Matty Cash

paul514

Kind of weird game for him today. Put in a lot of tackles I noticed but quite a few of his tackles, the ball ended up straight back into Leicester's posession soon after anyway and barely slowed their attacking mometum. Barnes also gave him a torrid time today in the first half.

Meanwhile, offensively he was very wild. It's like he just aimlessly lashes the ball with his feet really hard hoping something good might happen. The overhit cross is a prime example. This is where I feel Targett is much better at than him

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 3

An interesting insight into stats sites. whoscored.com have him as the clear man of the match, it's not even close. I'm not sure anybody who actually watched the game would even entertain the notion for a second

• Like 1

2nd half he was all over Harvey.  Kept him quiet whenever he received the ball near the touchline. 

Willing to deal with his aimless crossing if he puts in that level of effort every game. 

I think the FB's delivery into the box is integral in our system. Otherwise there is little point in the overlap or using the FB in attack. He's going to have to improve on his delivery , a lot. I agree with whoever mentioned it that this is the area Target excels in which is why he is so valuable imo. 

i said to my missus 6 months ago when we were watching Villa, Cash cant cross properly very good defensively most of the time, he's pretty rapid, but when he gets in a position to put a dangerous ball in he either stops and passes it back, or does some disaster of a cross 80-90% of the time.

i was repeating the exact same thing tonight, good defensively most of the time, rapid(ish), but cant cross for toffee.

He is really lacking in the crossing/forward ball scenarios.

Considering how important the full backs are under Gerrard in terms of getting up and down the pitch, as well as providing dangerous balls/crosses etc, both Targett and Cash need to up their game tbh, i think currently Targett has a decent final ball, but may not have the engine to get up and down as required, where as cash has the engine but not the final ball.

Will be interesting to see how they both develop.

• Like 1

Good player and an extremely likeable one at that but definitely needs to work on his end product. Does a lot of work getting into fantastic positions to then spurn them by either over-hitting crosses or scuffing shots. It's weird as well because he has good technique, it's not like a Hutton or Bellerin situation where they just look awkward at times when in these situations, he just seems to get his wires crossed in terms of the weight on the ball etc. If he had that going for him he'd be a pretty complete full back.

• Like 2

On 05/12/2021 at 14:40, M_Afro said:

He’s fine for now Cashy but there are elements of his game that really need to improve. If he doesn’t improve them, he will get replaced in the next year or so. The same could be said for Targett too.

I think Targett is getting replaced, or at least will get some competition in January... be shocked if they don't bring in a LB/LWB.  Cash I'm a huge fan of, looks dangerous...  but no assists and one goal isn't cutting it.  His crosses have been poor lately (okay pretty much all season) and decision making iffy as well.  Needs to be better in the final third or else I fully expect them to bring someone in before next year, or perhaps Kesler gets a look.  Need more production from our FBs.

Edited by TheLegendOfLeonBailey31

On 06/12/2021 at 08:42, Davkaus said:

An interesting insight into stats sites. whoscored.com have him as the clear man of the match, it's not even close. I'm not sure anybody who actually watched the game would even entertain the notion for a second

On 08/12/2021 at 02:23, IrishVilla10 said:

That's why @Davkaus

Â