Villan NOT Villain

nrogers

I always felt these nicknames were kinda lame anyway, and mostly just still around for sports journalists who need a synonym for a team name. "Villans " and "Villains" is kind of an enh who cares distinction anyway, but anyone using the word "Villians" needs to be shot into the sun

Not according to Wiki, and not as long I have been a Villan have we ever been called Villains, apart from people that don't know better.

Invoking Wiki during a debate should be akin to invoking Hitler, whereby you automatically lose the argument. "not as long as I've been a Villan" doesn't carry much currency either, how long is that?

Strange you make this post I contacted the Admin last week because I misspelled my user name when I joined the site. I asked if he could take the "I" out, he said it would be easier to make a new user name so when I am not so lazy thats what I will need to do.

This is something that has been bugging me for a while, people calling us Villains, we are NOT criminals. We are Villans... people on this and other boards spelling it wrong is bad, but even **** Sky and BBC are getting it wrong.

Sort it out people. WE ARE VILLANS!

Beg to differ - as long as I can remember we have been Villains with an "i" - I have no proof that this was anything other than a corruption so I checked my old man and a 87 year old member of our supporters club and they concurred that as far back as they can remember we have always been the VILLAINS.........

Like another poster I believe that the term VILLANS was inspired by ellis as he felt Villains was derogatory. So I suppose you could argue that officially we are the Villans but personally I and many others will always refer to us as the Villains :D

This is something that has been bugging me for a while, people calling us Villains, we are NOT criminals. We are Villans... people on this and other boards spelling it wrong is bad, but even **** Sky and BBC are getting it wrong.

Sort it out people. WE ARE VILLANS!

Beg to differ - as long as I can remember we have been Villains with an "i" - I have no proof that this was anything other than a corruption so I checked my old man and a 87 year old member of our supporters club and they concurred that as far back as they can remember we have always been the VILLAINS.........

Like another poster I believe that the term VILLANS was inspired by ellis as he felt Villains was derogatory. So I suppose you could argue that officially we are the Villans but personally I and many others will always refer to us as the Villains :D

You would be correct Mike, My understanding is that we were always Vilains until the club decided to change it with the growing problem of footbal hooliganism in the early 70's. Ellis and the rest of the board then decided to change is to Villans to attempt to make a distinction between fans of AVFC and those of a criminal bent.

Simply put the term Villan is Ellesian

Bah we are basing this on some people understanding, conflicting reports and some finger pointing at Ellis, there's only one way to settle this: invoke the ghost of McGregor. I can't imagine that in the early years of our club the people running it would have accepted the term "Villain" it would have gone against what the club stood for. My guess is it was changed from Villan to Villain over the hooliganism years and Ellis simply tried to change it back.

Bah we are basing this on some people understanding, conflicting reports and some finger pointing at Ellis, there's only one way to settle this: invoke the ghost of McGregor. I can't imagine that in the early years of our club the people running it would have accepted the term "Villain" it would have gone against what the club stood for. My guess is it was changed from Villan to Villain over the hooliganism years and Ellis simply tried to change it back.

But you appear to be guessing TSV, it's actually documented in books. This is not finger pointing at Ellis either, I didn't say he shouldn't have done it, there is a very good argument to say that he was right to do it. This was Ellis Pre-Bendall era Villa

Ask any Villa fan over a certain age, just like Mike did with his dad and they'll tell you the original spelling was the correct English version of the word not some made up word

Ha! found a picture of him.

I remember the Villa Villan well from the Sports Argus (although I could swear at one point it was "Villa'n") but sadly I have pulped my lifetime collection long ago in the interests of marital harmony and living space.

This is described as an enamel badge from the '80s, so it doesn't deny the memory of older fans that it used to be "Villain" but it is pictorial undeniable evidence that Villan was so much an established name that enamel badges were made!

I'm with Nick on this one, and it's not often we can say that! :winkold:

6e67_1.JPG

I think that because 'Villan' is uniquely Villa whereas 'Villain' isn't, I prefer Villan, although I accept Bicks' assertion that it is Ellisian. We'll give Doug that one. I am also not pre-Ellis so 'Villan' is all I've ever known.