Odsonne Edouard

ramshackler

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Can’t go into a season with only two fit strikers though.

I think we will buy one - it won't be Edouard at £30m-£40m though 

Think we'll be sniffing around £16m-£20m mark

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Who out of Luiz McGinn or back 4 would you drop because I don't think management see them as not good enough so you're talking about signing a player to possibly be cover and fight for a spot

Competition for places. I can't see Luiz, McGinn, Mings or Konsa playing every single minute. One or two injuries and we are back to Hause and Nakamba

You buy a new midfielder and if McGinn has to start on the bench, so be it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think we will buy one - it won't be Edouard at £30m-£40m though 

Think we'll be sniffing around £16m-£20m mark

Not sure I agree with you.  It’ll depend on the player, seems a fair bit of smoke around Edouard and recently only link to Brewster.

edit: forgot the link to King (not a fan)

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, ramshackler said:

We made a huge mistake last year going into season with only Wesley and Davis. We paid for that mistake.

No way if samatta goes will we make the same mistake. I definitely think another forward is incoming

Traore has played forward and good scoring record from there

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Traore has played forward and good scoring record from there

Yeah and Rashica can play there as well, but no..they are being signed to play their strongest positions. It's fantastic they add such flexibility to the squad. But I reckon a shock is incoming

2 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

Yeah and Rashica can play there as well, but no..they are being signed to play their strongest positions. It's fantastic they add such flexibility to the squad. But I reckon a shock is incoming

A shock? Or a surprise? 

2 hours ago, ramshackler said:

Of course they are, but it wouldn't surprise me to think they are ALSO being bought with that in mind.

It puts us in a much better position if we happen to get injuries, that they will be able to fill in relatively seamlessly.

Seems we want the whole foward line to be interchangable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Who out of Luiz McGinn or back 4 would you drop because I don't think management see them as not good enough so you're talking about signing a player to possibly be cover and fight for a spot

I agree with you Kiwi that I think first choice looks ok across much of the park and I think management rates the whole squad. But in terms of areas to improve... Smith said this week he sees Grealish, McGinn, Mings, Luiz as his A-List players who would always play when fit, and that he sees the goal now as getting to having 8 or 9 in that category. Guessing Watkins goes right in there.

7 hours ago, ramshackler said:

We made a huge mistake last year going into season with only Wesley and Davis. We paid for that mistake.

No way if samatta goes will we make the same mistake. I definitely think another forward is incoming

Last season we had Kodjia too.

In terms of numbers we were fine, unlucky to have two injured at the same time. But Smith didn't want Kodjia when he was available.

How I see it is we have two good strikers in (Watkins and Davis) and a much improved Wesley who will hopefully show his worth when he's back (more of a hope than a fact to be honest). Traore could play as a striker, so in terms of depth I think we're fine. I'd say now we need a CM, then a backup CB and LB.

8 hours ago, ramshackler said:

But we aren’t repeating that mistake we have Watkins, Wesley, Samatta, Davis, Traore and possibly Rashica.

21 minutes ago, paul514 said:

But we aren’t repeating that mistake we have Watkins, Wesley, Samatta, Davis, Traore and possibly Rashica.

As soon as 40m was mentioned this had no legs in it if it even ever did. We got our striker In Watkins and one that we are all happy with. I can’t see anyone else coming in as Davis will get another chance this season, if anyone does come in then I suspect it would be more like a Brewster type player at half the price being touted for Edoaurd.. 

40m to sit on the bench, I just can’t see this is happening

Edited by Cosmik Debris

3 minutes ago, Cosmik Debris said:

As soon as 40m was mentioned this had no legs in it if it even ever did. We got our striker In Watkins and one that we are all happy with. I can’t see anyone else coming in as Davis will get another chance this season, if anyone does come in then I suspect it would be more like a Brewster type player at half the price being touted for Edoaurd.. 

40m to sit on the bench, I just can’t see this is happening

We should have signed him instead of Watkins in my opinion but it’s done now, and therefore like yourself I put us signing Eduoard at zero.

Again like you if we were to sign someone it won’t be for more than 20 and that would be a waste as other areas of the squad need addressing far more, you quoted my post showing we have 5 maybe 6 striker options currently, why people think we need another before a central defender, a central midfielder, a second wide forward or a left back is beyond me.

9 hours ago, Awol said:

I'd hope we use that kind of money to test Burnley for Tarkowski instead. Think Edouard is a luxury signing at this point, but Tarkowski with Mings and Martinez would be worth quite a few points. 

a bit OT but they want 50 mil for him. I don't think we'd have the money for that. But I think Edouard at 30 mil would be more tempting for Celtic. 

5 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Samatta looks like moving on. Traore and Rashica I don’t think are coming in as strikers. 

Possibly moving but it still leaves all those other players.

As for the new wide forward/s it doesn't matter if they are coming in to play as a wide forward the fact remains they also play at striker so can fill in if needs be for a handful of games.

Â