Matty Cash

paul514

17 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I think Smith will be inclined to be cautious and start Elmo at RB, like he did with him and Taylor at the start of last season.

That said, he might decide with Trezeguet's work rate on the right he can take a risk with starting Cash.

Why would he start elmo over guilbert?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I have no idea what point you're making. That's exactly what he did at the start of last season and more controversially started Taylor over Targett.

My point is guilbert has already ayed for us so we wouldn't need elmo for continuity and guilbert is a much better defender and in my opinion a better attacker as well (not Necessarily his contributions but he makes the game easier for our other attacking players). So guilbert should start over elmo if he is fit. Guilbert is among the best full backs in the league and losing him would be a massive blow especially since according to him he underperformed and was still our 3rd best player. 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

My point is guilbert has already ayed for us so we wouldn't need elmo for continuity and guilbert is a much better defender and in my opinion a better attacker as well (not Necessarily his contributions but he makes the game easier for our other attacking players). So guilbert should start over elmo if he is fit. Guilbert is among the best full backs in the league and losing him would be a massive blow especially since according to him he underperformed and was still our 3rd best player. 

Oh, OK. I know he's been injured a bit which may be why he wasn't always first choice this year, but I'm not convinced Smith rates him for whatever reason.

I'm sure Cash was signed less as a direct replacement for Guilbert or whatever and more because he is versatile and can cover on the wing, as well as a potentially high ceiling. That versatility is prevalent in every signing and rumour so far other than Martinez, for obvious reasons.

Guilbert has had one or 2 particularly shocking games this season. Looked like a sunday league player vs southampton away. But post lockdown performances were encouraging and i'd be gutted to see him go

that said,  i think cash has been with us long enough to start today. spurs away last season was going to be tougher than today, so i get why he didn't want 3/4 of the defenders making debuts.

6 hours ago, Greenfly said:

This is true. He gets a bad rap, but there's nothing wrong with having a guy around who's mostly reliable and just does the basics well. I'm glad he's around, even if I'd never start him.

I can't agree. He doesn't do the basics well at all. That's the problem. He gets turned often, can't play simple passes, get's a nosebleed when over the halfway line and is pretty slow to react in the transition. I think the blocked shots stats are misleading somewhat. They should be high because when he plays the opposition I believe target our left side continually. Look at his positioning against Burton. Jack spent more time covering his arse in the first half in the LB position than doing his own job, such was Taylors positioning. He is just not the required standard anymore and we cannot afford to carry players. Championship player at best. 

I think he's served his purpose and should be thanked and moved on. With Targett being sicknote 2.0 we need some real competition in this area of the pitch. Should be a priority imo.

4 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I can't help but think I fall in this category, but that opinion is based on having seen both him and Mings play equal amounts.

I've no personal vendetta against Taylor, and if you watch some of the Villa TV clips you can see his is an exceptional character to have around the club. People like him and he's a source of comedy.

But for me I question his ability and dont want him starting for us.

I accept Mings is prone to mistakes,  but hes a centre back where such mistakes will get punished and stand out more obviously. Those occasional mistakes aside he is a great all round defender and a defence based playmaker to boot.  Taylor makes a mistake and it is rarely published so won't stick in the memory as much as Mings.  And even if he doesn't make them very often on the defensive side, he makes them regularly when we're attacking.. multiple times a game. He severely limits our output on the wing where he plays. For me, he has to be a backup option or we're in trouble. 

Oh absolutely.

He should be nowhere near the team. End of.

Â