age players or eligibility?

Line up predictions?

Louie Barry I’m assuming will be involved, be a decent marker for his progress in relative terms.

Vassilev too maybe, the club seem to be quite invested in his progression albeit he came into the squad off the back of injuries in attack.

I was pissed off at myself for not going to the games last season, I’d fully intended to as they were all nearby within a 30 minute drive although one of them was cancelled (Bury), I remember it was impossible to get any online ticket info on either clubs site which was off-putting.

I doubt it. The EFL are spotty  and U21's online rights are usually left to the clubs .Villa has actively avoided investing in our own match recording and broadcast infrastructure for years, so it maybe lucky dip depending on who our opponents are so we can watch their streams.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

Carlisle, Fleetwood Town and Sunderland, will provide a tough test for our young lads and they will be looking to turn the PL club over. Fleetwood and Sunderland, will be aiming to go all the way to Wembley in this one and are also strong promotion candidates for next season, in my opinion. The club should seriously look at getting these games shown.

3 hours ago, John said:

Carlisle, Fleetwood Town and Sunderland, will provide a tough test for our young lads and they will be looking to turn the PL club over. Fleetwood and Sunderland, will be aiming to go all the way to Wembley in this one and are also strong promotion candidates for next season, in my opinion. The club should seriously look at getting these games shown.

So they play with their full team and we play with our under-21s?    or everyone plays with their under-21s?

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I don't understand what this means...

Before 2016-17 the Football League Trophy was open only to clubs in the third and fourth tier of the football league- leagues one and two,

Since 2016-17 some academy teams from the championship and premier league have been invited to play.

So previously for Vila to be in this competition we needed to be playing in either league one or two.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ender4 said:

So they play with their full team and we play with our under-21s?    or everyone plays with their under-21s?

They will play something approaching their first team and we will play our U-21's.

Fleetwood already top our group, they beat Carlisle 3-1 last night.

Going to be very tough for our young side in this competition, getting some experience against senior sides will be the main thing.

Edited by useless

18 minutes ago, useless said:

Fleetwood already top our group, they beat Carlisle 3-1 last night.

Going to be very tough for our young side in this competition, getting some experience against senior sides will be the main thing.

I think there is less pressure on them so they might suprise

Might depend on the sort of team we put out, the intention in the U23 competitions is to play mostly sixteen to eighteen year olds, in this competition we might play a few of the older youngsters above that age range if they haven't gone out loan. Either way we'll be second favorites, but don't think results matter too much in this competition, will be nice if can do well, but I think the main thing will be the experience that the players will get playing against senior teams in a competitive game.

• Thanks 1

Â