Matty Cash

paul514

34 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Unfortunately I think hes a huge downgrade for our aspirations. Hes a botton half prem player at best who's now at the end of his career. His service to villa is excellent but unfortunately he is a long way from cash. 

I think most people would accept that but choose to remain positive and hope that Elmo continues to be dependable if nothing else. He even found the net for us during Project Restart so miracles may happen.

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think most people would accept that but choose to remain positive and hope that Elmo continues to be dependable if nothing else. He even found the net for us during Project Restart so miracles may happen.

Not, not positive (I think I might be the only person who still supports Barkley). Just having the debate. Elmo is a big step down, a success story in a way of how far and how quickly weve progressed.

Hope he does well.

1 minute ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Not, not positive (I think I might be the only person who still supports Barkley). Just having the debate. Elmo is a big step down, a success story in a way of how far and how quickly weve progressed.

Hope he does well.

I agree with you so much that I don’t think it’s a debate, there’s just nothing we can do but hope for the best. 

Bloody hell don't ever give a slightly controversial opinion about football on Twitter. I thought politics Twitter was bad but football Twitter is a cesspit.

Anyway, I like Cash. I think he's really good. Great getting forward, strong in the tackle and stands up well.

But we're often attacked down our right and teams get most of their joy from there. It seems like it's known that it's our weakest side. Previously I've blamed Traore for not helping out but since I've been watching that side more closely to see what's happening it seems that even with 2 or 3 people helping there, we're always caught out by triangles around Cash. The same happens on the left but not as much because Targett seems to be able to anticipate them earlier.

This doesn't seem to happen with Elmo. He seems better at spotting what's happening and being in the right place. It may just be that we play different now so Cash has more to deal with.

Then when building up in tight space on the right, Elmo seems to be more accurate with passing and getting out of the press. Minor point but it helps retain possession.

Finally, the deep cross from Elmo is an effective weapon. Not having to work it to the byline to get it into the box is a huge bonus because we've started to become really bad at that on the right hand side, rendering Cash's undoubted crossing ability a bit less effective.

Just my opinion. At least here I can explain my thinking. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Bloody hell don't ever give a slightly controversial opinion about football on Twitter. I thought politics Twitter was bad but football Twitter is a cesspit.

Anyway, I like Cash. I think he's really good. Great getting forward, strong in the tackle and stands up well.

But we're often attacked down our right and teams get most of their joy from there. It seems like it's known that it's our weakest side. Previously I've blamed Traore for not helping out but since I've been watching that side more closely to see what's happening it seems that even with 2 or 3 people helping there, we're always caught out by triangles around Cash. The same happens on the left but not as much because Targett seems to be able to anticipate them earlier.

This doesn't seem to happen with Elmo. He seems better at spotting what's happening and being in the right place. It may just be that we play different now so Cash has more to deal with.

Then when building up in tight space on the right, Elmo seems to be more accurate with passing and getting out of the press. Minor point but it helps retain possession.

Finally, the deep cross from Elmo is an effective weapon. Not having to work it to the byline to get it into the box is a huge bonus because we've started to become really bad at that on the right hand side, rendering Cash's undoubted crossing ability a bit less effective.

Just my opinion. At least here I can explain my thinking. 

How dare you!! ;)

Fair point about getting caught out more on that side. Could it have anything to do with it not being the side Mings plays on?  (I’m really asking for it now!).  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Reece James and Cancelo are probably the best RBs in the league this season imo. If TAA can recapture his form from last year he'd be up there with them too.

But I'd say Cash has definitely been in the tier just below them with Wan Bissaka, Lamptey, Justin and Coufal.

cash is more consistent than james in my humble opinion.

justin looks very good indeed. don't rate AWB one bit

cancelo is #1 RB in the league for me...but cash definitely has a place in the conversation...arguably the best english RB, certainly based on form. i can see england caps for at least another 2 of our back line in the next 12 months

if they continue their current form, is there a case for playing all 4 of them for england? having a settled back 4 with such an understanding with each other has to be a plus doesn't it? rather than guys who just have the odd training session for england together

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

AWB is the worst with the ball of those mentioned but without it he's a monster. The amount of tackles he makes as a fullback is outrageous. Defensively the best full back in the league by a distance imo. Not what you want from a modern fullback though and would probably be best suited to playing right hand side of a back 3.

24 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I couldn’t cope with the stress of watching Villa’s entire back line be responsible for the footballing hopes of the nation.

wouldn't be stressful at all. think they'd win us the world cup personally. though i might be a teeny bit biased

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How dare you!! ;)

Fair point about getting caught out more on that side. Could it have anything to do with it not being the side Mings plays on?  (I’m really asking for it now!).  

It could well be. But Konsa is another you dare not criticise because the groupthink is that Mings isn't as good ;) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Elmo can do a decent stand in job for a few weeks, with Kesler as back up. Its a position we can cover!

Would scare the crap out of me if it were Target out!

He needs to get up to speed quick though, he was well off it (understandably) when he came on.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

cancelo is #1 RB in the league for me...but cash definitely has a place in the conversation...arguably the best english RB, certainly based on form. i can see england caps for at least another 2 of our back line in the next 12 months

if they continue their current form, is there a case for playing all 4 of them for england? having a settled back 4 with such an understanding with each other has to be a plus doesn't it? rather than guys who just have the odd training session for england together

Only if Martinez decided to play for England. Apparently he is still eligible. 

On 18/02/2021 at 11:36, darrenm said:

It could well be. But Konsa is another you dare not criticise because the groupthink is that Mings isn't as good ;) 

They vary in their attributes....I think they blend well like Evans & McNaught.

it depends which attributes catch the eye....they are both good.

Mingsy is just emerging from a few wobbles, but good player imo...but Konsa is taking the attention ay present.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â