Villan NOT Villain

nrogers

I like to use villainians or villaphrodites myself. I'm no more a Villan than a villain, I'm an Aston Villa supporter.

I can understand why someone would call a Villa supporter a Villain, it's a simple play on words. It isn't anything like calling a Villa fan a paedo, it just isn't.

People calling Martin O'Neill British pisses me off more. He's Irish, people could at least give him the couteousy of getting his nationality right.

Villain is annoying too but I don't see it that ofter to be honest.

Q'est ce-que c'est? Last time I checked N.Ireland was part of the British Isles....

Makes him British in my book. Can see where you're coming from though :winkold:

Used to be Villains in the Sixties and Seventies when we had the cartoon character in the Argus that looked like a Bonfire Night character.

Maybe someone can google or copy a piccie of him.

My recollection is that they used to call him "Villa'n"?

So they were sitting on the fence.

People calling Martin O'Neill British pisses me off more. He's Irish, people could at least give him the couteousy of getting his nationality right.

Q'est ce-que c'est? Last time I checked N.Ireland was part of the British Isles....

I always thought it was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland so...

Really gets to me also when folks call it villians, for me it shows a lack of knowledge for our club.

You know our nickname was "villains" before it was ever "Villans", right? I assume "villians" was a typo, as I've never seen anyone intentionally call us that ;)

Calling us "Villans" is pretty much the same as calling the Witton Lane stand the Do*g Ell*s.

I shall continue on my merry way, my apologies if it offends your sense of personal identity.

I'm fairly certain we were Villains for about 100 years before Ellis thought people might confuse us with a group of gangsters. I'll be sure to dig through my programme collection when I get home from work.

Can't find any real source from Googling, but as it just assumes Villans is a misspelling that's not entirely surprising.

It would be a bit odd for a fanzine (H&V) to get such basic information wrong though, wouldn't it.

I always thought it was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland so...

Indeed it is. Great Britain is only our little island.

However, being British extends to a fair bit further than just Great Britain. People from Northern Ireland are definitely British, as are those on the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

This is something that has been bugging me for a while, people calling us Villains, we are NOT criminals. We are Villans... people on this and other boards spelling it wrong is bad, but even **** Sky and BBC are getting it wrong.

Sort it out people. WE ARE VILLANS!

Well said Nick, its been pissing me off for a while. And while we are on this subject will people stop calling the game against Blues a Derby!!!!!! Its not a Derby its a derby, we played Derby the week before. :twisted:

No Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. Britain consists of England Scotland and Wales.

Ireland Consists of the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Also the Good Friday Agreement states that any Northern Irish person can choose to be considered Irish or British. He's Irish, most of Derry are Irish.

Also the island of Ireland is part of the British Isles, that make me British :D ?

So endeth the lesson.

Indeed it is. Great Britain is only our little island.

However, being British extends to a fair bit further than just Great Britain. People from Northern Ireland are definitely British, as are those on the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

Wrong....

People from Northern Ireland are either 'British' or Irish. Enshrined in the Good Friday Agreement is the fact that people from Northern Ireland have the right to self-define as regards their own nationality, and this for obvious reasons tends to fall along the lines of Catholic=Irish, Protestant=British. A 'Northern Irish' (ie born in Northern Ireland) person today has the automatic right to choose whether to have an Irish or UK passport, and thus choose their own citizenship (nb they would be citizens of the UK anyway, not British). They have always had the right to opt out of British citzenship and take Irish, but now there is no deafult and one must opt-in to whichever they want.

Martin O'Neill is Catholic. However, he used to play for Northern Ireland, and I personally haven't seen his passport or heard him speak on the matter. Therefore I don't know whether he would class himself as being from the UK or Irish, but he is definitely not 'British' per se.

Aah, you may be right there Ponky..... I'll get my coat :oops:

:lol: You Villain.

I'd love to see people tell my Housmate Ultan from Derry that he's British :D

Anyway enough on the Northern Ireland British or Irish debate....I have to go to work :(