Matty Cash

paul514

Absolutely no way we should be looking at moving him on in my opinion. Fantastic work rate, great tackler, and I'm not convinced his crossing is as bad as some have said, certainly if the quality of his final ball has dipped, I'd suggest it's only temporary. I like him going forward, he should have had an assist against Manure, but unfortunately for him his (excellent) cross ended up taking Targett by surprise. Brilliant goal against Everton, and I seem to remember a number of occasions where he's been in acres of space in or around the opposition box, only to find himself being ignored by the likes of Ollie (not a dig at Ollie BTW). 

The fact that he's linked with a huge European club says to me that he's the sort of player we want to be keeping hold of.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, CVByrne said:

KKH needs a loan to the Championship and see what he can do there. We can then assess in the summer. Chambers / KKH might be the combo for RB next season.

We don’t even know if he can make it at the Championship level yet. I doubt he’ll become our first choice RB in the next 2 years.

• Like 1

I'd like him to say, but it's fantastic for us that we're in a position that clubs like Atletico are considering throwing money at players in our team. Obviously it's frustrating when we lose good players, but a couple of seasons ago, we could hardly give anyone away.

20 hours ago, romavillan said:

Summer is it, sorry then, in that case I'd tell whoever wanted to sign cash to **** off ;)

We don't want to change too much too quickly IMO, and Cash is going to get better. Gerrard would be wise to look after the spirit we had got together, and to be fair so far it seems he has done.

The team needs to constantly evolve to get us into Europe. We upgraded Targett to Digne, this type of transfer needs to be continuous at Villa. Every window we need to upgrade our players and push the team forward. To move forward we need money and FFP compliance. It would be a ridiculously poor decision to not accept 40m for Cash in the summer.

16 hours ago, av1 said:

Me too. Kid works his bollocks off. 

Kids who work their bollocks off are easy to find. It is how effective they are when doing so is the important bit.

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1

The way the full back position is evolving now is your FB has to be able to play in centre mid. It’s what the Man City FB’s are capable of doing. 

I think Digne can play there he is so comfortable on the ball. I don’t think Cash is at that level but has room to improve. 

Selling Cash for £40+million only makes sense if we replace with an elite fullback as I think cash is a tier or two below elite atm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

The way the full back position is evolving now is your FB has to be able to play in centre mid. It’s what the Man City FB’s are capable of doing. 

I think Digne can play there he is so comfortable on the ball. I don’t think Cash is at that level but has room to improve. 

Selling Cash for £40+million only makes sense if we replace with an elite fullback as I think cash is a tier or two below elite atm.

Things have changed a lot, haven't they? It used to be a case of 'oh, the right back's injured? Just chuck our back-up CM there, he'll do a job'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I would be very surprised to see a firm offer of £40 mill on the table..

I think its just typical journo speak.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Things have changed a lot, haven't they? It used to be a case of 'oh, the right back's injured? Just chuck our back-up CM there, he'll do a job'.

I think its all about relationships, between full backs and midfielders......There has to be a balance between who can defend and who can attack.

but of course in the ideal world, you get players, who can do both....that gets expensive and only the elite teams seem to do it.

Its dangerous to have a line up, with only the centre backs who have the nous to stop the opposition.

either 50/50 or 60/40....with defenders and attackers.

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

I know, I thought I was missing something, why is everyone so convinced that he's going to be absolutely brilliant and ready for a regular starting place? 

He's only 19, he might not make it as a Championship player yet.  People are strange

image.jpeg.92a006f9b91dd2f5cd9a208196480fa0.jpeg 

Can't see Atletico wanting to pay much more than half of £40m at best. They are tapping him up and that's just not cricket, even if it is now seen to be legal.:rant: If he wasn't with us, it could unsettle the player. As it is, neither the club or the player are likely to be tempted and that suits me fine. 

• Like 1

On 28/01/2022 at 13:47, lexicon said:

This. I don't think his strengths exactly match what we need from a full back. Defensively he's become very solid but the attacking side of things is where he's just not really up to it - 40m would be a no-brainer for me. 

I think we all like him, if you want to progress though it's absolutely a position to improve in. I'm not convinced he gets into any top 8 side.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think we all like him, if you want to progress though it's absolutely a position to improve in. I'm not convinced he gets into any top 8 side.

He's not far off it, he has his strength's and weaknesses but anyone who would turn their noses up at 40m need their heads checking. If true I'd cash (intended) in an worry about the problem after. There are plenty out there getable and better for less then half that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

He's not far off it, he has his strength's and weaknesses but anyone who would turn their noses up at 40m need their heads checking. If true I'd cash (intended) in an worry about the problem after. There are plenty out there getable and better for less then half that.

I think he's very adaptable. Can play in a 4 or as a wing back. I think hes also very settled with Konsa, Mings which helps. I'd just like to see more quality in the final 3rd and a few less rash penalties conceded.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think he's very adaptable. Can play in a 4 or as a wing back. I think hes also very settled with Konsa, Mings which helps. I'd just like to see more quality in the final 3rd and a few less rash penalties conceded.

I actually think he and Konza do not have that sixth sense about what the other is doing as well as I'd hope by now. He is a great reactive defender and has energy to burn but as you say he does have an issue in the final 3rd. I trust the coaches, if they can fix the gaps he will stay, if they cannot see it they will cash (again) in.

• Like 1

He’s 24 so he’s got a couple of years to develop before he should be having seasons at the top of his game. 

say 26-30 he could be in his prime and performing his best. 

if we sell him before then we will likely see him perform brilliantly for whoever has him next imo.

12 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

He’s 24 so he’s got a couple of years to develop before he should be having seasons at the top of his game. 

say 26-30 he could be in his prime and performing his best. 

if we sell him before then we will likely see him perform brilliantly for whoever has him next imo.

That's the balance, do we sit and wait or cash in and try to get something proven now. Feels like the strategy has shifted in this respect.

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

That's the balance, do we sit and wait or cash in and try to get something proven now. Feels like the strategy has shifted in this respect.

And for me, we sell him for £40m we need a better one for £50m

unless there’s a golden right back somewhere and their club is in incredible debt

• Like 1

Â