Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2020/21

Stevo985

On 11/03/2021 at 09:37, Stevo985 said:

Lucky Gundo scored in that game otherwise I think I'd have had a red arrow. Not sure I fancy him anymore with KDB back. He's still getting the odd return but he's playing so so deep.

I've got a spare million so he's just my Grealish placeholder.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Genie said:

(especially considering my research into players and fixtures is pretty much zero).

Yeah ... me too ...

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yeah ... me too ...

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

The most disappointing feeling in FPL is a week like the big DGW that you've been planning for for weeks and it doesn't really come off, and everyone ends up with better scores than you having checked their team 5 minutes after the deadline

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I've got a spare million so he's just my Grealish placeholder.

Yeah I could do the same. But I have a feeling we won't see Grealish for a while yet

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

The most disappointing feeling in FPL is a week like the big DGW that you've been planning for for weeks and it doesn't really come off, and everyone ends up with better scores than you having checked their team 5 minutes after the deadline

One thing I .... I won't say learned this season, but have certainly had emphasised to me over and over again is the unfeasibility of a hard and fast transfer roadmap. I don't necessarily mean the big obvious weeks like gameweeks 18, 19, 26 & 29. I mean things like planning the individual transfers week to week. Knowing who to bring in when, so that you end up with certain players and certain amounts of money on certain weeks.  I've basically changed my approach to road-mapping to that degree because it is usually utterly futile to think nothing will come up, or another player won't become desireable in the weeks leading up to the culmination of some masterplan.  Even now I'm plotting for week 33 but I haven't stressed* about it. Because I know things will change and happen in the interim and once I acknowledge that's the case then I'm happy with it and I embrace it. Once I've thought of a few different solutions then I can just go with whichever one fits in 2 or 3 weeks time.  If I stick to a hard and fast plan then I'll likely miss out on better solutions because I was inflexible and I'll also stress about every development that gets in the way of what I had planned. I don't mind planning for, say, being ready to bring a single player in on a particular week e.g. wanting to have KDB in on week 34. But I avoid things like changing my midfield one by one over the course of 3 or 4 weeks, because the landscape will definitely be different by the time they're in compared to the time I wanted to have them in. Excuse my ramblywaffle.

*stressed in the FPL context of the word, not actual stress.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

One thing I .... I won't say learned this season, but have certainly had emphasised to me over and over again is the unfeasibility of a hard and fast transfer roadmap. I don't necessarily mean the big obvious weeks like gameweeks 18, 19, 26 & 29. I mean things like planning the individual transfers week to week. Knowing who to bring in when, so that you end up with certain players and certain amounts of money on certain weeks.  I've basically changed my approach to road-mapping to that degree because it is usually utterly futile to think nothing will come up, or another player won't become desireable in the weeks leading up to the culmination of some masterplan.  Even now I'm plotting for week 33 but I haven't stressed* about it. Because I know things will change and happen in the interim and once I acknowledge that's the case then I'm happy with it and I embrace it. Once I've thought of a few different solutions then I can just go with whichever one fits in 2 or 3 weeks time.  If I stick to a hard and fast plan then I'll likely miss out on better solutions because I was inflexible and I'll also stress about every development that gets in the way of what I had planned. I don't mind planning for, say, being ready to bring a single player in on a particular week e.g. wanting to have KDB in on week 34. But I avoid things like changing my midfield one by one over the course of 3 or 4 weeks, because the landscape will definitely be different by the time they're in compared to the time I wanted to have them in. Excuse my ramblywaffle.

*stressed in the FPL context of the word, not actual stress.

Yeah I think we have similar approaches. I rarely find a time when I don't have a 3 or 4 week plan plotted on a spreadsheet somewhere. I find it very helpful to have those moves plotted out and it definitely helps me to avoid making rash transfers that may jeopardise something I'd planned for down the road.

But at the same time you can't rigidly stick by them. Like you said things change so quicly it would be mental to rigidly stick to a plan when the variables have changed.

