The Art Thread

villa_shere

Probably not in keeping with much on this thread but I loved this painting as it's the Harris beach we used to play on as kids. Now pride of place in the dining room.

MJa9lGE.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/23/2018 at 07:42, blandy said:

Did you see that one that's on the roof of some blokes house or whatever? By Leonardo DiCaprio

I think it's called the sixteenth chapel.

I thought one before it, the fifteenth chapel was better myself.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

You’ve clearly just watched the bbc painting program!

Agree it’s a good painting though 

Yes, I've always liked the futurists, but Nevinson was a new one for me. 

• Like 2

Had an invite to Whitehall galleries this weekend for their 10th anniversary in merry hill.

So I took the wife today as we've bought 3 Henderson cicz's this year.  Really pleased with them.  So we went, we knew there'd be fizzy wine and cakes and stuff, a few lowries (sp?) and a couple of Picasso's, so interesting..

Bought another-f****g-one haven't we?

Probably my fave.  A guy called John waterhouse, the piece is called "free time".

Evokes a lot of ww1 with a bit of hope and happiness in amongst the loss (which might be an odd interpretation of it to be honest) just because of the landscape.

Here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.arthouse-gallery.co.uk/epages/BT3958.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3958/Products/"freetime+john+waterhouse"&Locale=en_GB

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/04/2018 at 22:20, lapal_fan said:

Had an invite to Whitehall galleries this weekend for their 10th anniversary in merry hill.

So I took the wife today as we've bought 3 Henderson cicz's this year.  Really pleased with them.  So we went, we knew there'd be fizzy wine and cakes and stuff, a few lowries (sp?) and a couple of Picasso's, so interesting..

Probably my fave.  A guy called John waterhouse, the piece is called "free time".

Evokes a lot of ww1 with a bit of hope and happiness in amongst the loss (which might be an odd interpretation of it to be honest) just because of the landscape.

http://www.arthouse-gallery.co.uk/epages/BT3958.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3958/Products/"freetime+john+waterhouse"&Locale=en_GB

I once worked at a Gallery/Illustration agency and had to paint over a small section of one of those embellished Henderson Cisz prints.

Really didn't want to do it, Felt wrong even though it was just a print.

Edited by sexbelowsound

3 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

I once worked at a Gallery/Illustration agency and had to paint over a small section of one of those embellished Henderson Cisz prints.

Really didn't want to do it, Felt wrong even though it was just a print.

Ahh you've ruined the magic.

I was told he embellished them! Ahh well.

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Ahh you've ruined the magic.

I was told he embellished them! Ahh well.

Oh, sorry. I'm sure he did.

I had to paint over a section of one of the embellishments because the owner of the gallery didn't like it!

2 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I had to paint over a section of one of the embellishments because the owner of the gallery didn't like it!

I’m the same with my Picasso prints. I just cut out all the face features and glue them into their rightful positions. The finished article shows that Picasso was actually a good little doodler.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

No need to be sorry! It doesn't matter really. If he didn't do it, it doesn't take away my enjoyment of it. :)

On 29/04/2018 at 22:20, lapal_fan said:

I’ve just had a look, and I like it. It reminds me of Lord of the Rings.

I don’t think I’d have paid that amount for it though, not unless some little back-office nerd sketched Frodo, Sam and Gollum into it.

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

No need to be sorry! It doesn't matter really. If he didn't do it, it doesn't take away my enjoyment of it. :)

Yeah, I like his work a lot. Check out Scott Naismith's work. He uses a similar array of colours and marks but his work is mostly inspired by the Scottish landscape.

• 3 months later...
On 18/02/2018 at 19:30, Shropshire Lad said:

The most recent addition to the walls at home. 

I can’t imagine it would have made it there if I was still living with the ex.

Edit - sorry should say it’s by an American artist called Paine Proffitt who’s based in Stoke. There are other Villa prints to choose from.

D7903B3A-0895-4958-B56E-AC44744FB7A7.jpeg

In addition to the above, I’ve finally got around to hanging this up, in what I guess would be my “man cave”.

This was bought on a trip to the Isle of Wight in 1994 when I was young enough and naive enough to think that John Fashanu was an exciting signing.

Judging by the honours list, I assume it was drawn prior to the 1994 league cup final.

E8F205F1-554F-4B2B-B665-527F3522D864.jpeg

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

Â