Odsonne Edouard

ramshackler

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Dean Smith has revealed how Mbwana Samatta "reluctantly agreed to go" to Fenerbahce after telling the striker his game-time at Villa would be limited.

The Tanzanian only signed at the back-end of January and, just 16 appearances later, he's left to join the Turkish giants on a permanent four-year deal.

Samatta, 27, scored just two goals (both headers) in 16 games - one on his Premier League debut at Bournemouth and another at Wembley in the Carabao Cup final in March.

Since then, though, lockdown commenced and a barren goal-drought followed as Samatta failed to score in any of Villa's final 10 games as they eventually clinched survival.

Smith, meanwhile, went out and signed £33 million Ollie Watkins this summer while it's believed £19 million addition Bertrand Traore can play as a No.9 if needed. Keinan Davis, 22, signed a new four-year deal just last week, too.

"I think it was the right decision in the end," Smith said of Samatta's move to Fenerbahce. "He couldn’t be guaranteed minutes here and we’ve paid out a record amount of money for Ollie Watkins, who we believe is going to be a top striker here.

"Keinan Davis has signed a new contract as well and we have Wesley to come back in the new year.

"We just can’t stockpile players and we had an offer from Fenerbahce and I think Ally reluctantly agreed to go.

"We’re disappointed it didn’t work out how we all wanted because he’s a good player and a really good lad.

"But the club has moved on from that and we wish him well in his career now."

Samatta trained with his new club on Friday and penned an emotional message to his former employers: "I wish to thank Aston Villa for giving me the opportunity to fulfill my dream of playing in the Premier League.

"A special thanks to all Villans for the amazing support you gave me during my time at the club. I wish you all the best of luck for the rest of the season."

As for the boss, he was asked whether he's short up front given he has just Watkins and Davis as out-and-out strikers to chose from in a situation that mirrored last season when he went with Wesley, Davis and Jonathan Kodjia.

"I don’t believe (we're short) because we also have Traore who can play there as well. He’s a player whose positions have been wide right or centre forward so if needs be, we’ve certainly got one who can play there as well."

Smith added: "We want to add goals from all of our forward-thinking players. Jack (Grealish) had his most productive season last year in terms of goals and assists and Trezeguet scored six I think last season. We want our goals to come from all areas but we’re hoping Ollie can be that player that can come good."

I think we've tried to do the same with Guilbert too, hence him coming out on social media declaring his love for us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Pretty much what I've been saying over and over with people demanding loads more signings. I'll use this as reply in future

I have read that a certain female poster on here used to do just this in her cellar but before my time, Julie was it? 

16 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

So Smith is just making stuff up when he said we broke our transfer record on Watkins who he believes is going to be a top striker here?

I do understand the point but Rashford, Martial and Greenwood are all top STs who often play wide.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

So Smith is just making stuff up when he said we broke our transfer record on Watkins who he believes is going to be a top striker here?

You’re getting a little defensive about this. He wasn’t suggesting anything about Smith making stuff up in the post you quoted.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Am I the only one who gets so angry I want to thump someone everytime I hear all call for a thread to be closed? 

Get a life. 

Mods - can we close this thread down now please? It’s inciting violence and I’m concerned for @sidcow’s missus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

You’re getting a little defensive about this. He wasn’t suggesting anything about Smith making stuff up in the post you quoted.

Nothing of the sort. I just think people are inventing scenarios in their heads based on what were tenuous rumours in the first place

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t understand this Stasi like attitude that s everything should be shut down if it doesn’t tow the party line. This is basically an online debating society, let people debate. Nobody is forced into reading a thread.  There is only a week until the end of the window anyway. 

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Am I the only one who gets so angry I want to thump someone everytime I hear all call for a thread to be closed? 

Get a life. 

It reminds me of a campaign of dislike of unhappy posters scared to see quality players arrive!...

Yet, they have a major wankfest over a Callum Wilson thread and he's the best striker we would possibly attract!?

Just my two cents...   

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Nothing of the sort. I just think people are inventing scenarios in their heads based on what were tenuous rumours in the first place

Fair enough. I do agree though. Given the evidence, common sense would suggest we aren’t in for a £30+ million striker after having spent £30+ million on one while sitting at about £90 million total with pressing issues elsewhere on the pitch.

Â