Iceland v England/Denmark v England

andykeenan

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I will be amazed of the powers that be aren't starting to get concerned by the clueless performances. 

Injuries or no that England team is stacked to the tunnels with very talented attacking players that should be showing far more than that. 

It’s unforgivable with the talent we have at this moment, that we are not a genuine force in world football.

I thought Southgate was brilliant during the World Cup, and immediately after, but he has disappeared and looks utterly out of his depth. And stubborn.

Sadly, there is no real leadership at the FA, they won’t change anything unless he fails to qualify. They have no ambition or vision.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rino8 said:

7 interceptions/tackles alone

England team total: 7

Some of you are so bitter here its mental 

Any negativity I think is more of a hangover of Southgate 1. Not calling up Jack. 2. Finally having too because of drop outs. 3. Not playing him in a game that was crying out for him. 4. Not starting him today

We're all just frustrated for our boy, because well, we're proud of him. He's an absolute treasure of a talent and I honestly think there hasn't been an English player as talented since Gazza. 

You guys should feel just as proud as Phillips. I thought he was excellent in the role he was given. Lost the ball once but then didn't put a foot wrong. I think young hungry players especially from the championship would add a desire to the England team that is severely lacking. (Players are more interested in playing for their clubs now - see the last golden generation.)

Now Phillips is a Premier League player and obviously highly rated in the game in a position that not many truly understand. I wish him all the luck and and jealous that he didn't come to us. But fair play to him that he stayed at his boyhood club (like Jack) and now gets to play with them in the PL.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Rice has been crap in both games, doesn't deserve a place in the team.

he's a good old fashioned English clogger

really don't see the fuss over him, good when we don't have possession but piss poor when we do, everything goes 5 yards back or aimlessly 40 yards forward

58 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Rice is a great player if you are defending for 90 minutes but if want to dominate the game which England should be aiming for, he is a bit useless. Not worth 60 million and is just an upgraded Nakamba

yeah that's my opinion of him too, same with dier, puts himself about, hustles, gets stuck in...that's great apart from England should dominate 75% of the games we play, Rice doesn't show enough for the ball and then doesn't do enough on it, its great that he can tackle but he's a huge part of the reason that its coming straight back

and in that regards I think Philips will end up being a better player for England and where I think Henderson has become underrated 

Declan Rice wouldn't get into the Scotland midfield.

He is not England's top 5/6 midfielder, which wouldn't be bad in itself if he suited a particular system.

Than again, hoofball suits him so maybe Gareth has got that one right.

Rice is bang average Premier League level midfielder, certainly worth no-where near some of the astronomical fees banded about earlier in the season, too limited on the ball.

One of those players a certain crowd love to massively overrate and anyone who doesn't agree "doesn't understand football".

23 minutes ago, penguin said:

Rice is bang average Premier League level midfielder, certainly worth no-where near some of the astronomical fees banded about earlier in the season, too limited on the ball.

One of those players a certain crowd love to massively overrate and anyone who doesn't agree "doesn't understand football".

Reo Coker syndrome

23 hours ago, thunderball said:

It’s unforgivable with the talent we have at this moment, that we are not a genuine force in world football.

I thought Southgate was brilliant during the World Cup, and immediately after, but he has disappeared and looks utterly out of his depth. And stubborn.

Sadly, there is no real leadership at the FA, they won’t change anything unless he fails to qualify. They have no ambition or vision.

I can understand Gareth Southgate getting bashed over in the Jack Grealish thread after not putting him on till the 76th minute, but I also thought he was pretty good at the World Cup. Someone wrote to the BBC live text yesterday that England were rubbish at the World Cup!? Er... we got to the semi-final! We were great against Panama, ok in the other two group games, good against Sweden, quite good against Colombia at times and good against Croatia in the first half before running out of steam after a while in the second. How were we rubbish?! I really don't agree with that, that's OTT and just too harsh.

Also considering that we did get to that semi, I thought that does make us a genuine force in world football. (As long as we don't have the lacking in creativity midfield three that started last night as our midfield! Sorry guys but... just one shot in the whole of the first half and it wasn't even on target. And you had Kane and Sterling ahead of you). :s

We were a resounding meh in the WC

Hung on against Colombia, last minute winner against Algeria, a joke against Belgium twice.

'Great against Panama' is like Mike Tyson being great against an 8 year old child.

• Like 2

We had some clever set pieces that played in to the hands of VAR, they've gone 

We had a solid back 3, that's gone 

We had no midfield, that's still there 

We were decent at the WC, good vs Sweden, did enough vs Colombia, ran out of steam vs Croatia, really poor vs belgium x 2

I think the great weather, the lack of expectation and just the general euthoria of it all (the beer...) puts a rose tint on it, the semi final definitely doesn't put an excuse on what we did this week, we have undoubtedly got worse with an arguably better squad 

Â