2020/21 Squad Numbers

villan-scott

I am a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to squad numbers, and I was thinking about our current players numbers and which are vacant for the 2020/21 season. 

Numbers as it stands - 

1 - Heaton

2 - Vacant

3 - Taylor

4 - Vacant

5 - Vacant

6 - Douglas Luiz

7 - McGinn

8 - Lansbury

9 - Wesley

10 - Grealish

11 - Nakamba

12 - Steer

13 - Vacant

14 - Hourihane

15 - Konsa

16 - Bree (soon to be vacant)

17 - Trezeguet 

18 - Targett 

19 - Vacant

20 - Samatta

21 - El Ghazi

22 - Engels

23 - Jota

24 - Guilbert

25 - Nyland

27 - Elmo

30 - Hause

39 - Davis

40 - Mings

I think that’s all the first team allocated numbers. Some shockers in there and a lot of vacant numbers in the 1-11

Who would you want to see change numbers? Would you rather new signings take the prominent numbers or ‘promote’ someone from within?

Obvious one is Nakamba at number 11. Just wrong. Lansbury needs to vacate the number 8, and I’d promote Konsa to number 5.

• Thanks 1

I’m with you on the traditional numbers for positions but I think some players get attached to numbers these days. I wouldn’t change a number if a player was attached or superstitious about it as I don’t think it’s worth rocking the boat. However everything else being equal I like players to have a proper number that traditionally would denote their position. Konsa 5 is a good shout. 

• Like 4

I used to feel like it was a ranking system and that if you were in the best 11 players or more so if you were the best in your position then you would be no 2 for a RB for example. I think if there are numbers chosen by players placed purely on personal choice for whatever reason then as Dave has said we would be foolish to change them.

Was it Jimmy danger who gave up his shirt number for JT, he was never the same after.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I used to feel like it was a ranking system and that if you were in the best 11 players or more so if you were the best in your position then you would be no 2 for a RB for example. I think if there are numbers chosen by players placed purely on personal choice for whatever reason then as Dave has said we would be foolish to change them.

Was it Jimmy danger who gave up his shirt number for JT, he was never the same after.

Definitely, like Mings and number 40. He has chosen that number so that’s fine, it’s the numbers that don’t match the position that bug me. For instance McGinn, he shouldn’t have 7, I’d prefer him to have 8. 

Yes, number 2 for right back, 3 for left back is how it should be as best it can. 

Kodjia gave up his shirt for JT yeah, how much say he had in that though I’m not sure! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MNVillan said:

Wow I did not know this mattered so much to some people.

Not a dig at anybody, I truly just did not know squad numbers denoted position/pecking order.

It’s a strange one if you’re used to American sports, MNVillan.

I was organising the shirt numbers for a US-based hurling team once. Had to tell one of the lads, who turned out to be a very solid midfielder, that the Number 1 jersey is usually reserved for the keeper 😬

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully Konsa gets a lower shirt number, maybe 4 and you'd expect Cash to take the 2. 

I'd like McGinn to take 8 to free up 7 for a new signing and Marv will most likely give up the 11 shirt to Ollie. 

I agree with above I think a player in the first 11 numbers is generally a starter. I don't like Mings wearing 40, but that's his choice obviously. 

On 01/09/2020 at 02:45, MNVillan said:

Wow I did not know this mattered so much to some people.

Not a dig at anybody, I truly just did not know squad numbers denoted position/pecking order.

spacer.png

On 31/08/2020 at 06:35, villan-scott said:

1 - Vacant

2 - Targett

3 - Vacant

4 - Vacant

5 - Cash

6 - Douglas Luiz

7 - Vacant

8 - McGinn

9 - Vacant

10 - Grealish