Matty Cash

paul514

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think that would be a waste to be honest.

How else does he fit into the seemingly preferred 5 at the back system?

I just cannot see Smith dropping Watkins or Ings. Playing LWB gives Bailey the licence to push forward at all times with Dougie and Mings able to drift to cover. We would be a frightening attacking prospect. 

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I just cannot see Smith dropping Watkins or Ings. Playing LWB gives Bailey the licence to push forward at all times with Dougie and Mings able to drift to cover. We would be a frightening attacking prospect. 

If we switch up and play 5-2-3, essentially.  I think it will (or should) depend on who we play against, but sometimes we'll play with Bailey and Buendia/Traore wide (Watkins or Ings down the centre), sometimes we'll play with 2 up top and pack the centre of the pitch more.

Bailey possibly has the ability to play in a 2 as well, but not sure how well that would utilise his pace.

Nice problems to have :D 

• Like 2

We've moved a fair bit away from cash here... but to add my thoughts...

With Bailey missing so much of the season to international duty, and currently getting back to fitness to boot, he'll find his playing time fairly limited this season wherever we end up playing him. If we did try to use him to replace Targett at LWB, I couldn't see it working very well.

Cash has that right wing back spot absolutely nailed down though. He works in a 4 at the back too,  so no concerns that side of the pitch. 

7 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Well Buendia us our record signing and right now there is no room for him. And of course Bailey has been excellent so far. 

I'm 90% sure we are only playing 3-5-2 against top opponents, or when we don't have enough wingers like against Everton where we had a semi fit Traore, a Buendia who arrived on the day, a semi fit Bailey and el ghazi. Not exactly the options you want for a high intensity game. 

I think the 3-5-2 has shown it's weaknesses against Everton. Against a side that doesn't really want to attack it struggles to break teams down because you lack creativity and directness from width or through the centre (Buendia replacing McGinn would be interesting to me though). And whilst Ings and Watkins can do a lot of defensive work you are still ceding some cover on the wings if not a lot which is a worry when you are getting countered. 

I think realistically Ings came here so he didn't have to start every game. He had a number of niggling injuries last season and obviously had a number of devastating injuries early in his career. I think the reason he signed was so he can prolong his career.

Nominated for goal of the month :) 

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2272857

Bruno Fernandes (MUN 4-1 NEW) 11 Sep
Jesse Lingard (MUN 4-1 NEW) 11 Sep
Romelu Lukaku (CHE 3-0 AVL)* 11 Sep
Andros Townsend (EVE 3-1 BUR) 13 Sep
Naby Keita (LIV 3-0 CRY) 18 Sep
Matty Cash (AVL 3-0 EVE) 18 Sep
Jesse Lingard (WHU 1-2 MUN) 19 Sep
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (ARS 3-1 TOT) 26 Sep
*Lukaku's 1st goal

• 2 weeks later...

Do we know how he is?

He came off looking like it might be a muscle thing, but went to the bench rather than down the tunnel, which I'm taking as a good sign.

I noticed Kane Kesler had put on his socials a picture of him in Villa kit with "It always seems impossible until it's done" and I did wonder if he was suggesting a recall might be on the cards - that would mean bad news on Cash.

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Do we know how he is?

He came off looking like it might be a muscle thing, but went to the bench rather than down the tunnel, which I'm taking as a good sign.

I noticed Kane Kesler had put on his socials a picture of him in Villa kit with "It always seems impossible until it's done" and I did wonder if he was suggesting a recall might be on the cards - that would mean bad news on Cash.

Smith called it a dead leg and he had ice/wrap on the hamstring while he was on the bench. Don't remember the leg last season but it was a hamstring that kept him out of the last couple games. Could be a reoccurrence. 

• Like 1

Â