All Hallow's Eve

3_Penny_Opera

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

Ridiculous stuff like a town in Devon again, 

They are all mental in Devon. I mean cream on scone before Jam? They need to give their heads a wobble. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

It’s not connected to All Hallow’s Eve but the Ottery Tar Barrels is an amazing spectacle that not many people know about.  I saw it live once.  I shall not spoil the impact by telling you what happens.  Google it and watch the videos.  

The Obby Oss thing in Cornwall is pretty weird. That's in the summer though. 

The really eye catching one is Lewes Bonfire Parade.  That can be pretty spectacular. 

Isn't there somewhere in Scotchland were they burn a longboat and generally pretend to be vikings for the night. 

Funny how a lot of these things hang around in these modern times. 

Cooppers Hill Cheese Rolling is mental and of course the stunningly dangerous Atherstone Ball Game is probably the origin of foot the ball. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

Souling (together with soul cakes, which Pratchett used to take the piss out of) is a classic Halloween tradition in some parts of the UK. Basically involves a short chaotic play with lots of dressing up and fighting, followed by handing out cakes to the audience.

There's also a Devon tradition called pumpkin fettling, where a group stand together and a pumpkin hung on a rope above is swung at them, trying to, depending on the set up, either knock them off a plinth, or over, or out of a set area.

There's loads more around Bonfire Night though. Ridiculous stuff like a town in Devon again, I think, where they have people run through the town with flaming barrels on their back, which only people born in the town can take part in (presumably ab attempt to keep the population down).

That flaming Barrels thing is unbelievable. I'm amazed the health and safety brigade haven't put a stop to that.  Never seen that one before. 

39 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The Obby Oss thing in Cornwall is pretty weird. That's in the summer though. 

I lived for a few years in St Columb Major in Cornwall and they had the Silver Ball around Easter time. All the shop windows boarded up and a massive game of ....er.... brawling in the streets over a silver ball. It had been going on there forever. I hope it still is. I don’t think anyone from too far outside the town has really ever heard of it. Just another quirk of a tradition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

They are all mental in Devon. I mean cream on scone before Jam? They need to give their heads a wobble. 

Obviously the correct sequence. If the clotted cream is worthy of the name it should have a thick consistency, ideal for an indentation to hold the jam. 

This is my conclusion, based on scientific logic and extensive research. Not at all influenced by my wife being from Devon, no sir. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Obviously the correct sequence. If the clotted cream is worthy of the name it should have a thick consistency, ideal for an indentation to hold the jam. 

This is my conclusion, based on scientific logic and extensive research. Not at all influenced by my wife being from Devon, no sir. 

Get ye self to the food perversions thread foul beast.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2020 at 02:23, rjw63 said:

Coming back to VT, it's like putting on an old pair of slippers eh @3_Penny_Opera:)

Ha ha, yeah my friend I did miss the commentary and comaradrie as well.  Been strange schedule past decade and hard to follow, but last season and this one I've been figuring it out.  Hope you guys are all well over there!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 3_Penny_Opera said:

Ha ha, yeah my friend I did miss the commentary and comaradrie as well.  Been strange schedule past decade and hard to follow, but last season and this one I've been figuring it out.  Hope you guys are all well over there!

Just need a lotto win and all will be great 😉

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/08/2020 at 10:07, mjmooney said:

I don’t know why there is so much fuss over this because it’s quite logical. You layer the scone in order of density, for obvious practical reasons. 

If you are using clotted cream it goes on first. If it’s whipped cream it will need to be added on top. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

You put the clotted cream on first and layer it thick as it's clearly the best bit. 

And yes, I grew up in Devon. 

The final word on the matter here from Realdevonscones1983

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/08/2020 at 23:55, Chindie said:

There's also a Devon tradition called pumpkin fettling, where a group stand together and a pumpkin hung on a rope above is swung at them, trying to, depending on the set up, either knock them off a plinth, or over, or out of a set area.

There's loads more around Bonfire Night though. Ridiculous stuff like a town in Devon again, I think, where they have people run through the town with flaming barrels on their back, which only people born in the town can take part in (presumably ab attempt to keep the population down).

I grew up in Devon and I'm not familiar with either of those. 

However if bonfire night is included then Torrington (rotary club?) go all out for it and build massive wooden structures that they then burn down to raise money. They've done the Houses of Parliament and several other things. I think the plan this year was to do a model of the Mayflower as it has local links and is the 400 year anniversary. Might be of interest across the pond but think covid19 has put an end to that. 

Â