Matty Cash

paul514

On 14/08/2021 at 21:00, Spoony said:

Before we destroy him too much let’s remember he was one of our best players last year. Give him a chance to bounce back

Madness. Let's instead crucify him because we lost a football match. 

• Like 1

I like Cash and while he had a shit game yesterday I think the idea he should be  benched or something is mental. 

I will say though, I’m really disappointed with his attacking side ever since he joined us. I thought that would be a big strength of his but we’ve barely seen that side from him. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I like Cash and while he had a shit game yesterday I think the idea he should be  benched or something is mental. 

I will say though, I’m really disappointed with his attacking side ever since he joined us. I thought that would be a big strength of his but we’ve barely seen that side from him. 

I noticed when attacking against Watford he'd often find himself in an advanced position, realise if he went to the byline he'd be way out of position, stopped, turned and played a safe ball back.

I'm not sure if that's a lack of confidence in our cover defense, a lack of confidence in his winger or just a lack of confidence in his ability

He may even be coached not to overcommit - something Guilbert used to do a fair bit of.

I watched the game and thought that most of the team weren't at it. For me, Cash is a good, likeable player. But, I've often thought that he finds himself out of position too many times during games. 

I agree with what some have said about over-committing on attacks. I think it's clear that he knows there won't be the necessary cover. He had Traore in front of him most of last season and he is known to not have much defensive awareness. El Ghazi was in front of Cash on Saturday and he's not much better at that side of the game either. 

16 hours ago, Farlz said:

This. I think he has some way to go in his development - plenty of good things about him but definitely room for improvement. 

Still a big fan of his but for me he’s the weakest link in our defence. Good on the ball and generally solid but he has a tendency to lose his head a bit (the sending off at home vs Man City was a good example). And he’s not adventurous enough going forward as others have said 

One shocking game doesn’t make him a bad player but I must admit I am still to see anything in him which leads me to believe he will be anywhere near an England call up as was reported to be on the radar. Also he wasn’t plucked from obscurity for £500,000 he cost £16million. I’m sure he’ll be fine but needs to improve and find his consistency…

Edited by thabucks

17 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I've often thought that he finds himself out of position too many times during games. 

I agree with what some have said about over-committing on attacks. 

Agreed with the first comment. His problem defending is that he has mental lapses/concentration issues. He gets caught ball-watching too often.

The mental lapses also be the cause for over-committing, but it's harder to tell. They could be conscious risk-taking.

I also don't think he's been the same since his injury.

3 hours ago, JPJCB said:

Still a big fan of his but for me he’s the weakest link in our defence.

Yes, the weakest of the four, but not below our current level. If we keep progressing, he would be the first that I'd want to upgrade.

I watched him against the Italians in pre season and he was woeful. He did make one forward run which actually ended up creating a goal but generally he was dire. Even Ian Taylor on the commentary was calling him out on his poor play. Getting a little concerned about him now as he just does not seem to be improving, especially with his "lack of" overlapping and very poor passing / crossing.

Personally i would give Gulbert a chance.

• Like 1

When was his last competitive match for us? Am I right in thinking Saturday was his first since early April. I don’t think he saw out the season.

Might be a consideration to use Konsa at RB for Newcastle and bring in Hause/Axel to CB alongside Mings and Young at LB.  I am a big fan of both Cash and Targett and certainly don’t think they’ve suddenly become bad players but they don’t look PL ready.

This Barrow game is going to be useful for quite a few first teamers. It would normally be a B team fixture but I think loads of them could use it for fitness/sharpness. 

Obviously Matty Cash’s turn to get persecuted today!

This is his third season as a full back, second in Premier League, expect errors.  

As is said on another thread, picking out individuals from Saturdays first half is unfair, the team was poor and when that happens it compounds individual errors.  Fitness will come and with it performances 

Not just a criticism of him from last weekend but Cash simply has to get up and down that line more. The argument that he’s sitting back to mind the house is weak. Alexander Arnold , since his first season in the PL, has been bombing up and down the line. This strolling up to the half way line and then passing back to Konsa is just sterile possession. I’d prefer him to be a bit braver and try move forward rather than fear of making mistakes. Castagne can do it, Coufal can do it. The modern WB has to get up and down.

47 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Not just a criticism of him from last weekend but Cash simply has to get up and down that line more. The argument that he’s sitting back to mind the house is weak. Alexander Arnold , since his first season in the PL, has been bombing up and down the line. This strolling up to the half way line and then passing back to Konsa is just sterile possession. I’d prefer him to be a bit braver and try move forward rather than fear of making mistakes. Castagne can do it, Coufal can do it. The modern WB has to get up and down.

Think Trent is a bit different. I'd say he doesn't bomb up and down but when teams play Liverpool they sit back which allows him to have a starting position that is higher up. His defending has also been marked as his weaker area.

I do agree that Cash needs to be braver in possession when attacking. At times he's like Neil Taylor where he'd rather drop a safe pass back to a CB.

• Like 1

Â