Cheap or free camping in the middle of Chile?

robby b

I spent two weeks travelling in Chile in 2007 but stayed in hotels or hostels (apart from one night when I hired a tent in a national park). I'm hoping to go back there next year for as long as possible. The plan is to use my tent quite a lot to save money. Santiago will be my base and I need to find a few places in or near the Santiago region where it's cheap or somehow maybe even free to camp. If anyone has camped in Chile before and you have any tips or info I'd be really grateful.

Edited by robby b

The thing is I've read on a few forums that campsites in Chile are generally expensive (in some cases a night in your tent apparently costing about as much as a night in a decent enough hotel! Yikes). :s So then I was wondering about trying to find a few off the beaten track places in the countryside for some 'wild camping' but have gone off the idea... I suddenly considered that I'd probably be breaking the law (unlike in Scotland, which I think is an unusual case), plus it would be a bit scary, maybe a bit dangerous, and tough and complicated too, e.g. no taps for drinking water, no showers, no toilet facilities...

Edited by robby b

• 2 weeks later...
Â