Matty Cash

paul514

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

No mention of an injury in Friday's briefing to the media. Bought the kid to play. Put him in. If anything, the current environment with the pandemic is almost a good thing for a new signing arriving to a club with a big fan base and ordinarily a large home attendance. It's football in its purest form. You get to focus on the game. For a newcomer, that has to be a good thing.

I think Smith will be inclined to be cautious and start Elmo at RB, like he did with him and Taylor at the start of last season.

That said, he might decide with Trezeguet's work rate on the right he can take a risk with starting Cash.

29 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I think Smith will be inclined to be cautious and start Elmo at RB, like he did with him and Taylor at the start of last season.

That said, he might decide with Trezeguet's work rate on the right he can take a risk with starting Cash.

He did, you are right. I think Cash will be quality for us. I like his character, seems like a very confident bloke. Nasty too in a tackle, probably would of got the line for that tackle on James last weekend if it was a competitive game. I said it in the Ramsey thread. Nothing's nailed on. I don't think Smith could ignore any player who performs very well in training and match days given the frequency of games we have coming up. Lots of positions in the team that a fella, regardless of his age or experience, can put his hand up .

9 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

How's it different from Matt Targett at the start of last year?

If he's ready he's ready, it's a long season. No point in second guessing what Smith and the coaches will do, that's what they get paid for. Cash will be needed. As will Elmo. 

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

If he's ready he's ready, it's a long season. No point in second guessing what Smith and the coaches will do, that's what they get paid for. Cash will be needed. As will Elmo. 

Yes, I get that. They will decide if he's ready to start. I'm expecting him to start Elmo, but wont be at all surprised if he goes for Cash instead.

None of that makes the statement 'Villa have spent money on him and he will play.' any less nonsensical as Targett, bought for a similar fee, did not start the first game last season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Yes, I get that. They will decide if he's ready to start. I'm expecting him to start Elmo, but wont be at all surprised if he goes for Cash instead.

None of that makes the statement 'Villa have spent money on him and he will play.' any less nonsensical as Targett, bought for a similar fee, did not start the first game last season.

That's true. I'd like to think though that Smith had more of a measured look this summer at who he wanted. Last summer was hap hazard. Not suggesting Targett wasn't scouted extensively, but we had to assemble a team and bulk up the squad numbers significantly, and the general consensus was that even not withstanding the popular opinion that Taylor isn't good enough , we were very light in that position. And we were. To us it seemed like Targett would walk in. To him, maybe he didn't think one was much better than the other and would let them go at it. This summer is different though. We aren't light at RB. The Cash signing was one thought of by most fans as " not a position we needed to strengthen ". So you would have to think Smith thinks this guy will be an upgrade on what we have seen as he decided to dip into the market for him. I get your point though, no player should walk straight in. 

3 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Smith seems to have an issue with Guilbert for some reason. He's plain wrong if he thinks Neil Taylor can play in the PL and Fred can't.

As players, Cash is far more athletic but less technically proficient than Targett.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Smith seems to have an issue with Guilbert for some reason. He's plain wrong if he thinks Neil Taylor can play in the PL and Fred can't.

As players, Cash is far more athletic but less technically proficient than Targett.

For all Taylor's faults he's defensively solid.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Smith thought Targett was unfit when he first signed. It took him a few weeks to get to a reasonable match fitness. No such problems with Cash

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Targett hadn't played out a full season for either Fulham or Southampton.

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

Smith thought Targett was unfit when he first signed. It took him a few weeks to get to a reasonable match fitness. No such problems with Cash

And this!

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

For all Taylor's faults he's defensively solid.

This is true. He gets a bad rap, but there's nothing wrong with having a guy around who's mostly reliable and just does the basics well. I'm glad he's around, even if I'd never start him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Pretty sure he isn't thinking that.

I think he simply believes Matty Cash is a better prospect.

3 right fullbacks is simply one too many. 1 of them has to get off the wage bill and unfortunately for Fred that'll be him.

Elmo is going nowhere. Very reliable squad man and an incredibly important figure in the dressing room.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, Greenfly said:

This is true. He gets a bad rap, but there's nothing wrong with having a guy around who's mostly reliable and just does the basics well. I'm glad he's around, even if I'd never start him.

It's probably true of most fan bases having boo boy scapegoats, I can't speak for other clubs really, but was solid in our unbeaten run and finals that led to promotion and two of the highlights of Burton game were his assist, yes the not knowing where the ball was was hilarious but still put great ball in, and sick tackle when Burton player was in on goal. 

1 hour ago, Greenfly said:

Not seeing that myself. Positives are that he has reasonable pace and can make a tackle but the negatives are frightening lack of positional sense and an inability to provide any offensive threat. He scares me every game he plays because I just know the opposition's #1 threat will come from the right flank every time !

15 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Not seeing that myself. Positives are that he has reasonable pace and can make a tackle but the negatives are frightening lack of positional sense and an inability to provide any offensive threat. He scares me every game he plays because I just know the opposition's #1 threat will come from the right flank every time !

His positional sense is fine. He was number 1 for blocked crosses for defenders in PL when I checked last season around half way stage albeit limited appearances. Attacking no good we can all agree. Was fine in unbeaten run in promotion push but even then people have it in their minds he's crap and micro focus on any mistake. Mings had so many shockers last season many leading to goals conceded but doesn't have fans target on his head like Taylor the minute he steps on the pitch

18 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

His positional sense is fine. He was number 1 for blocked crosses for defenders in PL when I checked last season around half way stage albeit limited appearances. Attacking no good we can all agree. Was fine in unbeaten run in promotion push but even then people have it in their minds he's crap and micro focus on any mistake. Mings had so many shockers last season many leading to goals conceded but doesn't have fans target on his head like Taylor the minute he steps on the pitch

I can't help but think I fall in this category, but that opinion is based on having seen both him and Mings play equal amounts.

I've no personal vendetta against Taylor, and if you watch some of the Villa TV clips you can see his is an exceptional character to have around the club. People like him and he's a source of comedy.

But for me I question his ability and dont want him starting for us.

I accept Mings is prone to mistakes,  but hes a centre back where such mistakes will get punished and stand out more obviously. Those occasional mistakes aside he is a great all round defender and a defence based playmaker to boot.  Taylor makes a mistake and it is rarely published so won't stick in the memory as much as Mings.  And even if he doesn't make them very often on the defensive side, he makes them regularly when we're attacking.. multiple times a game. He severely limits our output on the wing where he plays. For me, he has to be a backup option or we're in trouble. 

29 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

His positional sense is fine. He was number 1 for blocked crosses for defenders in PL 

Yes he is because he drifts off his man over and over again and gifts an outlet ball to every opposition we play. If the stat measured how many crosses (blocked or otherwise) were made against any given full back, I'm confident Taylor would be near or at the top. Celebrating blocked crosses is like celebrating regaining possession ..... it just hides the fact you gave the ball away in the first place.

Agree he is not "crap" but I don't think he is good enough for the Premier unless somebody coaches the flaws out of his game.

18 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Yes he is because he drifts off his man over and over again and gifts an outlet ball to every opposition we play. If the stat measured how many crosses (blocked or otherwise) were made against any given full back, I'm confident Taylor would be near or at the top. Celebrating blocked crosses is like celebrating regaining possession ..... it just hides the fact you gave the ball away in the first place.

Agree he is not "crap" but I don't think he is good enough for the Premier unless somebody coaches the flaws out of his game.

All good points. Of course I don't want him starting and would love an upgrade as cover but defensively he's well ahead of Hutton who is hero worshipped because he scored a stunner against Blues but frequently left us exposed in defence. 

Â