Look at Bale now. 3 weeks ago i was mocking people bringing him in and calling him a trap. Now he's in my team. I always planned Son, but changed as I want to capitalise on a purple patch,

I think in any given season you can be beaten by people who just play off the cuff and have a good season. But I think that planning comes in handy to be consistently "good" at FPL (what people define as good is relative I guess)

I'd also say this season has been a particularly bad one for planning. Because it just seems like having the template team is the way to go. Any time people try to be clever it doesn't really seem to work.

In GW12, due to my horrendous start to the season, I made a conscious decision to just go boring and safe to try and stabilise. I've stuck to being safe since then, and the results speak for themselves!

OR GW27.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I think we have similar approaches. I rarely find a time when I don't have a 3 or 4 week plan plotted on a spreadsheet somewhere. I find it very helpful to have those moves plotted out and it definitely helps me to avoid making rash transfers that may jeopardise something I'd planned for down the road.

But at the same time you can't rigidly stick by them. Like you said things change so quicly it would be mental to rigidly stick to a plan when the variables have changed.

Look at Bale now. 3 weeks ago i was mocking people bringing him in and calling him a trap. Now he's in my team. I always planned Son, but changed as I want to capitalise on a purple patch,

I think in any given season you can be beaten by people who just play off the cuff and have a good season. But I think that planning comes in handy to be consistently "good" at FPL (what people define as good is relative I guess)

I have a little scrapbook section where I just jot down things on the horizon worth remembering. Where fixtures turn bad for players I own or turn good for players I don't. That helps me as a double-check from week to week whenever I'm doing a transfer.  But it's a constantly changing list which often gets ignored, but that's OK too. It's just to make sure I don't forget something and to make sure nothing takes me by surprise.  It started off as a "Do this this week, and then do that the next and then do that the next week" but that really doesn't work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd also say this season has been a particularly bad one for planning. Because it just seems like having the template team is the way to go. Any time people try to be clever it doesn't really seem to work.

In GW12, due to my horrendous start to the season, I made a conscious decision to just go boring and safe to try and stabilise. I've stuck to being safe since then, and the results speak for themselves!

OR GW27.png

I haven't had your struggles but then I've struggled to take the next step so I've probably played more safely than I would have, because I've kind of had something to protect all along the way..

dc6386e332dc1a7d325104671b11ffcc.png

• Like 2

I have Martinez as my only Villa defender and a clean sheet for us was hurting my overall rank. Lots must have double Villa defence.

Playing my free hit next week so had to make a transfer in preparation for the week after that. Gundo > JWP. 

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

I always loved Stones and Cancelo really 

Yeah that combination has saved my week for now. If they'd blanked I'd have been in a lot of trouble.

Gundo not playing means Bamford comes in for me for 1 point though. Thought I'd made a really good call benching him. Annoying as Dallas is my second sub

City have messed my week up, no Gundo or Sterling meaning Bamford off the bench for 1 and whilst Dias CS is nice so many others have Cancelo and Stones. 

A 1 minute Kane cameo would be helpful as he's a popular captain choice. 

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

City have messed my week up, no Gundo or Sterling meaning Bamford off the bench for 1 and whilst Dias CS is nice so many others have Cancelo and Stones. 

No Way Smh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

6 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Mine hasn’t worked out too bad. Gundo and Lewis (Newcastle) not playing brings Dallas (6) and Rafinha (3) off my bench.

I’m still annoyed about me bringing Lewis in after playing 9 full games, only to be dropped out of nowhere. I thought a Newcastle defender would be a decent differential for the blank, and I can see them frustrating Brighton, but it looks like he’s out of the team now. hmph!

Could've done without the injury to Son, for both this week and the next! 

Starting to worry Kane won't be right for the Euro's if Jose keeps running him into the ground. 

Looking like a bad week for me. 46 all out with no players playing tonight. I just know Mo Salah is going to punish me for selling him. Small red arrow as it stands but that will only grow tonight :(